Heeeeeelp! new 921 problems

cvsjr@att.net

Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Has anyone had a problem installing a NEW 921 lately? I bought one on Ebay, brand new in the box, tried to install it but it wouldn't download the software. Had the marvelous, super high tech people walk through the installation half a dozen times on the phone, I let it try downloading over night and it never got past group 1 of 30. It seems to just keep cycling and starting over, I can't use any features like DVR or even a program guide. Finally they told me to send it back (which is another story).

I recieved a replacement two days later, same crap, it won't take a download and gets stuck on group1 of 30 no matter how many times I reset the defaults, unplug it or hold the off button for 10 sceonds and try again.

Now on monday an installer will be comming to give it a try, I'm thinking there is a software conflict or something like it going on.

Any advise would be helpful, I still have both recievers.

Did you do a check switch? That should be the first thing you do after getting the receiver connected so that the receiver can identify exactly which LNBF is on your dish. Once the check switch is complete, the receiver will configure itself correctly for that LNBF.

Yes, I did the check switch first thing out of the box on both recievers, then again every time they wanted to reset the unit and start over. It comes up as all three sat's are green OK's on both lines (I have two dishes), everything checks out good including a 125 signal.

Many people have gone through different contortions to get the initial download.

I couldn't download through a DPP44 with separator. Running two separate feeds from the switch downloaded fine.

Some people have had luck bypassing the external switch (assuming it's not build into the LNB).

Some people have said not to do the switch check before the download (perhaps a reset to factory init can get you back). You may not need both tuners connected for the download (I seem to remeber someone reporting that tuner 2 is used for the initial download, but I'd try both).

Run a check switch without the satellite inputs connected. Then connect the two satellite inputs and do another check switch.

This has helped many folks in the past, including myself.

I just put one in last night, it was not happy until it got all of the updates, so I turned it off and waited for 3 hours, all is well now. After I turned it off, it turned it self back on, well sorta, the power light flashed for a long time.

I must say, it's a pretty nice unit. SD picture quality is better than the 811.

Without knowing what your outdoor gear is, no one can give you the specific answer.

All of the suggestions provided up to now are good ones.

To add to it and tie it together:
  • If your situation is such that you can only get one non-DPPlus feed to the box, use Tuner 2.
  • Run a feed directly from the LNBF to the 921. New cable not needed, just use jumpers & barrel connectors as needed to bypass any external switches.
  • Definitely run a Check Switch with NOTHING hooked up, then pull power and do it again before plugging in the sat feed.

gpflepsen said:
Run a check switch without the satellite inputs connected. Then connect the two satellite inputs and do another check switch.

This has helped many folks in the past, including myself.

I just installed one friday afternoon, did a check swich accidently with no inputs connected... Then once I got the inputs connected properly I had to leave for a while before I could activate it. When I got back home it said on the screen that it was updating the software, so I waited until it was done before calling dish to activate.

It has been working fine since, but I noticed today when recording ota hd and a sat hd if I go to watch the sat hd in progress it will just stop recording on the ota channel. That and the interface for recording is a real pita compared to my tivo. I'm starting to wish I would have just gone with the hd tivo.

Thank's for all the suggestions, I'm not sure what the problem was. Dish sent an installer to do it, after 3hrs of resets and waiting he called his supervisor who came by. He tried a couple times then went to his shop and downloaded the programing on a new reciever from there, then brought that one to my house and it worked fine. Now I have two recievers to send back.

I have two dishes for three satellites, a dp34 with two feeds going directly two the 921.

The supervisor also gave me a seven page printout of "KNOW RECEIVER ISSUES" with temp and perm fixes dating back to 12/24/2003. Sounds like FUN! Buying a 921 seems like such a bad idea now. He also told me most of the fixable problems have been fixed with the latest software update, and don't even think about a 942 until the fall or winter of 2005 if I like to "watch" TV, then just laughed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts