HDN Logo moving around

LOBO2999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 1, 2004
Cumming, GA
I was watching HDN today and the logo seemed to be off to the left and I just tuned back in and now I can only see the top half of the HDN logo . Is anyone else seeing this or am I going crazy? If they are moving it , its about time so we dont get burn in.

I noticed this as well last night. The whole screen seems to have shifted down a little because the top of the weather had a bigger gap between the text and the top of my screen in addition to the HDN missing the bottom third. They might be doing something similar to my local FOX station. When they use the pillars on an SD broadcast the picture is always in a different position- left to right.

You guys must have severe overscan. I measured the gap at the bottom of my screen last night and had 1 1/4" between the bottom of the image and the bottom of the HDN logo. My pj has 3% overscan. This measurement was off a screen that is 54" tall. It is lower than it used to be, they must be trying to get it out of the viewers way as much as possible. I would like to see them make it more translucent.

I have a copy of the HDNET Test Patterns on my Panny DVD recorder, if anyone wants a copy of it, mail me a DVD-R disc and $1 shipping and I'll get you a copy. PM me for details.

HDNET sends out the entire image so there is no cropping and they have the % of overscan on the screen, it's a great tool for adjusting your set.

okay....I hate to ask but....is it possible that Voom is sending an unusually overscanned signal and then our respective HD sets are performing additional overscanning to the signal? I hope that I am making sense. The reason I am asking about this, is because I have never experienced this much overscan on my set. I have the normal (I guess within acceptable limits of overscan) overscan with my D* HD receiver and my Video Essentials calibrated progressive DVD player. I may be wrong, but I really believe it is the signal.

Mike

I noticed it last night too. Now, I don't watch HDN that often but I know it wasn't like that a week ago. Also, I noticed that the sound was off just a tad. You know, where the mouths don't match up to what they are saying. It's not that bad, but it's noticeable.

It's still that way today---

The bottom 1/3 of the HDN logo is off the screen, and the audio/video synch is off very slightly---

I've seen the "overscan" on a couple of other channels, too---can't remember which ones--

mkwillia said:
okay....I hate to ask but....is it possible that Voom is sending an unusually overscanned signal and then our respective HD sets are performing additional overscanning to the signal? Mike
No, because I am seeing the entire logo and you guys aren't. The only explanation is overscan on your set. If you have access to HDNET, tune in at 8 am eastern, 5 am Pacific Tuesday mornings and check the overscan on their test pattern. It comes on in about the last 3 minutes of the pattern.

The tech who wrote this screen has a great sense of humor, he has some text written in decreasing size that says something like "If you can read the last line of this message, then you have a better display than I do". :p

DarrellP said:
No, because I am seeing the entire logo and you guys aren't. The only explanation is overscan on your set. If you have access to HDNET, tune in at 8 am eastern, 5 am Pacific Tuesday mornings and check the overscan on their test pattern. It comes on in about the last 3 minutes of the pattern.

The tech who wrote this screen has a great sense of humor, he has some text written in decreasing size that says something like "If you can read the last line of this message, then you have a better display than I do". :p
That's really weird---

I say that because it just started happening a few days ago----before that the entire logo was onscreen---and I haven't made any changes or adjustments to my set--

What I'm saying guys is that HDN probably moved the logo down, but due to the overscan on most sets, it is now below the horizon, it's not that anything is wrong with your set. It's not unusual for sets to be between 5-10% over on overscan.

Well here's the thing with mine , I got the codes to go into my main screen settings and fixed my over scanning, when I 1st started watching HDN I could not see the top of the weather maps when they showed the city's names so I fixed it now the HDN is like we all talked about , its half way down the screen . I don't mind , but i wish is was gone or more of a see through.

It's that way cause now HDN has a little thing at the bottom called VOOM Live Wire where it gives little news stories like Headline News.

slater said:
It's that way cause now HDN has a little thing at the bottom called VOOM Live Wire where it gives little news stories like Headline News.

I do not see that. Where is that? I can see the logo fine but I do not see this.