HDNET Scores

bpasker8

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
Tried finding a thread on this already but couldn't, so I'm sorry if there is already one out there...

I noticed this during the hockey season on HDNet and thought maybe it was just a glitch, but it has now carried over to the soccer season as well. When I bring up HDNet to watch a game the score is too far over to the left and 50%-60% of the score box is off my screen :no . Is this something I can fix on my TV or through my 811? Or is this something being done on the Dish or HDNet side of the houe :confused: ?

Hmmm... Dish Network STBs are usually pretty good about slightly "shrinking" the picture so things like the score box fit on the screen. (Seems many HDTV manufacturers slightly stretch the picture so all the sets in the manufacturing run will display images that completely fill the screen.)

Also, HDNet also monitors the avsforum.com HDTV forums and there has been cases where they have solicited feedback on "score placement", etc.

Just as a check, see if you can watch HDNet's test patterns on Tuesday mornings (usually 8 am Eastern). There is a monoscope pattern that has markings to indicate the edges of the picture. If your set has the user-controls to adjust width, height, centering, (like most computer monitors), you're all set. Other sets like my Panasonic has the controls in a service mode were you also can adjust the other assorted dynamic parameters (pincushion, linearity, etc.), is fairly straight-forward but definately not novice friendly. Usually these adjustments are often covered if your set is in warranty (or you have a service contract). [A service call to "tweak" my set, surprised the technicians as to just how good HDTV can be!]
ISF Calibration is an expensive option, which some consider well worth it.

Sounds like your TV has the overscan set too far. Portions of your TV images are being shown beyond the edge of your TV. This will require a TV adjustment. Check your manual or look for a service manual.

bpasker8 said:
Tried finding a thread on this already but couldn't, so I'm sorry if there is already one out there...

I noticed this during the hockey season on HDNet and thought maybe it was just a glitch, but it has now carried over to the soccer season as well. When I bring up HDNet to watch a game the score is too far over to the left and 50%-60% of the score box is off my screen :no . Is this something I can fix on my TV or through my 811? Or is this something being done on the Dish or HDNet side of the houe :confused: ?

I know this may seem like a dumb question, but are you sure that your aspect ratio is going back to "normal" when you tune into HDNet? The only reason I ask is that while most of the time (90%) when I tune to a sat HD channel, it goes back to "normal" aspect ratio, sometimes it (the 811) forgets to go back and I am watching HD in 'wide' mode and things are off of the screen.

I watched hockey and now soccer on HDNET and do not have the problem you are having. My only complaint about scores is on ESPNHD, they keep the score in the spot the 4:3 screens have it, so it is in the way on 16:9