hdd failing or something else.....

jct21

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 26, 2018
kentucky
for about 2 weeks now im having jerky tv from both the hopper and joeys. its as if pause/play is being pressed repeatedly every 2 seconds. it will do that for about 30 seconds then stop and pick back up again a minute or so later. rebooting the h3 helps for a while but it doesnt stop it from coming back.

im thinking it could be a drive failing. can you guys think of anything else that might cause that type of behavior? there are no error messages. other than that & the occasional 0 tuners available from one of the joeys it works normally. the tests come back fine also. dish tech support wanted to access my hopper remotely and said everything looks good.

its got a seagate video drive in it. st2000vm005. ive had horrible experiences with seagate desktop drives, but the video drives are supposed to be fairly good. date of manufacture is march 2020 so its not that old. not sure if this h3 was previously used or not. i have a large amount of hard drives. new and used. im considering trying a wd 4tb or temporarily an ssd. i used a ssd in my genie for a year without issue. worked great. but it did have a high tbw number though. the hopper seems to have a lot more going on in the background than a genie does so an ssd might not last as long in it.

The Hoppers requires specific hard drives. You cant just go swapping out with just any drive. And definately NOT an SSD. You should call Dish Tech, they'll probably send you a new Hopper.

The Hoppers requires specific hard drives. You cant just go swapping out with just any drive. And definately NOT an SSD. You should call Dish Tech, they'll probably send you a new Hopper.
KAB is giving you good advice. Even if you own your Hopper, DISH will replace it for you usually for the cost of postage. If you are leasing it you don't want to be messing with it anyway.

I just started having the exact same problem on my Hopper, but it seems to be only on my local Fox station, as I have not noticed it on anything else...

Reactions: charlesrshell
dish is gonna replace it. they are sending out a tech Monday. would have been sooner but that was my only free day. I took a video of the problem & offered to send it via email but dish said that wasn't necessary. I will show the tech and see what he says. but I'm glad its getting replaced. thanks guys for the advice, its appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)