HDMI Switch Questions

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Why not just run HDMI through your receiver?
Connect the TV set to your receiver's HDMI output.

Unlike analog connection, you don't lose any picture quality with extra HDMI connection, but you win in convenience.

Splitting HDMI is usually not a good idea. HDMI is a two-way communication protocol with handshaking, negotiations, etc.

Not exactly your situation, but I was looking for an HDMI switch last month to be able to connect 4 HDMI sources to my TV set that only has one HDMI input. But then I decided to save money on the switch and instead apply them toward a better receiver that has all the inputs I need. I am glad I did! Not only I ended up with a better receiver, but it is also much easier and more convenient to switch sound and video at the same time in a single device. Receivers are the best HDMI switches!

It def makes it easier. Guess I was just trying to bypass the rcvr for video, but am worrying about something thats a moot point.

Being its digital, does an HDMI connection either work or not, meaning something would not fail and degrade the pq, but instead kill it altogether?

It def makes it easier. Guess I was just trying to bypass the rcvr for video, but am worrying about something thats a moot point.

Being its digital, does an HDMI connection either work or not, meaning something would not fail and degrade the pq, but instead kill it altogether?

FWIW, I have absolutely NO issues with routing my video through the Onkyo and save on the cable clutter by using HDMI for both audio and video. The Onkyo does a good job of splitting it out. The only downside is that the Onkyo doesn't pass the audio back out to the cheap TV amplifier and speakers. What a loss ;)

FWIW, I have absolutely NO issues with routing my video through the Onkyo and save on the cable clutter by using HDMI for both audio and video. The Onkyo does a good job of splitting it out. The only downside is that the Onkyo doesn't pass the audio back out to the cheap TV amplifier and speakers. What a loss ;)

First off, why would you want to? I assume you have a nice surround system, with a center channel that sounds way better than your TV speakers. Second, you could always run audio from your sat box to the TV. (DirecTV boxes can do this , don't know about Dish).

Elwaylite - Your ONKYO passes the video signal untouched, trust me you won't see a difference in PQ.

First off, why would you want to? I assume you have a nice surround system, with a center channel that sounds way better than your TV speakers. Second, you could always run audio from your sat box to the TV. (DirecTV boxes can do this , don't know about Dish).

Elwaylite - Your ONKYO passes the video signal untouched, trust me you won't see a difference in PQ.

That's what the wink was for. :) Too subtle, I guess.

My system runs through the Onkyo to large traditional Klipsch speakers (KG-5 mains, RC-35 center and RS-3 surrounds) Just bought a 12" Velodyne sub to complete it. Sound is much better than picture at this point (Toshiba 56HM66), although I have a front projector and screen I need to set up.

Finally, I'm currently on Comcast (no site line to sats from my rental house), and their box stinks that way. I get either HDMI or optical, but not both.

There was a difference a year or two ago when the receivers couldn't handle the 1080P bandwidth, but that has not been an issue recently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)