HDMI --Why you will need it!

Odd, I've yet to see any programmer say it's easier. They all avoid the question if they're working with it, or if they're not they tell you it's a pain in the ass and they're avoiding it...

No programmer has yet said that the PS3 was a pain in the ass to program. In fact the WARHAWK programers said that it only took 3 days to incorporate the new controller inputs into their software. I do not see that as being difficult! And prey tell why almost a third of all the new PC titles coming out over the next year have already announced their title for the PS3? And Cysis is going to be on the PS3!

The reason that they are avoiding the question is that first they must hire machine language programers then they must learn how to use a 7 core CPU. They are just now learning how to use a two core CPU. Something new takes time and will eventually be worth it. Both systems will survive and do well. I just believe the PS3 is more advanced.

Well, some agree with you, some don't. PS3 should be more advanced but we'll see.

Implementing those shoddy controls shouldn't have taken a long time. Looked terrible, the guy who's making the game was really going overboard with the motion abilities and it hurt his product...

Why 1/3? First, that's 33%, which isn't that many even if it is true (there are a lot of pc games...), but why wouldn't they come out on a console and actually sell some units? Unless you're a PC-specific MMORPG, you've got no reason not to dabble in consoles...

READ 'PS3 HARDWARE SLOW AND BROKEN' posted by mwgii. If true, I may have to eat crow!! I know bad things come out in print and sometimes are not true but the numbers are mindboggelling!! Someone at Sony will get canned if the PS3 comes out a cripple!!!!:eek:

JoeSp said:
I have plenty of experiance with both ATI chip sets and NVIDEA chip sets over the last 10 years.
(...)
ATI chips use more power, create more heat with fewer transistors then comparable performing NVIDEA chips.
(...)
ATI used to be the top dog around 1998 but since then have been looking up the backside of NVIDEA 's new product lines every year.
(...)
ATI's cards use more power and create more heat while NVIDEA seems to jack up the ante without the crazy power requirements or the overheating problems.
(...)
Real world use would say that the NV7800 chip that came out almost a year after the ATI chip in the XBOX360. Common sense says that if ATI has been lagging behind NVidea since 1998 how in the world did they jump two generations ahead (given in the graphics world a new generation is launched every 6 to 9 months)?
(...)
While the XBOX360 is a great console with very nice graphics there is no way in any aspect hardwarewise that the XBOX360 is the equal of the PS3.
(...)
More memory on the board - less in the CPU (3x512 does not equal 7 times 256).
(...)
Just as I had to admit that the XBOX had better graphics then the PS2 -- why -- because it came out a year later with newer chipsets and a hard drive, why can not you XBOX360 fanboys see the writing on the wall.
(...)
In about a year when the PS3 2 gen titles are showing considerably better graphics then the XBOX360 3rd gen titles will be showing I hope someone remembers this small statement.
(...)
In electronics - being first just means being first -- not the best - not the worst- just first.
(...)

Joe, you aren't a technical person, right?

Sorry to say this but your comments are just so completely wrong - most cases you've got the facts backwards - that it's more than obvious you don't even understand the underlying basics of these machines, let alone all these funny misinformation above...
:cool:

Last edited:
JoeSp said:
Not so for the PS3. The PS3 will use machine language. The language of super computers. Learning all the nuances of the CELL chip might take awhile but programming will be alot simpler then the PS2 was. Also incorporating the Nvidea RSX chipset will make it alot easier on the graphics programmer - definately more so then the custom graphics chip set the PS2 used. This might explain why there are going to be alot of new titles coming out on the PC that have also been anounced for the PS3. Crysis will be coming for the PS3 and that is one title I am really jonesing for!!

Indeed, you're completely outsider on this subject...:devil:

Last edited:
JoeSp said:
No programmer has yet said that the PS3 was a pain in the ass to program.

As usually, you're completely wrong - no other said this than JC, arguably the biggest name amongst game devs.

In fact the WARHAWK programers said that it only took 3 days to incorporate the new controller inputs into their software. I do not see that as being difficult! And prey tell why almost a third of all the new PC titles coming out over the next year have already announced their title for the PS3? And Cysis is going to be on the PS3!

The reason that they are avoiding the question is that first they must hire machine language programers then they must learn how to use a 7 core CPU. They are just now learning how to use a two core CPU. Something new takes time and will eventually be worth it. Both systems will survive and do well. I just believe the PS3 is more advanced.

