HDNet to Provide Live Exclusive High-Definition Coverage of Launch of Shuttle Discove

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
HDNet to Provide Live Exclusive High-Definition Coverage of Launch of Shuttle Discovery

DALLAS -- HDNet will once again take viewers on an exclusive high-definition adventure with complete coverage of NASA's launch of the Space Shuttle Discovery and its seven-member crew as they embark on mission STS-121, currently scheduled for Saturday, July 1.
Utilizing up to 14 cameras positioned throughout the Kennedy Space Center, HDNet's extensive live coverage on the launch date will begin at 10:00 a.m. EDT with behind-the-scenes access to the astronauts as they suit up and board the shuttle, complete with their pre-launch routine inside the crew module. Then viewers will witness the countdown, launch, and follow the shuttle as it reaches far into the earth's atmosphere.
The coverage will be hosted by Greg Dobbs; however, in keeping with HDNet's practice of delivering live world news raw and uninterrupted by outside commentary, the network will also broadcast the natural sounds of the launch enhanced by NASA's commentary, allowing the HDNet audience to receive their information directly from mission control.
"We feel that every Shuttle Launch is a unique and historical American experience, so we're very excited to provide exclusive HD coverage of this launch," said Mark Cuban of HDNet. "Being able to watch a shuttle launch in high definition, with its advanced resolution, sound and widescreen picture is an experience like no other -- and we're proud to continue providing this 'on the launch pad' experience for our viewers."
The complex task of producing a live, multi-camera, high-definition telecast of an historic event such as this requires extensive equipment and technical support.
HDNet is installing 1080i cameras in various locations ranging from high atop the 550-foot Vehicle Assembly Building to the "White Room" (the entry hatch into the Shuttle itself). Close-up views of the exterior of the shuttle and of the astronauts once they are inside the crew module will appear courtesy of several NASA cameras.
HDNet will be deploying a special Canon DIGI SUPER 100xs lens with image stabilization capable of a 1860mm focal length. This will enable a 1080i camera situated at one of the tracking sites to follow Discovery at least 176,000 feet, or 33 miles into the earth's atmosphere.
This will be the greatest number of high-definition cameras available during a live shuttle launch. This not only makes for great television, but also captures irregularities not normally visible with standard definition. Last year, HDNet's launch pad camera captured the shuttle's external fuel tank striking a vulture on liftoff.

HDNet shows us once again why they are the HD leader.

Since they have the exclusive HD coverage I am guessing that it will not be in HD on HD News

Yes it will be in HD on HDnews... Anyone can have an HD or SD camera filming the lift up from the outside. I think HDnet has exclusive coverage inside NASA but anyone can do it from outside.

I pass this time. Last time there was not much to see and this time it will be the same. A shuttle goes up and that's it...

Nice picture on HDNet, but I prefer the uninterrupted NASA commentary on NASA-TV channel.
Also the good thing about NASA-TV is that I can have it on my computer while watching The World Cup on the big screen. That's what I am doing now. ;)
I am going to switch to HDNet around the launch time though.

Take 2. The weather doesn't look any better today. In fact it looks worse, so the launch is not very likely, I am afraid.

goaliebob99 said:
if you look at some of the shots on hd net, they have blue skys over the launch pad it's self but in the distance there is some clouds.. they could have launched it...
They don't want to take any chances.
One reason they are so concerned about the weather at the landing zone (in case of emergency landing), is that Shuttle is not really an airplane, it's more like a glider ( a very heavy glider!) when it comes to landing. If I am not mistaken, it has only one shot at landing. It can't easily fly by or circle around until the landing zone clears up, something any other plane can do in bad weather.

Monday July 24th, Broadcast Networks HDTV Primetime Guide!

Tuesday July 25th, Broadcast Networks HDTV Primetime Guide!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)