HDMI picture vs. Component picture

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Not one that your eyes are likely to detect. I have an HD projector throwing a 107" image. I've used both connections and could not see a difference. My A/V dealer recommend using component because the projector I have has a few more adjustments available for the analog component inputs. It was possible to tweak the picture a bit more using the component connection.

They say there is roughly a 2% degrade in component cables, which to most human eyes is not enough to be noticable. I myself cannot tell the difference either on my 52" LCD TV.

I agree that the picture itself has no difference that I can notice.

There are some things other than picture quality that may influence your use.

I have a TV and Blu-Ray that are both Panasonic. When I connected them together with HDMI, they negotiated settings (1080i vs 720p, for example) to give the best picture. I didn't have to do any setup. I was able to override what they chose, if I wanted to, but the settings were what I would have used anyway.

Likewise with settings, they can operate each other's power over HDMI. When I turn off my TV, the Blu-Ray also shuts off (I know it's not the remote, because it also works when I cover the receiver or manually turn off the TV.) When I put a disk in the Blu-Ray, the TV turns on. I'm not too lazy to push the button, but it's interesting that they do this.

If your receiver goes out, your TV can play through its internal speakers via HDMI while the receiver is at the shop.

Something a little less wonderful is the high def copy protection. My StarChoice / ShawDirect has component and DVI outputs for high def. My TV will not accept the DVI signal (though a converter cable to HDMI), and puts a big message in the middle of the screen about unprotected HD. I had to connect the component outputs directly to my TV.

Just was wondering if there's a difference in picture at all???

Thanks,
Chris
Not likely with Dish Network's (DirecTV as well) watered-down HD-Lite. In general, I recommend using component cables with analog-based CRT-RPTV and HDMI with digital-based flat-screen HDTVs. As much as I enjoy our newer DLP, LCD and LED HDTVs, the best picture I have ever seen was on my properly calibrated Mitsubishi Diamond CRT-RPTV with component cables(circa 2003). I wish I didn't have to give that set away when we moved 2-years ago.

I think the HDMI cable was created to combine HD video and HQ sound into one cable.
HDMI is "DVI + Audio", so it's at least a digital signal, for whatever that's worth. Just being digital doesn't automatically make it "better" visually either. Component is still analog.

Now, if someone says HDMI looks better than DVI, well, that's their imagination.

1 thing

HDMI was created for 1 reason: single cable hookup that combined digital audio & video. Everything else was add on such as power switching & the "CRAP" HDCP that the MPAA hobbled it with.

Can't tell any difference at all on my professionally calibrated display. HDMI gives me the added benefit of the new audio codecs.

Actually, I could tell the difference when we created a fun demonstration. It is more to do with the color quality, I thought when evaluating the difference. However, HDMI can be just superior enough that you can actually see more flaws in PQ, that the component can't reproduce. One good friend of mine couldn't tell the difference between HDMI and Component on his high-end HDTV's, but the difference was dramatic-in HDMI's favor--on his low end HDTV's.

So, the irony is, analog component can, in the real world use and personal preference, be considered by many people to be of slightly better quality than HDMI.

However, with Blu-ray or upconverted DVD's from a player HDMI is the only way to get the highest resolution, and I do see an appreciable difference there. HDMI also allows for components on your system "talk to each other" for automated features. And, of course, HDMI is the only way to enjoy the Deep Color vaporware. When will they make Blu-ray's with Deep Color, anyway? :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)