HDMI driving me crazy

CochiseGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Cochise County, Arizona
The HDMI issue in Home Theater is driving me crazy. I've been avoiding so, but it's caught up to me.

I have a Sony 57" RP HDTV I dearly love; it has 1 DVI (HDCP compliant) & 2 Component inputs.

I bought a Toshiba XA1 HD DVD player which I like very much. I have it connected using the HDMI cable that came with it to an HDMI>DVI adapter to the Sony's DVI input.

Now I'm getting a Dish Vip 211 receiver with HDMI output, also component. I've been using component for my Dish 811 receiver, but from what I understand the HDMI digital output should result in a clearer HDTV picture.

So I looked at HDMI/DVI switches. OK, but for $200 - $300, why just not upgrade my aging Sony 5.1 receiver to an HDMI receiver? Besides other improvements, the right receiver can do the same job as a switch box - take two inputs and switch between them to the output. But then there's the HDMI 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 issue. The Denon AVR 2808 receiver looks good, but only has HDMI 1.2. How far away is HDMI 1.3 and is it worth it to wait?

Oh, and the other upgrade option - upgrade to a newer 1080p HDTV with 2 HDMI inputs. But almost all "1080p" TV on the market can't accept a 1080p input, which my XA1 will probably support with firmware upgrades, and Blu-Ray will support.

So, decision, decisions . . . plunk down $200-$300 now for a switch box & wait for HDMI & 1080p issues to work themselves out?

Last edited:
Dude... where are you shopping for your HDMI switches? Pop over to MonoPrice.com, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised ;)
That should make your choice a LOT easier

griz_fan said:
Dude... where are you shopping for your HDMI switches? Pop over to MonoPrice.com, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised ;)
That should make your choice a LOT easier

I have been known to overly complicate things, especially when considering upgrade options. :p

Because my HDTV has DVI, I was thinking I needed a switch accepting HDMI inputs & outputting DVI. Used Froggle, and found the Gefen EXT-HD-241. MSRP $299, found it as low as $224.

Yep, the Monoprice 2x1 HDMI switch w/remote for $79 does make the decision making a little easier. Just use an HDMI>DVI cable on the last run to the TV.

Thanks!:)

Read Monpprice thread--but agreed that monoprice has a great selection and great prices--but their shipping company DHL,sucks relly bad.Will order from Monoprice again but no rush,will only take it if is USPS or someone other than the "urine sample trucks"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)