Help 921 Install advice

dvipe1

Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Just purchase a Dishnetwork 921 PVR to replace the 811 I currently have. What Dish hardware (LNB, SWItch Etc.) is required in order to complete this install?
Newbie.......I appreciate the help!
:confused:

Sorry about the font.
OK Here goes The total installation consist of a Dish network dual tuner pvr feeding the living room and the bedroom and a Dish network 811 High Def receiver in the media room. I don't know what switch or LNBF was used for this installation. future plan may include connecting a high Def receiver in the Bedroom. :confused:

Welcome aboard!

Do us all a favor - stick with the default font. The one you picked is hard to read.

No way to answer your question without knowing EXACTLY what your current setup is (receivers, Diishes, LNBFs, switches), your location (for locals setup), and what your plans might be for future expansion beyond the 921.

Sorry about the font. The setup Is a Dish network 811 High Def receiver, don't know what switch or LNBF was used for this installation. future plan may include a high Def receiver in the Bedroom.

Sounds like you originally got the 811 and a DVR522.

That probably means you have a DP QUAD LNBF on your Dish500. Do a switch check an see. (Menu, 6, 1, 1 select Check Switch and read what it says.)

If you have the DP QUAD and intend to swap out he 811 for the DVR921 all you have to do is run another "drop" (RG6 coax cable) from the QUAD to the 921.

If you want to keep the 811 & hook it up somewhere else you will want to put in a DP34 switch.

If you already have the DP34 switch for some reason, run a new drop from it to the 921. You will need a 2nd DP34 if you want to keep using the 811.

you are correct with your assumptions. I do have a 811 and a 522 and I want to replace the 811 with the 921. I did a Check Switch just as you suggested and and It displayed a DPQuad-3. My question is....do I have to run another drop from the quad? or can the existing run to the 811 be split by a separator into two drops to connect into the 921?......

Sorry - no seperator for you. DP Quad can't handle it.

One possible solution for the short term is to replace the DP Quad with a DPPlus Twin and a pair of DPP Separators. Now, one feed to the 522, and the other to the 921. Upside: A wing dish plugs right into the DPP Twin. Downside: NO receiver expansion capability - for that second HD box.

The important question is why (and how important) that second feed to the 921 is an issue.

If REAL important, and you're still gonna want to expand, get a DPP44 and replace the DP Quad with a DP Twin, and sell the Quad for some cost recovery.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)