HDMI upgrade?

deez04

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 23, 2005
High Point, NC
Hey, just need some help--wondering if there is a difference in picture quality with the more expensive HDMI cables??...I mean, is there a big difference in quality or just a small difference...I currently have Directv and use just their basic HDMI cable that they provide but 'I keep reading about these great Monster HDMI cables that deliver a better picture but cost so much more.

Is it worth it to upgrade? Anyone have any experience with this? If so, whats a good HDMI cable to get?...

Thanks for the help!

No. Monster is overrated and overpiced. That's where stores make money. Any CL2 cable will work with any components that are available at this time. If you need a new HDMI cable, go to monoprice. There will be no difference.

S~

No. Monster is overrated and overpiced. That's where stores make money. Any CL2 cable will work with any components that are available at this time. If you need a new HDMI cable, go to monoprice. There will be no difference.

S~

What teachsac said. The HDMI signals are digital. They either get passed through or they don't. There is some discussion that SOME early, cheap cables didn't have the bandwidth to pass 1080P signals through, but frankly I have NEVER seen an HDMI cable that couldn't do the job.

I have one Monster that was given to me. It performs just the same as the $4 monoprice ones or the $3 ones from Fry's bargain bin. The Monster ones look a lot flashier, with fancy jackets and little chrome bits. I suppose if that is important...

What teachsac said. The HDMI signals are digital. They either get passed through or they don't. There is some discussion that SOME early, cheap cables didn't have the bandwidth to pass 1080P signals through, but frankly I have NEVER seen an HDMI cable that couldn't do the job.

I have one Monster that was given to me. It performs just the same as the $4 monoprice ones or the $3 ones from Fry's bargain bin. The Monster ones look a lot flashier, with fancy jackets and little chrome bits. I suppose if that is important...

I actually have. It was an old, noncertified cable. Wouldn't work with my BD35 or Toshiba (can't remember which).

S~

Thanks to both of you for the help. I know you can get some HDMI cables off ebay too and they do the job also! I will check on monoprice also!

Last edited:
I'll put in my .02 for buying from Monoprice. Great prices, excellent service.

That should be the only concern...25-30 feet span +, look at a better cable/connector...Under 25 feet, should be fine with the "reasonable" priced HDMI cables....

Yep, and even there, price does not equal quality. If you look back a ways in this forum, you will see a thread with test results that show the Monsters didn't do any better, and in some cases worse than the monoprice cables that are 1/10th the cost.

When we say "cheap", we mean the really cheap junk.

Yep, and even there, price does not equal quality. If you look back a ways in this forum, you will see a thread with test results that show the Monsters didn't do any better, and in some cases worse than the monoprice cables that are 1/10th the cost.

When we say "cheap", we mean the really cheap junk.

I was not disagreeing with you...

I submit that there is one thing to look for: Flexibility. I bought a couple of thick cables that were quite stiff. They tended to bend away from the boxes they were plugged in to. Had to replace them with cheaper, flexible cables.

I just got a new Samsung LED tv, and the BB guy tried to get me to buy a 80$ four foot cable, stating that other HDMIs wouldnt be able to handle the refresh rate.... I hate BB.

Another good source for cable is Blue Jean cables. They are great cables and have put the jerks at monster cable on their knees. Go to blue jean cable and their you can read how monster cable tried to sue them.

Another good source for cable is Blue Jean cables. They are great cables and have put the jerks at monster cable on their knees. Go to blue jean cable and their you can read how monster cable tried to sue them.

Thanks. This is a very good reference source, and I wish I had seen it last year when I was debating someone here on specs and compliance.

Those considering long cable runs should read the following article:

How Long Can HDMI Cable be Run? -- Blue Jeans Cable

I think I have become convinced on their argument toward a CM rated cable. Be aware that Blue Jean Cable costs roughly double Monoprice, but it would be worth it to me for piece of mind if I was in-walling a long run (over say 50 ft)

The above referenced article also states that the spec does not specify a max cable length, but the longest length they have seen that passes V1.3 is 45 ft. (Of course they go on to explain why they can still sell 100 ft lengths)

I just got a new Samsung LED tv, and the BB guy tried to get me to buy a 80$ four foot cable, stating that other HDMIs wouldnt be able to handle the refresh rate.... I hate BB.

What an idiot. The 120/240 resfresh rate is done inside the TV.

S~

I bought a monster subwoofer cable on clearance a few years ago and it actually had flow direction arrows on it. LMFAO. Its a freaking wire people!!!!!!!