HDTV move to 110

Bichon

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
I see that HBO and Showtime HDTV channel have show up on 110 as promised on the Charlie Chat.

I was a bit surprised to see that both of them are on transponder 19. I did a bunch of A/B comparisons, and I don't see any change of picture quality, leaving me convinced that the channels must now be 8PSK. (I didn't pull the 8PSK card out of my 6000 to be sure, but I've seen 2 channels per QPSK transponder on DirecTV, and it didn't look like that :) )

Got to thinking, wonder what Dish is doing for:
1. Customers with a 5000/HDTV modulator. Those sold for a fortune on EBay because they could be used with an OTA DVHS recorder or a PC HDTV capture card to record HBO and Showtime.
2. A 6000 and no 8PSK card. Dish doesn't normally make a change that requires buying new hardware to keep existing services.

Any comments?

All indications are that dish is going to switch all HDTV to 8PSK, the few remaining 5000 people are going to be out of luck. The 921 is supposed to eventually allow dump to DVHS. The transponder space is far more valuable than the support of the remaining 5000s. Dish is practically dumping the 811 on the market, the 5000 users will have to get an upgrade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts