hdmi and 622

rvanya

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
I haven't had any problems as of yet concerning the hdmi out on my 622-- until now I think.

I have the audio hooked up to my receiver via optical and my dvd and vip running to my yamaha 2600 via hdmi. The dvd player is working okay. Audio plays fine through the receiver but no picture. I changed the audio input assigment on the yamaha to look for the audio from the 622 via hdmi (not sure if it's even set up for that because I always use optical)-- no sound.

Is this the issue people have had with their 622?

Unfortunately, I can't troubleshoot further by running component cables because I am at work until 6 a.m. I have to pull my whole wall unit out to change the stuff.

BUMP!!!

Anyone chiming in with anything? I know there have been issues with these units and hdmi. Have there been mostly audio issues or video as well?

Lots of threads have already hit on the problem with the 622's and HDMI. Basically what you are experiencing has also happened to me. I lost the sound coming over the HDMI cable first. About 3-4 days later I lost video as well. So right now my 622 HDMI port is completely dead. I never moved the cable or bumped anything before losing sound and then video. Since then I have tested the same cable and my Sony SXRD TV with another HDMI device (my DVD player) and they both function perfectly. So, my 622's port is confirmed dead and nothing I do (cable swap outs, hard re-boots, soft re-boots, diagnostic tests, etc) brings it back to life. Contacting Dish's tech support gets me the canned response that it is a "software problem" and that they are aware of it and that their engineers are hard at work on a software patch to fix the issue - till they do, I was instructed to just use the component out port. (Which I already use with another TV upstairs.) So... I'm patiently awaiting this supposed "patch" which is due out "real soon now" according to them... :rolleyes:
I've popped the cover and had a really close look at the back side of my HDMI connector. All the pins are secure and making a good connection with the PCB - no loose connection issues, so the software problem is what I am hoping it is.

Cheers!
--Supercharged_Z06

Last edited:
I too have just run into this. I was hoping there was a fix already... Bummer.
I was running my 622 to a CRT RPTV via HDMI to DVI cable just fine.
Got a new plasma TV and ran HDMI to HDMI and *poof*, no HDMI video or audio.
I think I will contact Dish today to put more pressure on them & let them know there is one more customer that just lost the HDMI...
I'm not sure how software patching will fix this. If it was that easy, wouldn't resetting the 622 return it to a working state, essentially returning the software to the point where it was working?? This is very frustrating because of the amount of work involved getting to the back of these components. One day you are good, the next, no HDMI and you are tearing apart your setup to make what should be an unnecessary change... Ah well.

Exactly one of my points. Pulling my wall unit out is not a piece of cake in order to troubleshoot this damn thing.

I don't plan to be a software expert but I tend to agree with emtownsend. I don't think "this is a software issue with a fix in the works" I think that is a blanket shiek answer that is easily spit out by robot csrs.

I have a 1200 dollar receiver that I bought mainly for hdmi switching, and the hdmi cables that I am using were before I know about monoprice.com so those hoses themselves are expensively wasted. I will not be told by a csr to use component for now. That is an insult.

I will not be told by a csr to use component for now. That is an insult.

Well, it's been well documented in many other threads that the HDMI physical connector on the ViP 622 has/had a serious problem. Due to poor mechanical design of the connector/box interface, the solder joints where the HDMI connector attaches to the PCB tend to stress fracture and lose electrical continuity.

There is no software patch for this problem. A 622 swapout is required. Assuming that this is indeed your problem, and it isn't just a loose or bad HDMI cable (I've had a bad one, it's possible), then your only alternative while waiting for the replacement 622 is to use another output, such as component.

If the CSR suggests using the component interface, don't be insulted. (S)he's only pointing out an alternative to a dead HDMI.

Well, if this is a solder problem, I suppose we could pop open our boxes for a DYI fix? I'm not that brave at the moment...
FWIW, Dish is sending me a new box, but then I lose all my recorded content. There is no easy fix I guess. Either solder, or replace. The Dish guy told me the new box may not work either though...
Has anyone posted a "How to solder your 622 HDMI connection" yet? We need one with pics...!

You'll probably need an experienced tech to do that soldering for you! With my years of bench experience, it's something I won't try myself. The leads are on 0.5mm pitch. You'd need a very tiny iron tip and a very steady hand, and probably a diopter or 'scope to help you see it. The location is also not a help. You'll have to pull the PS to get at it, and even then it's fairly deep in the chassis with other nearby obstructions like the HDD mount. If you know someone with the right tools and experience with fine-pitch soldering, then take advantage of that resource...

Look at TripleII's post on his 411 repair for some insight. But the layout is different with the 622 and I believe the access in the 622 would also be more difficult...

http://mostly-linux.blogspot.com/2006/09/dont-blindly-believe-dish-if-hdmi.html

PS - If you're planning to dig around in your 622, make sure you use all appropriate ESD protection...

Last edited:
hdmi output mysteriously returned about 3 days later. Just waiting for the crash again. Should I call Dish and tell them of the issue even if it has resolved?

I up-graded to a 622 last week. One hour after the installer left, I started having HDMI problems. Moving the cable helped, but today it was DRT. A 5 min. call to E* and I am told that I will have a new receiver installed tomorrow afternoon. No excuses. No problem. Evidently, they have determined the outlet for the HDMI is defective.

Last edited:
after 9 months of the 622 using hdmi the audio went poof right after i lost connection due to rain or so I think as I could hear it before it came back online
I did a soft reboot but not a unplug on the unit
I have not moved or touched the unit in days and as I said it was on and working but rain took my signal out....and audio went with it!
It's ok of course on the rca out

Actually i think i lost audio while it was 'off' as I had just the back TV on today
I know the last time i was using HD it was perfect yesterday

Hooked up the component so it's at least 'back' but HDMI is better I believe ( well, when it worked , lol )

My 522 is also whacky since that last update as it reboots, FFs / RWs bad and a few other bugs we all have seen.

But I thought I had missed the hdmi 'bug' and I can't see how it's the cable but i have no way to test it

T

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)