Hearst threatens Dish with 33-station blackout

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Hearst Television is threatening Dish Network with the second blackout of the satellite operator in the last three years.

The broadcaster, which owns 33 stations in 26 media markets across 39 states, began telling Dish customers over the weekend that it might remove its signals from the satellite service “if negotiations between representatives of Hearst Television and Dish Network are unsuccessful in reaching a conclusion before March 1, 2017.

http://www.fiercecable.com/cable/dish-threatened-by-hearst-33-station-blackout

I saw the scroll on one of my locals this morning. Same story, different day. My guess is that Hearst will agree to an extension some time late tonight.

Here is the current notice on the local TV website.
http://www.wbaltv.com/article/notice-to-dish-network-subscribers/8976861

DISH Network and Hearst Television Inc., WBAL-TV’s parent company, are currently negotiating a renewal of the retransmission consent agreement for the carriage of Hearst broadcast stations on DISH Network’s systems.

Satellite distributors are prohibited by law from carrying broadcasters’ signals without their consent. The removal of WBAL-TV’s signal from the DISH Network system may result if negotiations between representatives of Hearst Television and DISH Network are unsuccessful in reaching a conclusion before March 1, 2017.

We're currently in the Orlando, FL market where we'll lose the NBC affiliate if an agreement isn't reached before the new deadline. We'll be moving our RV to a park that's in the Tampa, FL market next Sunday anyway, so if need be, I'll just have Dish change our service address a day or so early. The Tampa market will only lose an independent station.

this time it does me......& I am tired of these constant BS games that Dish plays.........
Yea, I know that they all have these spats......but Dish is the uncontested king of this crap

Wait! So now I might need to press 005-01 instead of 005-00 to get WCVB? That's ludicrous! I'm cancelling!

...and yet we all wonder why Dish separates our local channels in the pay column.
Well it is a little more than just that. If you use PTAT, you now will have to go create timers on your ota station. If dish network doesn't leave up the guide data on the ota, well it is a big problem now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)