HDMI Took a Dump

chrisb83

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
I have a VIP-622. Turned my dish on and there was no picture. Had sound but no picture. After about an hour messing around, found out my HDMI was not working. Is this a odd or has this happened to anyone else? Thank god for DHPP!!!!:)

I had the same thing happen. I believe the HDMI port on the 622 units is extremely fragile. Any chance you bumped the cable on the back of the DVR recently? In my case I had a pet go behind my entertainment center and knock the cable.

The bad news is it was a hardware failure. I ended up going for the 722 upgrade to 'fix' the issue. I wanted more storage space anyway. :)

You should give Dish a call and I would think they could send you a replacement for bad HDMI port..

I have a VIP-622. Turned my dish on and there was no picture. Had sound but no picture. After about an hour messing around, found out my HDMI was not working. Is this a odd or has this happened to anyone else? Thank god for DHPP!!!!:)
Surface mounted HDMI jack on the 622. Very fragile. When you get your replacement, ziptie/anchor your cable so there is NO pressure on the jack from the cable AT ALL. I ziptied mine from day one and have had no problems for over a year now.

Thanks guys. I did pull out the 622 to clean it off from dust and when I put it back it didn't work. After hearing you guys I see that there is a problem on there end. I have DHPP and there sending me a new one. I did lose my recordings. Ohh well... I'll live:)

Surface mounted HDMI jack on the 622. Very fragile. When you get your replacement, ziptie/anchor your cable so there is NO pressure on the jack from the cable AT ALL. I ziptied mine from day one and have had no problems for over a year now.

What do you mean by this?

I have that but I had some recordings on the 622. no biggie
So, why can't you dump them over? You still have it, yes? HDMI has nothing to do with it. You can get picture back with component cables or S-video. Or am I missing something?

received word from DNS today at our shop that there is an issue with software causing strange problems with HDMI with audio/and or video on 722's. Instructions are to do front panel resets and not RA the recievers. A software fix will be coming soon.

We had a long running thread in the Dish HD forum about broken HDMI connections. Ran some surveys and they indicated that around 50%-60% of all HDMI connectors broke within 6 months.

The key is not put any undue pressure on it, especially downward pressure. So if you have a cable hanging from it, especially a heavy cable, and you move your 211 or 622 around a lot, or tug on the cable occasionally or remove/re-install your cable, odds are that it will break.

Haven't heard anything about 722 HDMI failures, but unless they changed how the connector is assembled, then it will also have the same problems as the 622 & 211.

Has anyone seen a similar issue with the 622 where the picture just goes black momentarily (no sound either) and then comes back? Does this every several minutes. Several techs from our office have been out on this one. Receiver replaced once, HDMI cable also replaced. Same issue between 2 receivers seems to weird for me. Mitsubishi HD tv. Any ideas?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)