HDTV locals on satellite - a horrible mistake?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AdamGott

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
I subbed to Direct TV when it first started (or at least shortly after, I think I got on after they went to MPEG 2) and they had a great looking picture. As they added more and more channels there was a noticable and drastic reduction in quality. Adding local networks was the final straw for me as the quality then degraded even more.

Now we fast forward seven or eight years and they are going to try to get blood from a stone again - by adding hundreds of HDTV network broadcasts.

Where in the heck do they intend to fit these things? I know that they are launching a new satellite this year supposedly but until it is up in the sky and functioning it isn't there. And what happens when a satellite fails? They are going to have the bit rates cranked down so low even when they have a full fleet of satellites, just imagine what will happen when there is a failed sat or even a failed transponder.

The future of HDTV in the US is not looking so bright after all. This is a disturbing trend....

Why is this posted in the DISH Network forum? Your post appears to be about DIRECTV or satellite in general, not DISH Network. You say "they" are launching a new satellite and ask where do "they" intend to put these channels. Who are you talking about? DIRECTV? DISH Network? Russia?

Last edited:
AdamGott said:
The future of HDTV in the US is not looking so bright after all. This is a disturbing trend....

HD LIL on DBS is a very necessary evil. Many people throughout the US can't receive their market affiliates via OTA antennas, no matter how big or how tall. AND any thing local that cable delivers of this magnitude, DBS must keep pace with and excel in to remain as competitive as possible to the masses.

I just switched to D* after three years with E* because I can now get my locals in HD. I had no other source for local HD. I'm too far for OTA and my local cable company, Charter, may not offer it in my area for years to come. D* plan will work. They'll gain subscribers and bring in more income, which in turn means more income available to improve service.

charper1 said:
HD LIL on DBS is a very necessary evil. Many people throughout the US can't receive their market affiliates via OTA antennas, no matter how big or how tall. AND any thing local that cable delivers of this magnitude, DBS must keep pace with and excel in to remain as competitive as possible to the masses.

Charper,
I have been trying to remind people about this but no one seems to realize that Sat being able to provide locals IS a BIG issue with keeping subs.

Quote:
any thing local that cable delivers of this magnitude, DBS must keep pace with and excel in to remain as competitive as possible to the masses.

Very well explained :)

Thanks
Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)