Two times this week--timers saved, programs lost

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
Earlier this week on start up I get a notice that my timers are saved but programs are being erased.
I lost a nearly full Hopper with Sling disk of programs. Many were old programs that were copied out and back but would not copy back to the EHDs--I was moving them. Tonight the same thing. This means many new shows and series are lost. This CANNOT continue or I will have to give up on Dish.

What should I have done? Remove the HDD and copy those to another? Could I prevent a complete erase?

Bad enough to have lost shows from several years back but now even all the premiers and continuing series!

-Ken

I called Dish and will be getting a replacement Hopper by UPS. I've had it for most of the year, I think.
This does not recover any programs, which I lost, but I hope it will stop more loss.
-Ken

For reasons I went into at length a while ago, I'm of the opinion that they once had a software issue that was causing this.

BUT, even if I'm wrong and it IS a hard drive issue, they STILL must have terrible error-handling. Wiping the disk is always the lazy person's way out!

I've got another problem as I await replacement. Place cursor on a title and search, several ways. It will not find that title. It finds something else if anything. No obvious correlation. I'm trying to find when the missing shows might be on again. Going thru the schedule 3 hours at a time is not very productive even if on the right channel, which you cannot find by search if not in my spreadsheet--didn't worry about writing that down before this. Then I'll have to wait for the new one to train itself, too. Hope I can save what i'm getting now. It said it saved the timers. What it meant was they are saved in the remote, if anywhere. I do have 2 remotes on the Hopper and 1 on a Joey--should look at that. Lesson: EHDs are more reliable than the Hopper for storage. Had 1 failure of 14 EHDs in many years, sizes .75 to 2TB.
-Ken

Like getting a "new" dvd, it worked that problem out and now I can now do a search on a selection, again.
Now will I want to install a replacement and lose a day or two in the transition? I guess so. Cross fingers.
-Ken

Got the replacement on the 8th but given the long-weekend trip and as the Hopper has been working mostly right, I will postpone by some of the 15-day allowance on the return. I want to be there on Hopper start-up. Icons/tiles for the internal drive were lost for many series along with the programs. Most of those on the EHD are still there except some old ones. Hard to predict which survive.
-Ken

I had that happen the middle of last month but no problems since then. It was before the new season started so only lost movies that had been watched once then ignored, but if that happened now I would be really upset. We record everything and some shows for the entire season before binge watching later on.
I can understand how upset you can be - have you tried asking Dish for some type of compensation? Others on the forum have asked and received free movie channels for a period of time - maybe a reduction in your bill for a period of time, or some pay per views.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts