HDMI PQ Crappy?

dznylvr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I just recently switched over to the HDMI on my 622 from the Component plugs and I noticed that the Picture Quality seems to be a bit softer on HDMI or not as sharp as the Component output.

Has anyone else run into this?

Are there some settings I missed?

Thanks

I think this topic has been talked about in some other threads.
But, I agree with you. HDMI from the 622 box is not good. Its softer and has less color saturation than the Component. The GUIDE menu looks blurry over HDMI (compared to Component). My DVD with HDMI is just fine, so I have to blame Dish and the 622 box.

No issues with my HDMI connection, 622 -> Sony LCD. I agree there are differences in component vs. HDMI, but which is "better" seems to vary with the program/action, etc. I agree the color seems deeper in my current set-up via component, but it seems the HDMI input is sharper. A lot of your final product has to do with your monitor's conversion vs. the 622. Try the two different HDTV settings in the 622 and any additional adjustments you may have in the monitor in various combinations - might make a difference. For instance my Sony has a "palette" adjustment that provides a lot of variability for the color/depth adjustment, and two adjustments that affect "sharpness". I haven't really had a chance to play with them yet. YMMV.

Welcome ctshead, BTW...!

I also prefer the HDMI output with my Samsung DLP, to me the picture via Component looks cartoon-ish. The HDMI/DVI output on the 622 is an order of a magnitude better than the 811's. IMHO.

NightRyder

I find the HDMI alot brighter than component. So I just turned down the brightness on tv about 8 clicks and now it looks better or at least the same as component. I just hope my HDMI does not go dead again.

Ditto...I prefer component over HDMI.

We just got a new Samsung 61" DLP 1080p and originally had it on component.

My HDMI cables came from Parts Express and I was disappointed in the picture quality difference.

The guide looks fuzzier and the whole picture is softer, images don't POP like they did before.

I'll be hooking up component this weekend. I run everything via my Yamaha 2600 so I can plug them both in and swap to see the differences.

Well, I ran both sets of cables to compare the difference and I found some interesting things.

With the component cables the picture has more POP to it in that it is brighter and the color saturation is definitely better

BUT

with the HDMI the picture doesn't have as much pixelization and believe it or not you get a full picture with HDMI as opposed to a 1/2" border cut off with component.

My wife is the one that realized we got a fuller picture with HDMI.
We were testing the cables using a paused picture from "Smart Travels" and found that there were more blocks to a castle with the HDMI.

I just checked my guide because on my Sony 60" LCD via Component running through a Yamaha 2600 the guide was chopped off about 1/4 a line at the bottom. On the Samsung running over component it was chopped off 1/2 a line.

Over HDMI its the same, still 1/2 a line.

I do run mine through my reciever which acts as a HDMI switcher but I've never noticed a PQ problem before and I tested it a few different ways.

I can't comment on the pixelation/macroblocking over either. My Samsung 61" rarely ever does it. I used Extreme Engineerings CGI intro to test with. The Sony would macroblock pretty badly when the nuts and bolts were flying in, the Samsung is perfect.

I still need to get my TV IFS'd so I'm hoping that will clear up alot of issues. I can tell my DVD quality(Yamaha 950 upscaled to 1080i) is not as clear either but its a brightness problem, too dark.

We were watching HG HD and couldn't take it anymore...went back to component, huge improvement in PQ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts