HDMI out from satellite client (dish or DTV) then to two sources, then back to tv. I know kinda wei

elite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 21, 2004
So here is the deal. I just got a Vulkano placeshifter. Its like a sling box. I want to connect my tv in my bedroom but if I switch to dish and use the clients they dont have both component and hdmi out like my current cable box that I have (uverse). So, Here is what I am thinking.

Id like to connect the client to both using this setup.

Satellite client to HDMI splitter 1 x 2 (splitting single HDMI into 2).
HDMI cable 1 will go from bay 1 on splitter to TV for best quality, keeping it totally digital (I think). - HDMI 1 on TV.
HDMI cable 2 will go from bay 2 on the splitter to a HDMI to component converter, then connected to my Vulkano Lava. From there id connect the HDMI out on the Vulkano to the tv via HDMI - HDMI 2 on TV.

Ill never really watch tv though HDMI 2 via the Vulkano, but for setup or menu stuff I may switch to HDMI 2 on the tv to reconfigure or something.

So, its kinda weird but will save me 6-7 a month to get an extra thin client just for the Vulkano.

To recap - HDMI out to Splitter. Splitter bay 1 to TV. Splitter Bay 2 to component/HDMI converter to Vulkano.

Will this work?

Why not just get Hopper with a Sling adapter? Or the new Hopper with built-in Sling?

The Sling adapter will probably cost you less than that HDMI splitter with all those extra cables.

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

Well I already invested in the vulkano and if I go with dtv there isn't a sling option with the genie. Plus I'm not one for combo devices. I've used sling recently and prefer my vulkano. The 2 adapters are like a 50ish investment so that part isn't an issue. Thinking that expense is still better than adding a 2nd client with an ongoing monthly fee.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I am not familiar with Vulkano, but I think what you proposed should work, except that some programs may refuse to convert to the analog format due to studio restrictions. Most should work though.

True but I wanted to put this in my bedroom which is where the client will be. I thought since no one will be watching the bedroom TV it makes sense otherwise won't what's being place shifted have to be what's displayed on the TV? Or is there a way to change internal tuner to not screw up if someones watching main TV?

Last edited:
The 2 adapters are like a 50ish investment so that part isn't an issue. Thinking that expense is still better than adding a 2nd client with an ongoing monthly fee.

I hope you realize that the Sling adapter costs less than that, it does not require a second client, it does not require you to watch the same channel as on the main TV, it does not require the double conversion via analog, and the iPad app is free. (And if you wait for the new Hopper just announced at CES, you won't even need the Sling adapter).

Yes, I understand that you have already invested in Vulkano, but my point is that you are going to invest more to make your proposed solution work than the cost of the Sling adapter. Just a thought. :)

Not totally disagreeing ;-) at this point I'm being stubborn perhaps. In all seriousness I may go with direct TV though. Also thinking to make it simple and use the main box in my bedroom which has dual outputs and the thin client in my main room. The only thing I don't know much about is how the picture quality is compared to the main box and I haven't done enough homeowner on how these are connected to each other. Coax or cat5 etc. I know to the TV its basically HDMI only which is obviously what ill be using. If the client quality is actually the same.....that's my easy solution.

Well, I think you should first decide which satellite provider you are going with, based on the programming and long-term costs, and only then worry about the wiring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)