HDMI not essential for next-gen HD-DVD and Blu-Ray playback?

LOBO2999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 1, 2004
Cumming, GA
Did a serch but did not fine this here.

The latest gossip is that Hollywood studios will now not be downscaling the output of next-gen DVD players and TVs that don't support HDMI input/output.

We previously reported on the Image Constraint Token. In an effort to plug the 'analogue hole' (by which anything can be recorded non-digitally through an analogue output) content producers wanted the image from a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disc downscaled to 540p - definitely not high definition.

Given that many TVs still don't ship with HDMI inputs (and the fact that the low-end PS3 doesn't have HDMI out, despite being touted by Sony as a mainstream Blu-Ray player) the overall picture for end-users didn't look great.

It seems like people in the industry have finally woken up to this problem, and there are now rumours that consumer electronics manufacturers and film studios have now come to a deal where ICT will not be implemented in discs until 2010 or 2012, to give consumers time to upgrade their equipment.

This should prevent a massive consumer outrage at the number of products labelled as 'HD ready' that don't have HDMI or HDCP - including a large number of PC graphics cards.

If this turns out to be true, it could be a major victory for the consumer. Let us know what you think over in the forums.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/05/22/HDMI_not_essential_for_next-gen_HD-DVD_and_Blu-Ray/

My God...are they awake?

LOBO2999 said:
Did a serch but did not fine this here.

The latest gossip is that Hollywood studios will now not be downscaling the output of next-gen DVD players and TVs that don't support HDMI input/output.

We previously reported on the Image Constraint Token. In an effort to plug the 'analogue hole' (by which anything can be recorded non-digitally through an analogue output) content producers wanted the image from a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disc downscaled to 540p - definitely not high definition.

Given that many TVs still don't ship with HDMI inputs (and the fact that the low-end PS3 doesn't have HDMI out, despite being touted by Sony as a mainstream Blu-Ray player) the overall picture for end-users didn't look great.

It seems like people in the industry have finally woken up to this problem, and there are now rumours that consumer electronics manufacturers and film studios have now come to a deal where ICT will not be implemented in discs until 2010 or 2012, to give consumers time to upgrade their equipment.

This should prevent a massive consumer outrage at the number of products labelled as 'HD ready' that don't have HDMI or HDCP - including a large number of PC graphics cards.

If this turns out to be true, it could be a major victory for the consumer. Let us know what you think over in the forums.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/05/22/HDMI_not_essential_for_next-gen_HD-DVD_and_Blu-Ray/

NOW That would be a nice 1st!

If they dump the down conversion flag...I would be into it quickly! Even though I have HDMI, I would not purchase anything that down converts with that copy protection flag! Just makes it harder for me to connect , since my HDMI (1 on the Plasma-2 on the mits LCD rp) is taken....all the component inputs are free !:D I am currently forced to run the HDMI (and component outs + from my HDD200 for the 4dtv) Into the "splitter in my Pioneer Elite receiver...then to the single HDMI in on the TV...Looks pretty good but the receiver will not pass anything above 720P!

Hollywood Agrees to Postpone Image Constraint Token until 2012?

Sony, Microsoft, and other's may have cut a secret deal. Is this the consumer victory we've been hoping for?
by Gerry Block
May 22, 2006 - From their very inception, the next-generation DVD copy protection scheme of AACS encryption and HDCP "protected pathway" hardware has seemed mismanaged, disjointed, and often overtly anti-consumer. The system was developed at the behest of Hollywood studios that have appeared almost desperate to get a piece of the growing HDTV market but loathe to allow potentially pirate-able HD-movie content into the wild, and the uneasy alliance between studios and major electronics manufactures (or at least those that don't own movie studios of their own) has resulted in a long history of half-compromises, delays, and backpedaling.
Full Article here

vurbano was actually replying to dfergie. Looks like both of them posted without reading your Monday's post.
I then merged two threads about the ICT deal, sorry if this caused the confusion. :)

LOBO2999 said:
LOL I check the date on yours and I posted it befor you , how is it old news? I did a serch on it and there was nothing on it , I am not trying to start something but please dont say old news.

Calm down, I was replying to dfergie.

Bravo Verbano

vurbano said:
In any case lets hope they never implement this garbage.

If they implement...I will not adopt anything for at least 4 years when I upgrade my 2 HD Tv's again....otherwise...checkbook is ready!:D

What concerns me is that I am VERY aware of corporate goings on...Ran 2 NYSE firms at different times in my career

Once they have enough people suckered in...they can simply start putting that flag on the disc...the hardware will have the needed components to implement...SIMPLY DO NOT TRUST THEM!!!:mad:
Jeff

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts