HDHomerun, DVBViewer Clear QAM and OTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
Since I have moved, I have not had a satellite dish to play with, so I turned my hobbies to SW and getting what TV I can get "free" of course. :)

I put up my new postage stamp size OTA antenna

Choice-Select-cho5003-antenna.jpg

for receiving all the local channels in HD. It's not very big, and I am 25 -30 miles away from the towers, but it has a built in amplifier, and does an outstanding job for me.

I hooked that up the next morning after I moved in, and got my TVs all hooked up to it, and hooked up my computers and my original HDHomerun tuner for recording that I have always used.

Within a week I had cable internet installed, and being one of this "family" of like minded people, I just had to see what was available for free. Needless to say, it was worthwhile. :)

So I began thinking about a second HDHomerun just for recording "free" channels. I found one on Craig's list for $40.00, so I picked it up.

Got it hooked up to the HDHomerun, and then the fun started. There was very little help on the internet for getting clear QAM channels on the HDHR. I already know how to use DVBViewer on both satellite, and for OTA, and that is my program of choice for recording. So, I started experimenting.

I posted this at the DVBViewer forums, and on the Silicondust forums.

I'll copy from there, and then the tweaked improvements on the settings.

First post with some success:

I have made some progress.

I have successfully scanned in my OTA ATSC digital channels by accessing the other tuner.

I can see signal as it scans in DVBViewer using the ATSC Cable transponder lists.

I have manufactured both an IRC, and an HRC transponder list, and tried scanning them.

No success on the clear cable channels so far.

At least I know it can receive channels, and nothing is blocking the signals.

I am very impressed with the newer version of DVBViewer. The EPG works much better than version 4.0 on the OTA channels.

Still working on the clear QAM, just not quite there yet.

Second Post with preliminary settings:

I got it to work finally. :biggrin:

If anyone is interested, it is kind of a process to make it work. At least it was for me.

1. The setup in the HDHomerun. Part of that entails a registry setting.
2. Backup your registry, close all open programs, open regedit, navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\Tuners\XXXXXXXX and set the BDAPIDFilter entry to "Enabled" (no quotes, case sensitive). Repeat for the -1 tuner. I got that off the silicon dust forums.
3. To get the normal ATSC OTA channels to come in, you need to set the main application in the HDHomerun setup to ATSC Remap and scan in you channels there.
4. Set the tuner in DVBViewer options/hardware to only have two boxes ticked, and they are the has CI module, and open whole transponder.
5. Scan in your OTA channels inside of DVBViewer using ATSC and the ATSC transponder list.
6. Go back into the HDHomerun setup, and change the main application to ATSC QAM remap.
7. Go into DVBViewer, and set the tuner assigned to your QAM HDHR tuner as preferred, and tick the two boxes as above.
8. Scan in the channels within DVBViewer using ATSC as the source, and using the ATSC Cable Std.

At that point, everything should work.

I tried having both tuners set to normal, and it would switch back and forth, but the switch was slow, and sometimes the video wouldn't come in.

So what I am doing for now, is if I want to watch OTA, I go into the options/hardware settings, and set that tuner as preferred, and the others to "Do Not Use".
If I want to watch cable, I go back into the options/hardware, and set that tuner as preferred.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

It only took me since yesterday to figure it out.

Thanks to those who responded here.

Final post with tweaked settings:

I followed Griga's direction above, and unticked the CI Module, and unticked the Open Whole Transponder box.

I did however tick the box by the Stop Stream While Tuning.

I did not change the registry setting that I had enabled in the previous post.

DVBViewer will not scan in channels with the tuner being used is set to normal. I had to set the other tuners to "Do Not Use" in order to get the channels to scan in, while setting the tuner being used to "Preferred".

DVBViewer will change back and forth between OTA and QAM with both tuners set to normal, but the channel switching is very slow, and sometimes only the audio comes in. I get much better performance with setting the tuner that I am using to Preferred, and setting the other tuners to "Do Not Use".

Part of that may be due to the speed of this computer. It is a P4 3.2Ghz with 2GB of RAM and SATA hard drives. It does have an Nvidia GeForce 6200 video card with 128Mb of video RAM running Windows XP SP4.

DVBViewer scanned in all the clear channels, but scanned in a few with audio only. I used the channel editor and set the Video PID to be the ame as the PCR PID, and the channels came in and displayed fine. :biggrin:

I am very pleased to have it working in DVBViewer.

I used the same Transponder list, and set the tuners the same way in Transedit with no results.

I had not changed my program from version 4.0 on my other computers simply because I had such a hard time making it work originally, and didn't want to fix something that wasn't broken.

The newer version of DVBViewer is very nice, and I have already switched one of the other computers over to the new version. I will follow up with the final computer today or tomorrow.

I just wanted to let you all know that I am still in the FTA hobby in one form or the other. :cool:

I did finally got both the OTA and the QAM tuners to work with them being set to "normal" in the hardware settings, and can switch back and forth between channels without problems.

I also discovered that if you want the OTA EPG to work properly, you must tick the "open whole transponder" option in the hardware tuner section. :)

I got Transedit to work and scan in the channels for both OTA and QAM as well.

You can follow the other instructions and interactions with a guy name Griga on the DVBViewer forum, here.

It's good to see you are still experimenting after your move! And, it's good to see you still posting here, too.

Oh yes, the experimenting never seems to stop. As far as posting, I am always reading, and have posted recently in a thread or two that caught my attention.

I've got my eye on a 1.2 M off-set dish that I know of, and I want to let a few months pass by with just my 100 foot long short wave antenna out there by itself to see if there is any reaction from the neighbors. Then perhaps I'll go get that dish and begin again. :)

I'll also need to find, or buy another 3' X 3' NPRM that I think might support such a dish.

Just have to wait and see. :cool:

The use of DVBViewer might appeal to other users, here.
It's designed for FTA, so it'll control a lot of sat receiver cards.
And getting the OTA integrated should appeal to some members...if they're listening... :)

I took Linuxman's good advice last year, and got an HDhomeRun box made by Silicon Dust.
It's been running fine on a big laptop (core2duo) as a dedicated OTA PVR using Vista Media Center.
Just had to add a $15 Windows remote control (from Amazon).
That computer will never do FTA, but I'm okay with that.

So, what's my point? Well, two:
- the HDhomeRun ethernet dual tuner is sweet! Get the white one for less money, if you can find one.
- apparently that DVBviewer software is worth a serious thought. The new version is much better than it was last year when I took a look at it.

I have been using the Silicon Dust dual tuner HDhomeRun unit for two years and couldn't imagine using a standard TV and recorder to manage viewing and recording ever again! Even though I am frustrated with the limitations of Windows Media Center to provide a way to watch all of the channels that can be scanned and viewed with the HDhomeRun unit, I use WMC to manage recording and archiving for local network programming. When I want to view all of the other scanned and available channels, I use the QuickTV application that is bundled with the Silicon Dust system.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to have WMC display all received DTV channels rather than only those channels that are supposedly available and mapped to my zip code?

Anyone have any suggestions on how to have WMC display all received DTV channels rather than only those channels that are supposedly available and mapped to my zip code?
I get around 90 sub-channels here in LA, but VMC only seems to have 'room' and support something like 56 (as I recall).
Didn't say anything about zip codes, sounded more like the programmers were a little Short Sighted!

I can change the my Zip Code in WMC to view different channel lists and it appears that WMC doesn't display channels automatically that it finds during channel scans unless it it in the DMA for the Zip Code.

I can manually add each channel, but then need to figure out each channel listing name to have EPG.

Love the Silicon Dust! Hate WMC!!!

So I better understand what you are asking, are you referring to subchannels that QuickTV finds but that don't show up in the EPG for the specific provider your have selected? It sounds like you know how to manually add the channel but my guess is that the manually added channel may appear but not have EPG. Yes, WMC is somewhat limited, its truly a shame that SageTV is no more.

Sorry that I hi-jacked this thread. I will take the question over to the Terrestrial subforum.

Correct, but not only subchannels. WMC does not automatically display all channels found during a scan. It only lists channels that are supposed to be received in the zip code entered in the set-up screen.

Without EPG, the channel is useless to timeshift and it is only by chance that I catch a show on a channel without EPG. To manually program a channel into the WMC channel list you first need to know the channel exists, what channel it is transmitted on, the virtual channel and the name ID for EPG. I rarely get EPG on channels that are manually.

QuickTV is too basic. Wish that there was a better user interface for the Silicon Dust products!

Last edited:
Sorry that I hi-jacked this thread. I will take the question over to the Terrestrial subforum.

QuickTV is too basic. Wish that there was a better user interface for the Silicon Dust products!

Don't be concerned about hi-jacking the thread, as long as the questions can get answered. :)

Have you tried the Totalmedia Program that comes with the HDHomerun?

It does work pretty well as much as I have used it. Finds all the channels ok, can use both tuners if you have the dual tuner model. It records in mpeg 2 format. The only flaw that I could see, is that it doesn't have the full functionality using the WMC remote like the WMC does. The other thing that I didn't care for was there was not a way to start recordings 5 minutes early, nor extend them 5 minutes after the show was supposed to be over.

That's why I always preferred DVBViewer over WMC or TotalMedia.

Thanks for the suggestion. TotalMedia wasn't bundled when I purchased the HDHomerun two years ago. I will look into the program and give it a try.

I tried DVBViewer last year and I just couldn't get comfortable with the interface, but it worked well in incorporating the PCI S2 tuner and HDHomerun into one application.

