HDNet Movies to Premiere Steven Soderbergh's "Bubble" on 1/27 @ 9pm ET

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
HDNet Movies to Premiere Steven Soderbergh's "Bubble" Day-and-date With its Theatrical Release

Mesmerizing Tale of Murder in a Small Town to be Delivered Simultaneously in Theaters, on HDNet Movies and DVD

DALLAS, January 23, 2005 - HDNet Movies viewers will have an exclusive opportunity to see Academy Award(r)-winning director Steven Soderbergh's BUBBLE, on the same day the movie opens in theaters. Focusing on three workers in a small town doll factory whose lives are overturned when a murder occurs, BUBBLE will appear on HDNet Movies twice on opening night, January 27 at 9:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. ET.
BUBBLE is the first of six films Soderbergh is directing for HDNet Films that will be shot in high-definition and released simultaneously in theaters, on DVD and on HDNet Movies. Mark Cuban, co-founder of HDNet, and his partner Todd Wagner are experimenting with this day-and-date model utilizing various media properties they own, with the goal of giving the consumer a choice of how, when and where to see a movie.
"Through this partnership with such an incredibly talented and creative director as Soderbergh, we can reward HDNet Movies subscribers with great original movies on the same day they open in theaters," said Cuban.
In this unique cinematic experiment, acclaimed director Soderbergh brings this tragic story to life with startling realism. A bizarre love triangle is born at a doll factory in a small Midwestern town. Lonely and isolated, long time employees Martha and Kyle have become friends by default in spite of their drastic age difference. Their dynamic is upset by the arrival of a new worker: young, attractive, single mother Rose. As Martha grows increasingly wary about Rose's dubious character, she discovers Kyle and Rose developing a relationship of their own. When a murder investigation begins, it calls into question our established assumptions about these characters and life in their small town.

9:00 PM ET / 6:00 PM PT * HDNet Movies Day & Date Premiere *
BUBBLE 2005 - R

In a small Midwestern town, two lonely doll factory employees Martha and Kyle become unlikely friends. When a young attractive single mother is hired at the factory, the relationship between Martha and Kyle is jeopardized. Life in the small town changes when the young woman is found dead, which leads to an investigation of both Martha and Kyle, unraveling the assumptions about their lives.

Encore Presentation: 11:00 PM ET / 8:00 PM PT
*** D O N O T M I S S I T***

I enjoyed it! One thing that I like about Soderbergh is that he is always unpredictable. You never know what to expect from him. Sometimes his movies are great, sometimes they are truly weak, but they are always original! He is never afraid to experiment! And what an experiment we just watched!!!

I have it on my DVR. Will watch tomorrow. Just saw a local ABC news report about the movie and its controversial release. Mark was in the segment.

It wasn't my cup of tea. I watched it also and I just couldn't get into it. The best part of the whole movie was at the end.

I had 4 friends over to watch BUBBLE. Very good indeed. The thing that bothered us the most is how FEW people worked in the factories. Was this an artistic choice? Perhaps it was to keep the budget low? Nevertheless, I look forward to the remaing 5 films Steven has signed on to do with HDNET. Bravo Steven. Bravo Mark Cuban for taking this project on.

Bubble

It must have been because Kyle was afraid to be around too many people. Remember? I hope the rest of his movies are better than Bubble.

I really liked it. At times it had a Lars von Trier feel to it. I'm not a fan of Steven's, so I went into this film expecting to not like it.

gross67 said:
The thing that bothered us the most is how FEW people worked in the factories.
I can easily relate to this. Many years ago I was on a consulting assignment at a small factory. It was manufacturing electronic equipment, not toys, but other that it had a very similar atmosphere. Big building, a lot of machines, but only few people. And a secretary who worked there for years doing boring routine work and dreaming that one day she would go to Las Vegas, win a lot of money and say Bye-Bye to everyone. :)

The memory of that factory popped up in my head when I watched BUBBLE. I just couldn't believe how realistic this was! Of course, this is not the type of factory we are used to seeing in movies...

BUBBLE is all about breaking our stereotypes. And it does it at so many levels! The way people and their relations are portrayed, the way people react to events, the way the plot unfolds, the way actors play, the way the camera moves (or doesn't move), and even the way the movie is produced and released! It pretty much violates all rules and traditions of Hollywood! The movie doesn't pretend to be a masterpiece, but it is a very brave experiment, a very successful experiment, I must say.

I DVR'd this and watched "Bubble" when my son was no where near, not knowing what to expect. An interesting production, almost like something you and a couple of your friends with camcorders might have put together. Very authentic.

"Bubble" didn't show up in any of our local theaters, so the simultaneous release on HDNet Movies worked great for me. Unfortunately, "The World's Fastest Indian" was not given the same treatment, and I have no idea how far I'd have to travel to go see it (Chicago or Indianapolis, I'm sure).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)