HDMI to Firewire

kaman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Is there an adapter or cable from HDMI to Firewire? Is it possible to go from the 622's HDMI (out) and have it come out the other end of the cable via Firewire?

I want to plug my 622 using the HDMI to my iMac. I know there are NTSC/Firewire converters out there, but those only convert analog signals (rca, s-video, coax). Would like to go digital all the way. HDMI->DVI->Firewire would work too.

I think I know the answer to this question though...:mad:

Is there an adapter or cable from HDMI to Firewire? Is it possible to go from the 622's HDMI (out) and have it come out the other end of the cable via Firewire?

I want to plug my 622 using the HDMI to my iMac. I know there are NTSC/Firewire converters out there, but those only convert analog signals (rca, s-video, coax). Would like to go digital all the way. HDMI->DVI->Firewire would work too.

I think I know the answer to this question though...:mad:

This is certainly not the answer your looking for but I use an eyetv hybrid to pick up off the air Digital and Analog local TV signals with an antenna for viewing on my 24" monitor. The hybrid also includes an S-video and left/right composite sound input adaptor. The picture using the adaptor wouldn't be HD as you know but you can feed it into your computer off the 622.

Last edited:
HDMI and Firewire are two completely different animals, and DRM and NAB would probably put any company out of business that tried to produce such an obscenity.

HDMI and Firewire are two completely different animals, and DRM and NAB would probably put any company out of business that tried to produce such an obscenity.

Regardless of what you think, NAB could care less.

As for DRM, HDCP would be able to disable the connection for any non-compliant device so any company could make and sell this device with no issues whatsoever.

However, HDMI is uncompressed video with HDMI 1.3 bandwidth 340 MHz (10.2Gbps) up from HDMI 1.2 bandwidth of 165MHz (4.95 Gbps).

IEEE 1394 only handles 400 Mbps (and 1394b handles 800Mbps), so a IEEE1394 connection cannot handle what a HDMI connection can throw at it - thus you probably not be seeing these devices as they would have very limited use.

Last edited:
How about something that can take the digital audio output and convert it to firewire, or something that can strip out the audio signal from the HDMI and convert that to firewire? Do those products exist?

HDMI to Firewire or Forewire to RS-422/RS422

Here is a link to an interesting review about a converter. It converts HDMI to Firewire as well as Firewire to RS422/RS-422. It is made by Convergent Design. I have also included the information on it from the Convergent Design web site* along with a link to their web site. (*This is not an absolute copy as I have corrected a couple of their spelling errors.)

Their web site includes a link to how to buy plus a link for dealer inquiries. At a suggested retail of $595, this is not the inexpensive solution I have been looking for.

Review of The HD-Connect MI(TM)
Convergent Design HD-Connect MI Converts Firewire to HDMI..RS-422 : Convergent Design

Convergent Design: The HD-Connect MI(TM)
Convergent Design, experts in HDMI, SD, HD, and HDV

HDV, DV, AVCHD --> HD/SD-SDI Workflow

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Applications[/FONT]
  • Ingest HDV, DV, and AVCHD into an SDI based NLE
  • Create Tape Dubs to Digi-Beta or HDCAM
  • Convert from DVI source (such as a computer) to HD/SD-SDI
  • Play 720p and 1080i HDV and DV tapes in Sony HDV cameras and decks and get HD/SD-SDI output (save the cost of purchasing extra decks)
  • Use consumer grade HDV camera to play back tapes at same quality as higher end decks (including scaling)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Product Details [/FONT]
Features
  • HDMI ? HD/SD-SDI Conversion (with embedded audio & time code)
  • HDV, DV and AVCHD Playback Support!
  • 720/60p, 720/59.94p, 720/50p, 1080/60i, 1080/59.94i, 1080/50i, 1080/30p, 1080/29.97p, 1080/25p, 1080/24p, 1080/23.97p, 486i and 576i HDMI support
  • Eliminates Long-GOP (HDV or AVCHD) editing (and associated render times) by enabling REAL-TIME conversion of HDV/AVCHD to DNxHD, DVCProHD and other I-Frame Codecs
  • YUV 4:2:2 or RGB 4:4:4 HDMI/DVI Support
  • 50Hz and 59.94/60Hz compatible
  • Up to 8 channels audio (7.1)
  • Saves the cost of purchasing multiple decks for 720p and 1080i support. For example, the Sony M25U deck or HDR-HC3 camcorder will playback both 720p and 1080i tapes (except 720p24 and 1080i24F). (Not possible with Native HDV Editing).
  • Cross Conversion and down-scale as provided by the deck. (see compatibility chart below)
  • 100% digital, no A/D or D/A conversions or losses.
  • RS-422? 1394 deck control for batch captures: off-line/on-line workflows
  • Compatible with Sony HDCam & DigiBeta Decks
  • Verified with: Avid Adrenaline HD, Avid DS Nitris, Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Pro (with AJA or Blackmagic Card), Adobe Premiere, Media 100 & Quantel products
  • NOTE: Will not convert HDCP encrypted content.
  • Color Bar Output with no HDMI input
  • Extremely low latency (<100 usec)
  • Ability to force 1080i, 720p, or SD(486i or 576i) from HDMI devices that would not otherwise support these formats (eg. Sony HDC-HC3)
  • Size= 3.5"(L) x 5.0" (W) x 1.1"(H)
  • Power: +5V, 3 Watts
  • Power Supply Included
  • MSRP= $595

HDMI to Firewire or Firewire to RS-422/RS422

Here is a link to an interesting review about a converter. It converts HDMI to Firewire as well as Firewire to RS422/RS-422. It is made by Convergent Design. I have also included the information on it from the Convergent Design web site* along with a link to their web site. (*This is not an absolute copy as I have corrected a couple of their spelling errors.)

Their web site includes a link to how to buy plus a link for dealer inquiries. At a suggested retail of $595, this is not the inexpensive solution I have been looking for.

Review of The HD-Connect MI(TM)
Convergent Design HD-Connect MI Converts Firewire to HDMI..RS-422 : Convergent Design

Convergent Design: The HD-Connect MI(TM)
Convergent Design, experts in HDMI, SD, HD, and HDV

HDV, DV, AVCHD --> HD/SD-SDI Workflow

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Applications[/FONT]
  • Ingest HDV, DV, and AVCHD into an SDI based NLE
  • Create Tape Dubs to Digi-Beta or HDCAM
  • Convert from DVI source (such as a computer) to HD/SD-SDI
  • Play 720p and 1080i HDV and DV tapes in Sony HDV cameras and decks and get HD/SD-SDI output (save the cost of purchasing extra decks)
  • Use consumer grade HDV camera to play back tapes at same quality as higher end decks (including scaling)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Product Details [/FONT]
Features
  • HDMI ? HD/SD-SDI Conversion (with embedded audio & time code)
  • HDV, DV and AVCHD Playback Support!
  • 720/60p, 720/59.94p, 720/50p, 1080/60i, 1080/59.94i, 1080/50i, 1080/30p, 1080/29.97p, 1080/25p, 1080/24p, 1080/23.97p, 486i and 576i HDMI support
  • Eliminates Long-GOP (HDV or AVCHD) editing (and associated render times) by enabling REAL-TIME conversion of HDV/AVCHD to DNxHD, DVCProHD and other I-Frame Codecs
  • YUV 4:2:2 or RGB 4:4:4 HDMI/DVI Support
  • 50Hz and 59.94/60Hz compatible
  • Up to 8 channels audio (7.1)
  • Saves the cost of purchasing multiple decks for 720p and 1080i support. For example, the Sony M25U deck or HDR-HC3 camcorder will playback both 720p and 1080i tapes (except 720p24 and 1080i24F). (Not possible with Native HDV Editing).
  • Cross Conversion and down-scale as provided by the deck. (see compatibility chart below)
  • 100% digital, no A/D or D/A conversions or losses.
  • RS-422? 1394 deck control for batch captures: off-line/on-line workflows
  • Compatible with Sony HDCam & DigiBeta Decks
  • Verified with: Avid Adrenaline HD, Avid DS Nitris, Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Pro (with AJA or Blackmagic Card), Adobe Premiere, Media 100 & Quantel products
  • NOTE: Will not convert HDCP encrypted content.
  • Color Bar Output with no HDMI input
  • Extremely low latency (<100 usec)
  • Ability to force 1080i, 720p, or SD(486i or 576i) from HDMI devices that would not otherwise support these formats (eg. Sony HDC-HC3)
  • Size= 3.5"(L) x 5.0" (W) x 1.1"(H)
  • Power: +5V, 3 Watts
  • Power Supply Included
  • MSRP= $595

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)