HDMI Matrix switch compatible with DN receivers???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bub

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
I have one VIP722 feeding a JVC projector and a Samsung TV and have been using a matrix HDMI switch for at least 4 years. The switch went bad, I think, and took the HDMI port on the VIP722 with it. Replaced the receiver and bought another matrix HDMI switch and it is looking like the exact same thing might be happening again.

I can feed a PS3, HD DVD player, WDTV Live, XBOX 360 through the matrix HDMI switch without any issue at all, why all of a sudden am I having a problem with the VIP722???

If I even have the HDMI cable plugged into the VIP722, it will shut down and refuse to even boot up. It will not even turn on. But, if I remove the HDMI cable, it boots up fine. Then, if I take the switch out, the VIP722 will behave normally.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Yes, swapped HDMI cables, doesn't matter. Also, when I put the new switch into service today the VIP722 worked all day as I was checking output A on the switch. Then, when it got dark I started checking the projector side, output B. That's when I noticed no signal on the VIP722 output. The receiver had shut off and would not even start up with the HDMI cable inserted. Once I removed the HDMI cable from the VIP722, it started up normally (well, it acquired signal and everything like it had been without power for awhile). After it started up, I re-inserted the swapped HDMI cable and everything seemed normal, output the signal on both output A and output B of the switch.

But, I didn't want to lose the entire receiver like before (I did not have any idea that the first receiver going bad had anything to do with the HDMI port) because when I received the replacement receiver, it too would not turn on when I put it into my setup exactly as the failed receiver. It was only after some testing that I realized it was the HDMI port. When nothing was plugged into it, the receiver acted normally, with the HDMI cord plugged in and connected to the switch, the receiver would power on for a couple of seconds then turn off. Remember, receiver number 1 and my matrix switch had been in constant service for 4 years without any issue at all, zero. The VIP722 would output a signal over HDMI through the matrix switch on both output A and output B with 100% reliability for 4 years. Then, one day the receiver would not turn on at all. Even with the HDMI cable removed from that receiver (I actually removed everything except the power cord), it still would not turn on. The replacement receiver came, I put it in the exact same configuration as the bad receiver and it too would not even power on. That's when the testing started and I deduced it was the HDMI port. But, again I figured it was the switch went bad, not the receiver (but somehow the HDMI port on the receiver had to be affected as the first receiver would not even power on even when the power cord was the only connection).

I just don't understand how my setup could work for 4 years then all of a sudden, the HDMI port on my VIP722 would stop working and cause the entire receiver to fail. And now, with a new switch and replacement receiver, I'm seeing the exact same situation?!? What is going on here?

Is anything else in matrix something new? Or, think about did you change any settings on them? (Thinking of things like CEC)

Have you tried feeding one item at a time to see if something has the same effect without the matrix?

I'm using a switch, no problem.
However I did have problems, to long ago to remember, but I think the problem was the tv settings both tv setting and Joey needs to match.

I was able to diagnose the problem. I had purchased a couple of HDMI cables with the built in ferite 'bulge' (not 100% sure that is correct) on either end of the cable. That is the type of cable I've been using with the 722 forever. Well, when I had the problem, I swapped one HDMI cable for another exact cable (and I think I had problem with that cable in the past but it had been so long I wasn't sure), and since that didn't work I assumed it was not the HDMI cable. I started thinking about it when I couldn't figure out what was going on and I decided to swap HDMI cables again, this time for a generic cable without the ferite and everything has been working fine since.

I'm still confused as to why the first receiver would not even boot up anymore, even when the power cord was the only cord plugged into it.

Oh well, all seems to be good again.

Thanks for all the help fellas, appreciate it.

Well guys, issue not resolved...

New HDMI cables and a new Matrix switch, still having issues.

Here is my setup,
Routing;
PS3
vip722
HD DVD Player
WDTV Live

through;
Monoprice Matrix 4x2 HDMI Switch

through;
Onkyo 805 receiver

to;
JVC RS40 Projector
Samsung LED (should mention that the switch sends one signal to the TV but it does NOT go through the Onkyo receiver)

All connections work flawlessly, PS3, vip722, HDDVD, and WDTV to the TV!
3 connections work flawlessly to the projector, PS3, HDDVD and WDTV, but when I try to send the vip722 signal to the projector, the vip722 will shut down and try to reboot but will fail until I switch off vip722 to any other input on the HDMI Switch. When the vip722 shuts down, it will reboot all the way to acquiring sat signal (not simply restart). If I don't switch from the vip722 input on the HDMI Switch, the vip722 will keep trying to reboot but will fail.

I've replaced all HDMI cables with the exception of the 25 foot HDMI cable from the Onkyo 805 to the JVC Projector. I've replaced the HDMI Switch and the vip722 receiver (the original vip722 receiver failed one day out of the blue with a constant reboot failure. My setup was slightly different before with the PS3, SAT, and WDTV first going through the Onkyo 805's 3 HDMI inputs, then the Onkyo 805's one HDMI output to the HDMI Switch (instead of switch first, then 805 as it is now). That setup (the first one) ran for me for a good 5 years without issue. No HDMI cables were changed and nothing was added or subtracted from my system until the day the vip722 failed. When the replacement vip722 showed up, it was placed into my setup in the exact orientation of the failed vip722. The new vip722 would not boot up with the HDMI cable plugged into its output. That's when I purchased a new HDMI Switch and all new HDMI cables. It seemingly worked for a couple of days (had purchased a new Samsung TV and had been watching it mostly for the last few weeks and that is why I never noticed that there was still an issue with the vip722 until now), but now I'm experiencing the same issue as initially, the vip722 works flawlessly unless I try to send its HDMI output through the HDMI Switch, through the Onkyko 805 and out to the JVC Projector, then I get the reboot loop failure.

I think I'm going to change inputs on the Onkyo just to rule out an HDMI input failure on it.

If anybody has any ideas, I'm all ears, thanks.

Is there any chance that the content it blacks out with is protection flagged?

I'm suspicious of a firmware bug that is blowing up the box when it can't negotiate HDCP.

Is there any chance that the content it blacks out with is protection flagged?

I'm suspicious of a firmware bug that is blowing up the box when it can't negotiate HDCP.

I don't think I understand. I'm able to successfully get the HD DVD player, the WDTV Live and the PS3 to send video/audio to the projector through the HDMI switch and the Onkyo receiver. I only have problem with the vip722. And, remember that with my original vip722 my setup had worked reliably for about 5 years without any issue what-so-ever. All of a sudden one day, the vip722 was dead, would not boot up at all. And, the replacement vip722 would not boot when it was inserted into the previously working setup. I had to disconnect the HDMI cable from the back of the new receiver in order for it to boot. And, when I replaced the HDMI switch and the HDMI cables, everything was working for a short while. Then, all of a sudden when trying to send the vip722 output to the projector through the switch and the receiver, I started getting the boot loop.

I'm not seeing how negotiating HDCP on the vip722 could be the issue, unless I'm missing your point. Can you further elaborate?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)