HDMI vs. DVI vs. Component for D* HDTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wongloo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
What are people's experiences with the various cables. The order of pq is supposed to be HDMI, DVI, Component. I have my H10 receiver hooked up to my Samsung DLP projection HDTV with both the HDMI cable on one video input and the Component cables on another. The Component cables actually give me a better pq. It's clearer, while the HDMI is a bit fuzzy. The color on the HDMI is better, but not the pq. I'm told that the quality of the cables make a difference, and while my HDMI cable is not ultra expensive, it's supposed to be premium, gold plated, etc. On the other hand the Component cables I'm using that give me a better pq on this same TV, with the same receiver are the ones that came with the receiver, so their not of the high premium grade.

I also have the Sony Grand Wega LCD projection. When I was originally comparing the two TVs (and ended up buying both), it was many people's opinion that they were very comparable in terms of pq. One was supposed to have better color (Samsung), and one has better depth (Sony). IMHO, the Sony is MUCH better in every aspect. When I hooked up my D* HDTV with the H10, I did so on my Sony and was blown away. I now have 2 receivers, moved my original H10 HD receiver that I had on my Sony to my Samsung, hooked my new refurbished Zenith receiver to my Sony. My Sony picture is even better than before. My Samsung definitely is lacking. It's a nice picture, but doesn't come close to the Sony. I'm glad I didn't originally hook up the HD receiver to my Samsung because I would have been very disappointed and not as much a fan of this HD experience.

Thanks for the info!!!
I had looked at the Sammy when I bought my Sony Wega LCD RPTV back in December. I heard good things about the Sammy but it came down to the fact that Circuit City had the sony on sale and I got Best Buy to match the price. So, I am glad to hear that I made the right decision after all!!!

Interesting. I have the Mitsubishi WD62525 DLP and can defintely say that using the HDMI cables(and I got it cheap - www.cableclub.com) has improved overall color and pq over component cables. The component cables I had from my last setup, were premium, gold plated cables. I also used a buddies "Monster HDMI cable" and saw absolutley no difference to my much less expensive HDMI cable I have now bought. I have a hard time being convinced that Monster or Samsungs $120 cable is better than the $15 cable I bought. Hard to believe, I know, but true.

I have a few friends with the Sony LCD's and they have had no issues and love them. I have been a fan of the DLP for sometime and Mitsubishi has a good product in my mind. They both looked great at the store side-by-side.

I think I read your post on another thread regarding the inexpensive HDMI cable making a difference, and I was hopeful, so I bought one at a similar price as you. Color is definitely better, but not the pq. Maybe it's the TV. Too many variables, and it starts to get expensive trying out everything.

The Samsung is not bad. It's just not as good, especially the depth. Doesn't look as 3D as the Sony. It's still a good TV.

I'm using a DVI/HDCP connection on a Toshiba 51HX83 CRT RPTV with my Sony HD300 (made by LG). I found more detail using the DVI, but I think the colors may have looked better with component. My HDTV was pretty new when doing this, haven't tried again though. Might get a chance when Gregg is here at the end of March to ISF my set. I'm using the supplied DVI-D cable that came with the Sony, I'm not a fan of overpriced Monster Cables. If anyone wants to check out some cables.......these folks use quality products : BlueJeansCables

Barney

My understanding is that HDMI and DVI should produce exactly the same results - speaking only of video (HDMI can also carry audio), HDMI and DVI are the same signal, just different plugs. That's why adapters are so cheap - it's just a pin to pin mapping. If you get differing results, it's likely due to the quality/length of the cables, not whether you're using HDMI vs. DVI.

I was using high-ish quality component cables over a 30 foot run, and after switching to HDMI I did see an improvement of one "notch" in picture resolution on the HDNet test pattern, but I don't think I'd notice it on a live picture. I'm using an LCD projector, so my colors are already a bit washed out, but I did not notice any difference in color quality between component and HDMI. Of course, you'll probably want to recalibrate your display with the new cable.

"If you get differing results, it's likely due to the quality/length of the cables, not whether you're using HDMI vs. DVI."

For me, I was not comparing HDMI vs. DVI. I was comparing HDMI vs. Component, and found the HDMI lacking in terms of pq, but better in terms of color. It makes sense to me that the HDMI (and DVI) SHOULD be better than the Component, but in my case, it's NOT. Just trying to figure out why. One can argue that it's the quality of the cable, but my Component cable is not high end either, but the picture is definitely sharper. In fact, my Component cable is really standard and came with the receiver. My HDMI I bought that is supposed to be premium and is gold-plated. Go figure. I guess on days I want better color, I'll switch to HDMI input, and on days I want sharpness and depth, I'll switch to Component input. At least I have the choice...

Just curious if your HDMI/Component cable comparison yeilded the same results on the Sony LCD Rearpro?? I'm guessing the real issue is the Samsung. Where I work,There are Sony and Panasonic LCD rearpros side by side next to Samsung DLPs,and for the life of me I can't understand what people see in these DLPs. The fast action is jerky and flickery on the DLPs and color is inferior.All has to do with that lightwheel it uses. At best the blacklevels and contrast may be better on DLP,but to my eyes, both brands LCDs have superior video and color to the Samsung DLPs. To me, DLP just seems way overrated.

Don't brand all DLP's in comparison to just the Samsung. Although, they have been doing development longer than most. I can say I bought my Mitsubishi after comparison to LCD's side-by-side with it. It's all in the eyes of the beholder. We all see things differently at the end of the day. LCD's look great, DLP's look great...and soon to come...LED TV is just as good, if not better...I've seen it live!

"Just curious if your HDMI/Component cable comparison yeilded the same results on the Sony LCD Rearpro?? "

The Sony LCD Grand Wega model that I have does NOT have an HDMI input, it only has DVI, and I didn't try the DVI, since the H10 receiver does NOT have a DVI, only an HDMI.

"It's all in the eyes of the beholder."

I agree with that too. That's exactly what the sales people at Best Buy was telling me from their experiences and feedback from their customers. Both are good. The real standout with regards to the side by side comparison (since I have both), is that the Sony LCD has tremendously more depth than the Samsung DLP. That is also what the sales people said. To me that makes a big difference. I happen to think the color is also better on the Sony. However, I still think the Samsung is excellent, and do not regret getting it. I particularly like its clean, streamlined design and size. The remote is lousy, but I use the receiver's remote. The Sony is huge. There are tradeoffs.

Use "expand" Setting On The Samsung Dvi & Hdmi Inputs!!!

FYI on SAMSUNG DLP's

Just wanted to note that on the Samsung DLP's YOU MUST use the "EXPAND" picture setting when viewing images through DVI or HDMI. You will see a big difference. Most people are not aware of this and leave their picture type as "Wide". Wide is only for "component" inputs. You will see a more fuzzy picture when using "WIDE" for DVI and HDMI inputs.

When you A/B compare your inputs make absolutely sure you are switching your picture setting as well from "Wide" to "expand" and visa versa.

KYle ;)

Thanks, KYle! I will definitely try that. Didn't see any instructions for this in the Samsung manual. You'd think they would say something. Are people just supposed to "know" this?

I was thinking the same thing myself when I first purchased my 60". I couldn't believe how much knowledge you have to have to even properly set up the thing. The manual is useless. I spent several hours a/b'ing different settings and noticed that the "Expand" setting showed up only when I had a signal fed to the DVI input. I thought that was strange. I couldn't find anything in the manuals on the "Expand" setting. I could easily see the difference in PQ though. I then started doing some internet research on this and only found 1 post on a thread (can't remember the thread) where someone explained this in detail as to why the "Expand" setting had to be used instead of "Wide". A lot of it had to do with some technical stuff with the latest chipset in the newer DLP's. I think on the earlier Sam TVs you didn't have to change from the "Wide" setting. I'll do some research and see if I can find the thread I ran accross. Anyway, it had just reaffirmed what I had already found on my own playing with the settings of the TV.

I have to also interject this as well. Never feed anything into a DVI or HDMI input that has an inferior de-interlacing chip in it. Don't be fooled by the upscaling DVD players. I only know of a few upscaling DVD players that have as good or better upscaler in it than the Samsung DLP TV. Even samsung's own lower line upscaling DVD players have an inferior chipset in it. Unless you have a superior upscaling chip in the DVD player, don't send it through the DVI! The DVI and HDMI inputs are only for "high-end/high quality" signals that are processed with better electronics than the TV's.

Take care...Kyle

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts