HDNet test patterns

metallicafreak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 12, 2003
Hi all,
I recorded the HDNet test patterns and would like some advice on how to use them. There are three. The first is a set of color bars with white to black black squares numbered 0 to 10 on the bottom (brightness/contrast?), a convergence pattern which I don't need, then a resolution pattern with the numbered squares. I want to set my color/contrast/brightness properly.

Thanks in advance
FREAK!

Sorry, I can't help you, but I'd love to get the test patterns myself. When are they normally on? Was there a program name I should search for? I'm at work now or I'd try a search for "test patterns". Thank you.

DVDDAD said:
Sorry, I can't help you, but I'd love to get the test patterns myself. When are they normally on? Was there a program name I should search for? I'm at work now or I'd try a search for "test patterns". Thank you.

I second that! When did you record them?? I used video essentials piped and upconverted through the 921 to calibrate, but it doesn't do much for sharpness! Anyway, the pattern that has a black screen and a white bar is for contrast. The ones with the color bars are for color and tint. The one with a bunch of circles and lines can be used for sharpness. The DVD video essentials will explain how to do it. Not too easy to explain on this forum. You need a filter to look through when doing the color/tint.

I did a Google Search, and here is what I found for the HDNet Schedule....

Tuesday, Feb. 3, 8:00 AM ET / 5:00 AM PTHDNet Test Patterns
Wonder how your home theatre is doing? Wish you had test patterns to help set it up? Well, HDNet is here to help. This short program will help you get the most out of your home theatre setup by providing you with the same professional test patterns HDNet uses to set their gear.

I like the part in the resolution pattern where an engineer with a good sense of humor wrote "If you can read this your display is better than mine".

Over at AVSForum there is a thread on this, sorry I don't have a link. Look in the "Under $3500 MSRP" projector thread.

Thanks DarrelP I will look. I thought that was cute too.

I found the listing on HD.net search the program guide and see if it comes up again. I believe it only has 1 weeks data.

FREAK!

I had them on last saturday. According to the patterns my overscan was way off. I plopped in my Avia disk to verify and everything was perfect. Then it danwed on me My TV was not off it was my 811 not centered.
I'll stick Avia or Sound&Vision...

Pick up a copy of Avia or Video Essentials, which go over calibration in detail. You can then hopefully use the hdnet patterns to calibrate your set.

I've used both DVDs to calibrate my HD pattern at 480p, but I haven't done it with the test patterns yet.

I couldn't sleep this morning so I got up, turned on HDNET and at 5 am the test pattern came on and I was able to get the geometry quirk I had with my projector ironed out while they had the test grids up. Plus I aligned the overscan so it was uniform across all boundaries.