Well, that's a religious subject and you're entitled to it - but so far no fact has been lined up here to support it... ;)

Damn, I thought I was in a war, now i'm an outsider. I feel so left out...

I think there's going to be a lot of interesting reads from now until ps3 is out, but how many are true we won't know until we see these games...

First, I am a very technical person and the bottom line is no ATI card designed for the same level of graphics has ever run cooler than an NVidea card. Now I am only talking about boards that are not overclocked!! In 2003 ATI started needing an additional power input for the top video cards. While both cards do well on tests in real world gaming NVidea has been consistantly outperforming ATI at higher resoulutions while allowing you to set the higher funtion features of the respective cards at a higher sampling rate while not suffing slowdown.

TK2, if you want to dog me bring out something other than I am wrong. I will be glad to list plenty of sights (Tom's Hardcore Gaming is one) that test these boards when they come out from different companies. I might not know everything but when it comes to computer graphics over the last ten years there is not much in the video card developement that I am not familar with.

Now as to the PS3. If the PS3 were to perform to what the RSX chip should be able to do than it is very possible that it will outperform the ATI in the XBOX360 and it should. However, if the CELL is backwards in its read-write states and the RSX chip is hampered by this and additionally does not perform to original expectations then I will be the first to say that the PS3 is in trouble.

Graphics technology jumps every 6 to 9 months and unless you are constantly reading you will eventually miss something. ATI has some exciting features that their next gen cards are supposed to be delivering and if they do then maybe they might grab the title of "Best Video Chip) back from NVIDEA. But since there is alot of talk and no action yet -- just like with the PS3-- we shall wait and see!

So we can all agree it's not one chip that will make or break these systems, it's how all the chips work together...Right?

That is exactly right!! The XBOX360 works as well as it does because it is using a known chipset combo that works. This did not prevent overheating with the first ones out of the barn but I hope MS has that problem fixed.

The PS3 is in the Twilight Zone because both chips are unknown and unproven. If Sony did not get the numbers right on the CELL proccessor then there is no way the RSX gpu can do the job that was expected. And there might not be a way to fix it!

The PS3 could end up being a less expensive Blu-Ray drive but they still have not said whether you will be able to get HD-Audio out of the unit. If they are indeed going to put HDMI 1.3 on the more expensive model then they should at least support all HD-Dolbly Digital sound codecs!

Joe,

First, I am a very technical person

vs

and the bottom line is no ATI card designed for the same level of graphics has ever run cooler than an NVidea card.

What kind of technical person you are? :eek:
You sound like a low-level PC technician - they usually think since they can put together a machine, they do understand everything... :D
I remember I felt similarly when my first code ran on Sinclair Spectrum in '85... :p
If you want avoid public 'show', stop spreading this misinformed stuff, pls - I really don't want to go over every single funny and false satetement you just wrote and correct them... :cool:

HINT: it was already a generally accepted fact in graphics world that Xenos is one generation ahead of RSX, even before it was confirmed that RSX is nothing but a souped up NV7800 - which was, BTW, generally expected given the short design period Sony gave NV -, released last year in PC world... have you ever heard of 'unified architecture'?:rolleyes:

If a product is deemed technically supperior but does not perform that way it is still by design more supperior but not in the real world numbers. ATI cards run hot, they use alot of power and that has been a problem for them in the last four years. You will see alot more overclocked NVidea based cards from third party manufacturers than ATI based cards.

These are not BS statements. Go out in the real world an look for the products.

Intel processors are technically supperior to AMD processors but they are constantly outperformed in the gaming world by AMD based computers. I am a gamer I am not interested in crunching spreadsheets!

Being technocally supperior does not make your product work better in real world solutions.

Since you love ATI then buy them. I used to use ATI until NVidea passed their performance with a cooler running and faster moving graphics card. I am interested in gaming and I like what NVidea has been doing. If ATI gets off their buts and brings out a card that I don't have to buy a 600 watt power box for and a water cooling system to keep it from frying my other chips when I what to run say Cysis at 1920 x 1600 then I will buy it.

Until then I am a NVidea fan thru and thru at least until someone brings out a card that does significanlty more than the one I currently am using - a BFG6800gt overclocked baby that runs 1600x1200 with eveything tuned on in FarCry with no slowdown. Maybe this fall:D

Last edited:
HEY, I remember when the Intellivision came out and people were complaining about it being too expensive!!!!

They say that about every damn console...

I made a point months ago that when I was a kid, paying like $299 for an atari was a lot of money, and if you adjust for inflation is probably close to paying 599 for a ps3 today...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts