Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just got this in... I will pass it on without comment... but please leave yours. :)

Effective on Thursday, September 15, 2011, by 5:00 PM ET, Dish Network will launch the DRM setting HDCP (High Bandwidth Digital Copy Protection) on HBO Comedy. HDCP prevents the unauthorized copying of content by only allowing viewing on HDCP-enabled HDTV’s. This setting has been added to both the HD and SD versions of the channel for customers using ViP set-top boxes with digital (HDMI) outputs.

More information on DRM and HDCP

Digital Rights Management
Digital Rights Management is a method of controlling access to copyrighted material such as movies. All pay TV companies must comply with DRM regulations. In an effort to prevent piracy, industry standards now require DISH Network to apply specific content protection to movies, including HDCP protection and limited recording.

Only Pay-Per-View, Video On Demand, and DishONLINE movies are impacted by Digital Rights Management. There are no restrictions on sports, events, and adult content.

Limited Recording
Limited recording restricts the amount of time that some Pay-Per-View movies can be kept on a DVR. If a movie has limited recording, once the customer starts viewing the movie from their DVR they have 24 hours to watch the movie as many times as they would like. After the 24-hour time period they will no longer be able to view the movie on their DVR. If they try to watch it, they will be prompted to delete the movie.

A limited recording message will appear on the movies that are affected when ordering the movie with a remote. There are also messages through web ordering, the IVR, and with customer service representatives.

License Window
The license window is the length of time that a movie may air on Pay-Per-View. License windows range in time period but are generally from approximately 3 months to 6 months. A movie with limited recording will not be available to view once the license window is over.

HDCP
High Bandwidth Digital Copy Protection is a form of digital copy protection which was developed to protect content as it travels across digital connections. DISH Network and other cable and satellite providers have been required to activate HDCP on every receiver. To verify if the customer has HDCP-capable equipment, press the Menu button on their remote then select "System Setup," "Installation," "System Info," and "Next." Verify that "HDCP" displays "Yes." If "No" then either their TV or digital video connection is not HDCP-capable. If your connection is not digital, the receiver will not be able to verify that their TV is HDCP capable.

So this would mean that viewing over component video, which is the only thing my old TV supports, would be blocked?

Greedy bastards.

"All pay TV companies must comply with DRM regulations."

This is not technically true. All must comply only because they won't all refuse to comply. If they would, the content providers would have to rejoin the reality-based community or die.

HBO should be whipped for this crap. I'm glad someone had already figured a work around. My main TV is HDMI but bdrm TV is component only.
The only issue is the box is out of stock. and who knows if it will ever be back in stock. :(

As far as the likes go I am not working on anything tonight. The other night it was off as I turned vBSEO off. But that is back on and running.

Weird, it still works on my 622 in the other room.

mine doesn't work, but that might be because I do not have an HD tv in the other room.

so does this mean that the 722's and 622's are not going to be able to watch HBO Comedy if the other tv's in the other rooms are all using coaxial cable in TV2 mode?

Well the TV the 622 is connected to is a six year old Olevia LT32-HVE that supports HDCP. But it only has one DVI input and no HDMI input. The DVI input is occupied by the PS3, so I had to connect the 622 via component.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)