For navigation I use a Lenovo Mini Wireless Keyboard N5901. Have all functions at my fingertips and like the thumb trackball. Also have a WMC remote in the back of a drawer as it would never play nice with OS7 / 64

Thanks for the suggestion. TotalMedia wasn't bundled when I purchased the HDHomerun two years ago. I will look into the program and give it a try.

I tried DVBViewer last year and I just couldn't get comfortable with the interface, but it worked well in incorporating the PCI S2 tuner and HDHomerun into one application.

For navigation I use a Lenovo Mini Wireless Keyboard N5901. Have all functions at my fingertips and like the thumb trackball. Also have a WMC remote in the back of a drawer as it would never play nice with OS7 / 64

Here's the answer to the Totalmedia question from Silicon Dust's website.

TotalMedia is provided as an option for those who do not have other PVR software such as Windows Media Center. It will not be listed as an option if Windows Media Center is installed on the PC. It is available to those who own a dual-tuner home model HDHomeRun; it is not available with the commercial TECH model or single tuner models.

If they are going to provide it for some, they should provide it for all. Of course, that is just my opinion.

Makes sense that I never found the software. I had WMC preinstalled on the WIN 7 / 64 install of my custom HTPC build... Thanks for the insight! Too bad that I would need to uninstall WMC just to try this software! Probably give it a try when I have time to set WMC back up .... Just in case.....

Too bad that I would need to uninstall WMC just to try this software!

If you have another PC on your network that does not have WMC installed, then install the HDHomeRum software there. That will give you the download link and key. Once downloaded, install on your machine that has WMC.
Note the link and key only showup when you select TotalMedia as the Main Application in the HDHomeRun Setup, under the application tab. Then the download link and key will showup under the application.

Last edited:
Two HD Homerun tuners and Happauge DVB-S running

Just my 0.02 cents on how I'm using my HD Homerun tuners with Windows 7, EYETV and VLC

I've been running HD Homerun tuner 2nd Gen and the newer Dual ATSC tuner on Comcast QAM signal for about 6 months now. I have the 1st tuner on OTA antenna "Channel Master grid", and the 2nd tuner on the Comcast QAM. Separate COAX runs by the way to ease the install pains. I'm sharing the OTA coax with the KU dish on diplexer. Between OTA and QAM signals, I'm seeing close to 60 channels, lots of bull crap channels on the Comcast side, mostly QVC type, local city/government, lots of Spanish stations. I'm about 30 miles from one of the OTA antenna farms in my area, so good reception. I'm letting Windows 7 Media Center manage everything for me pretty much on default settings. On the HD Homerun setup, the HD Homerun picks up and sees both HD Homerun tuners as separate device addresses, you have to figure out which one is running as OTA and which one is running on QAM signal in your HD Homerun software, once you figure that out, Windows Media Center pretty much does all the work for you pulling in every channel it sees. Windows Media Center will prompt you on both on the OTA and QAM by your ZIP code and which cable operator your using by your zip code for the program guide. In my case I have Comcast, but it also gives your options for the other carriers in your area. In my case I had Comcast, Surewest, AT&T and one other local ISP to choose from for station guides. With the Nova-S Happauge PCI card in the mix, My KU dish is on the 97west bird. WMC also supports that card very good. some of the KU stations will show up in the WMC program guide, some dont have any program guide. I think the program guide setup looks to be a nightmare to figure out, I was also able to get my HD Homerun tuners to work with VLC Media player, I didn't know what I was doing, but I manage to figure it out and was able to play back some stations.

Just a side note, the new HD Homerun tuner I bought from eBay, came with the EYETV software for the MAC, I happen to have a Hackintosh on stand by not really doing anything, with the EYETV software installed, you can stream live TV to your iPhone or iPad in my case. This software is really nice, some what easy to setup and configure. The iPad EYETV app is $9.99 "used to be free few months ago" The company Elgato which makes the EYETV software also supports HD Homerun boxes, and they also sell a DVB-S USB tuner, but only works in Europe from my understanding. Silicon Dust needs to make a DVB-S HD Homerun tuner as well for the FTA guys.

I just picked up a Roku XS box not too long ago, that’s another can of worms, and story I'm finding out with the hidden Roku channels you can subscribe too. :)

I read through both your write up here and on the dvbviewer forum about configuring the HDhomerun on transedit. I cannot seem to replicate your results. would you mind taking a look at these screen shots and let me know if they are what i should be putting?

Thanks
HDHOMERUN.jpgtransedit settings.jpgtransedit.jpg

Also FYI if your running up against the 4 tuner limit WMC, just google tuner salad. It moves the limit to 12 (really weird on MS's part to put an arbitrary limit on tuners). I left D* for fios and this really helped a lot.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)