HDMI Connection - Dish install

donh76

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
When my Dish 622 was installed last week I had bought a HDMI cable in advance. When the installer was hooking up the receiver I told him I had the HDMI cable and he said he did not need it, he had cables. I did not realise until after he left that he connected the 622 to the TV via an S video and componant cables. I contacted Dish tech and they said the HDMI cables should have been used and that I could disconnect the S video and componant cable and hook up th HDMI cable. I did and no sound or video. I called Dish tech back and he reset the receiver, but still does not work. His only thought was that it was a defective HDMI cable or the the wrong settings on my Sonny HD TV. The cable is new. What setting on the TV would effect this.

Also, on my local channels through Dish I notice a lot of shows out of sync with the voice.

Don

I have a Sony Bravia TV that has 7 different inputs, and the digital one (HDMI) is on Input 6, so I need to select that one to see the HDMI output of my 622. I also have analog connections - S-video on Input 3 and component on Input 5. Check to see which inputs your various cables are connected to on your TV and select accordingly. That said, the TV does the switching automatically so there's nothing else I need to do, yours may be different.

Sounds to me like you have a defective HDMI output on the 622 - rather common, I'm afraid

I just had my 622 installed last week also. I have not figured everything out with it yet but I think I might be able to help. Go into your menu to system setup, then go to dolby digital and make shure it is set to dolby digital/ PCM. If it is and still no sound try going into the menu on the TV and select sound and make shure it is not turned off there that it is set to stereo. I am not to fond of my 622 it does not do everything I expected it to. Mine is also connected via HDMI, but I have not had any troubles with it yet. I made sure when the installer came out that was the way it was connected to my TV. Really have to watch them installers, I think they are shady! Very few people take pride in there work these days.

I contacted Dish before my install to ask them if the 622 came with HDMI cables. I was informed it didn't, only component. So I went and bought my own and had the installer set it up. I agree with bhelms, you should check which input your TV is currently on. My Vizio has 7 different inputs and I have to make sure the HDMI is selected on the remote when switching between, DVD, VCR, etc.. If you have another HD television, I would recommend hooking your 622 up to that to eliminate whether your problem is the TV or the 622.

...Really have to watch them installers, I think they are shady! Very few people take pride in there work these days.

That is a really ignorant and offensive statement. For all the bad installs/installers, how many good installs/installers go unnoticed or unmentioned. For 9 years of installing and having trained tons of techs, a statement like that is ridiculous and stereotypes a LOT of good people based on what? Your opinion based on a few encounters...

That is a really ignorant and offensive statement. For all the bad installs/installers, how many good installs/installers go unnoticed or unmentioned. For 9 years of installing and having trained tons of techs, a statement like that is ridiculous and stereotypes a LOT of good people based on what? Your opinion based on a few encounters...

Unfortunately, Farms, he is right. It is no offense to anyone, its just a fact...there are very few companies out there who actually take pride in doing the job right once....While I agree, it may be because of ignorance, most of the time it is based on a large handful of experiences.

That statement was based on my current install. It was just not my current install but in the past with the cable company. It could just be in my current area that is the way it is. May be hard to find peaple who take pride in there work and care about the customer. My statement was based on mine and others in my area interactions with the installers. I could go on about the install and explain but that could be for a different post. Sorry those few installers are creating a bad rep.

What is it not doing that you expected?

It is probably operator error in the most part. I am hooked up with dual TV mode and it is difficult to record programs and watch other programs without disrupting someones TV in the house. I think I just need another 622 and use it in single mode. My expectation was that I could watch a program and record another without disrupting the second TV, but that would take a third tuner.

I just recently had my install done and the installer wanted to connect my 622 with the plain jane rca cables. I told him, you realize this is HD and that is not going to give me the best quality, right? He looked at me all surprised and asked what I wanted to use to connect instead. I already had hookups for Component and Optical Audio since I didn't have a HDMI cable. He went ahead and used what I wanted but he was telling me that on most of his other HD installs, people never bothered to say anything about the connections before. I told him, that he needs to be installing using the best connection possible at each install or else he is not presenting what the product has to offer real well. He agreed.

I recently had Dish installed as well and my sound is not working with the 622 either, but I hooked my HDMI cable to my 211 and the sound worked, so I called dish and the tech explained to me that there was going to be a software update to the 622 in Spring 2007 that should eliminate the problems with the 622's.

It is probably operator error in the most part. I am hooked up with dual TV mode and it is difficult to record programs and watch other programs without disrupting someones TV in the house. I think I just need another 622 and use it in single mode. My expectation was that I could watch a program and record another without disrupting the second TV, but that would take a third tuner.

You have ur setting all wrong, go into ur settings can't remember if it's prefferences or setup, i'm not home right now so I can't tell u exactly, but there a setting that makes the second tv do the same thing as tv 1! If that dosn't work try changing the remote to the affected tv! Call Dish and they will walk u threw this!

HDMI cable working now

OK, thanks for the information on the TV input modes I was bale to determine that the HDMI input on my Sonny TV was Input #6. I then set the TV/Video input to 6 and now I am getting the video and audio signal from the HDMI cable. It works perfect and I do notice a sharper picture and better sound quality with the HDMI. While I was doing all of this I had to move my receiver around and the satellite signal would be lost. I checked all of the cable connections and found most were not even hand tight and some were barely screwed in at all. After tightening them no more signal loss. :)
</IMG>

OK, thanks for the information on the TV input modes I was bale to determine that the HDMI input on my Sonny TV was Input #6. I then set the TV/Video input to 6 and now I am getting the video and audio signal from the HDMI cable. It works perfect and I do notice a sharper picture and better sound quality with the HDMI. While I was doing all of this I had to move my receiver around and the satellite signal would be lost. I checked all of the cable connections and found most were not even hand tight and some were barely screwed in at all. After tightening them no more signal loss. :)
</IMG>

Your installer must have been a knucklehead!:p

Good to hear your all set. Sometimes the hardest problems take just the easiest solutions. Always check your inputs.
And yeah, your installer sounded like he either didn't care or was in a hurry.

I just recently had my install done and the installer wanted to connect my 622 with the plain jane rca cables. I told him, you realize this is HD and that is not going to give me the best quality, right? He looked at me all surprised and asked what I wanted to use to connect instead. I already had hookups for Component and Optical Audio since I didn't have a HDMI cable. He went ahead and used what I wanted but he was telling me that on most of his other HD installs, people never bothered to say anything about the connections before. I told him, that he needs to be installing using the best connection possible at each install or else he is not presenting what the product has to offer real well. He agreed.

The installer plugs in the RCA jacks...red..white...yellow. Clicks on the box. Flips to the demo HD channel. "See...HD!... Isn't it cool. You don't need those stinkin HDMI cables!"

LOL!!

</IMG>
Glad it was a simple solution for you! I recommend you keep those component connections and possibly even the composite ones (S-video or not) just for comparison. Most folks do see a difference between the analog and digital HD connections, but it varies considerably as to which they prefer. In my case I find the digital a bit sharper - apparently the same for you - and the analog a bit "warmer" with more color depth. The difference varies considerably with the program content. My Sony take several seconds to switch every time I hit the Input button (and this is step-through sequential vs. direct access, one of my few complaints with the Sony!) so it takes too long to make a direct comparison of input 5 (the component connections) and input 6 (the HDMI connection). My Sony has a "Color Palette" adjustment that I might use to good advantage on the digital HD signal, but I never got around to experimenting with it. Maybe yours does as well.

If you leave your component connection intact you will have it in case the HDMI output is ever lost for whatever reason. Make sure you don't wiggle the HDMI plug unnecessarily, and don't have the weight of the excess cable dangling from that plug! Also make sure the 622 gets plenty of ventilation. These steps can help prevent you from experiencing the "all too common failures" of the 622 I mentioned in my first reply.

Also, regarding the S-video/composite connection (input 3 on mine), check that one out if you're watching an SD program through your HDMI or component inputs and they look really crappy. Sometimes it looks better on the SD outputs of the 622.

Good luck with your new "toy" - I'm sure you're going to really enjoy it...!

I recently had Dish installed as well and my sound is not working with the 622 either, but I hooked my HDMI cable to my 211 and the sound worked, so I called dish and the tech explained to me that there was going to be a software update to the 622 in Spring 2007 that should eliminate the problems with the 622's.
Dish has been feeding this "SW update" line since the HDMI problems were first reported almost a year ago! In most cases it's bullsh*t! There are indeed a few reported problems with certain TV models that were due to a "handshake" incompatibility and a SW fix is the solution for those (not sure if that problem was ever resolved). But most HDMI problems on all the E* receivers are traceable to a poor/broken solder connection(s) from the HDMI socket to the PCB, due in most part to a poor mechanical design that allows forces on the HDMI plug/socket to be transferred to the solder connections eventually breaking them. Dish even admitted to the poor design without giving details in a Technical Chat session last Sept. Search this forum for a number of posts on this subject. Don't wait for a "SW update". Call them back (go directly to Technical Support, not through a CSR) and demand a replacement...

Unfortunately, Farms, he is right. It is no offense to anyone, its just a fact...there are very few companies out there who actually take pride in doing the job right once....While I agree, it may be because of ignorance, most of the time it is based on a large handful of experiences.
There is no doubt that service has declined a good bit in many industries. In the case of the sat. installers it can be traced to increasingly high workloads in the face of decreasing pay that drove many of the better ones away. We're left with a lot of inexperienced installers and, unfortunately, some flunkies that just don't care. (The reasons for that are another discussion that belongs in The Pit!)

I would never paint all installers with the broad brush of incompetence, but it is what it is. The lack of experience is understandable given the migration situation, but sending out an installer to do a 622 who had no real experience with HD is a joke. The fact that they seem to not know the difference between the receiver's outputs, or what kind of cables are needed, is just plain wrong. The other possibiliity is that they are assuming the customer doesn't know the difference either and they can get away with a quick, sloppy, incomplete, incorrect (for HD) installation, and that's criminal, IMHO. Like everywhere else, it's caveat emptor...!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts