Help a friend out

joverstr2

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 20, 2004
Mobile, Al.
I have a friend that wants to get dish installed soon into his newly built house and he wants to know is it better to buy his equipment or lease it from dish. He will have 4 receivers and two will be hd. He is looking at (1)622, (1)211,and (2)322's. If he buys his equipment say from ebay and sets up an install for the dish will they install the equipment for him? When I bought my 311 not to long ago a csr told me that dish would support it and that's what he's worried about also. If he has a problem he wants to dish to handle it. He's not good at this kind of stuff at all.

Thanks

i would lease in his case, but then your stuck for 18 months i think.
he better be sure he's willing to stick with dish through all the trials(literally) and tribulations:)

Buying vs. leasing usually comes down to a cost comparison either way. Since you generally don't pay lease fees with owned equipment, there is usually a point in the future where owning pays-off, but sometimes that is so far out that it's not worth it. I both own and lease equipment at the same time. Buying my 622 was my only option for getting it while I still had another 7 months to go on my contract with the 811, otherwise I would probably have leased it as well. Owning is more an option for those who are DIYers since most of the time the owner will need to install and maintain the rest of the equipment yourself. E* will not install equipment they don't own, but your friend might be able to find an independent installer who will. Start in the phonebook. Leased or owned, E* will indeed "support" the equipment during the warranty period (unless it's obvious that the owner/lesser screwed it up) and for a fee after that. Your friend might want to look into the DHPP. (I don't think there is any warranty on equipment bought from sources like eBay. If he's thinking of buying, check out an authorized retailer like DishStore.)

It sounds like your friend is a good candidate for leasing since he will be dependent on E* for the installation and he wants them to handle the problems. But I think E* has a limit on the number of leased tuners, like four. He'll need to check that out. Right now he's looking at seven tuners. While technically that's possible with a DPP44 switch, E* may not want to do it. He might have to go with a hybrid arrangement like I have. He could lease the max. E* will allow, have them install everything, then he can buy and install the extra receivers himself, or hire an installer directly to do it. That would be fairly simple once the rest of the equipment (dish(es), switch, etc.) is already installed by the E*.

Last edited:
I don't mind leasing, which is what we are doing, because if something breaks DISH has to fix it (provided it isn't something we did of course). I also like the fact that if/when something new comes out, it's still cheaper in the long run to lease it than buy it.

I see you are around Mobile and don't think that is too far from Satsuma, where one of the members is located. I don't know if Pepper does installs or not, but it is possible he may know a retailer/installer in your neck of the woods.

If he doesn't see this thread later, you may want to PM him. I believe he may also have a Dish Referral Number, which may get you a discount - don't know for sure.

Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)