HDMI2AV and Closed Captioned

ECruzBUD

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
SEATTLE, WA.
Hi Folks,

This is the question from people I know in the Deaf Community.
And I hope that you don't mind that. I hope some of you support
the Deaf-blind community in your area with answers for them

The question from my Deaf community is this....

They bought a satellite receiver which only have HDMI out.
I don't know the brand make of the receiver.

But their question is....

Can they get the HDMI2AV device that have HDMI to RCA
which their TV set support VBI 21 Lines Closed Captioned????

According from National Captioning Institute, NCI in Los Angeles, CA.
and in N.Y. says that HDMI cable NEVER and will never carry out
VBI 21 Lines Closed captioned.

Some Deaf folks do NOT like "Sub-Caption" style, as well.

Hope all helps with answers.

Thank you,
Eugene

Use the search bar in the upper right and enter "EIA-608 EIA-708". We have had many discussions on the two types of CC on satellite receivers in past years. These are the two types of CC data used in North America.

EIA-608 (CEA-608) line 21 is used for analog NTSC using the interlaced video mode. Most services now use EIA-708 standard. EIA-708 must be decoded and the graphical text overlayed on the HDMI signal by the receiver to be outputted buy the HDMI. There is no CC data on the HDMI, so a HDMI to RCA convertor will not provide CC data to a TV to decode.

Last edited:
Reactions: k.r.
Use the search bar in the upper right and enter "EIA-608 EIA-708". We have had many discussions on the two types of CC on satellite receivers in past years. These are the two types of CC data used in North America.

EIA-608 (CEA-608) line 21 is used for analog NTSC using the interlaced video mode. Most services now use EIA-708 standard. EIA-708 must be decoded and the graphical text overlayed on the HDMI signal by the receiver to be outputted buy the HDMI. There is no CC data on the HDMI, so a HDMI to RCA convertor will not provide CC data to a TV to decode.

FYI Titanium,
The Deaf-blind community at one place has a picture tube TV set which
it has higher contrast for low vision loss, and it has Closed Captioned support. They wish that the receiver has ways to output Closed Captioned through HDMI out to RCA.
But there seem to be no solution by BIG TECH about what low vision folks want and still have their analog TV set with Closed Captioned support. Hope all helps with answers. In the meantime, I'll keep looking into it.

Thanks,
Eugene

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)