HDTV Requirement for Hopper Joey installation?

tharris

Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Chicago
New user here.

I tried placing an order for a 2 hopper / 1 joey system today (I know that they initially will not be linked). After some discussion the rep was able to confirm that he could place the order for this setup until I mentioned that I had no HDTVs currently. I plan on replacing my current televisions over the next few months +, but his technician and his manager both said that it is policy that at least one HDTV is required to be able to do any type of installation.

Since the Hopper/Joey's have composite out I am not sure why this is a requirement. When asked I was not given any real technical reasons why at least 1 HDTV is required- but was told that it is a policy.

My questions are:

1) Are there any technical reasons why HDTV is required with hoppers/joeys?
2) Do I lose any functionality with an SD tv instead of a HD one?
3) Has anyone else come across this policy?

Thanks

If you plan on getting hd tvs soon and you like the idea of all room dvr get hopper and joey system.

If you are going to be using sd tvs for a while and you really don't need dvr in all 4 rooms it would be cheaper per month to just go with a 722 and 222.

Just call back up and tell the u have hd tvs

You are usually required to have HD programming when signing up for HD. One of the main purposes of the hopper is to have HD. PTAT doesn't even work unless you have the hd locals.

Since HD is free, and the Hopper/Joeys downrez HD to SD anyway, it isn't a big deal. Tell them you have HD, then when the install is going on, hook them up with the SD connections. Should work and save paying for an upgrade later.

You're going to need to get an HD Dish too, if you don't already have one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts