Help! A week after Dish Network install.

btedford

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Hey All,

I had Dish network installed in my house last week....2 Hoppers and 2 joeys. It has been a frustrating experience to say the least. I've already had to have one tech out on Thursday and having another one come out tomorrow. I keep having to power cycle my receivers every day due to "Error 004. Error tuning to channel. Press guide to try a different channel. if that doesn't work reset the receiver". Which I have to do nearly once every day as I get it. One of my hoppers is getting replaced due to the fact that the Apps don't work even though all other internet features work. When the 1st tech came out, he replaced a few things but didn't know why I would be having this problem. I also get "Lost Signal" on at least one of the tuners each day on both Hoppers. My signal strength is about "58". Where the dish is on my roof is it has a straight shot with no trees in the way. I have talked to the "Loyalty" department and don't get anywhere with them because I really want to leave Dish without paying an ETF fee and go back to DirecTV. I am very unhappy with my services. Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The only advice I have is to be patient and make sure you get someone who can properly install your system. Sounds like you have something wrong with wiring or other equipment. When the system is installed properly and working the way it's suppose to it's an amazing system.

Well the installer checked all the wiring before the install as it was all new wiring and said it was all good. the 1st tech to actually come out for me, checked it and said it was all good.

Yeh, it's at dish or somewhere in between.

Have you contacted DIRT? They will be most helpful to you.

Go to bottom of Forum page. Look for members in RED.

What about all connections, including wall plates? If you read some of the threads on here where people had issues you'll find that it was usually something small, like a wall plate, the screwed everything up.

Not by a dish technician but the wall plate is new and I had no problems with DirecTV. my main goal, I think at this point is to try to be let out of my dish network contract without an ETF. I am really not happy with the service that I have received. I'm not a fan of the UI on the hopper and the fact that I have had to have 2 technicians come out in only a week since the install sends up red flags for me. I really just want to go back to DirecTV.

What about all connections, including wall plates? If you read some of the threads on here where people had issues you'll find that it was usually something small, like a wall plate, the screwed everything up.

BINGO!! Normally its a pre-wire home issue such as a low pass barrel in the wall place and cable that isn't 3Ghz in the wall plate to the location where the node is. This problem sounds exactly like that and I've seen it many times. Dish will continue to send techs out and will continue burning each one that was there before to get the problem fixed cause they know it won't cost them anything but will keep taking money from the techs pocket till its resolved. Bad thing is the previous techs should have caught this to start with so no remorse however as a customer I'd at least try to make sure dish builds a service call rather than a trouble call on the guys. They will keep sending people then a field manager at some point to get it solved as they will not lose you as a customer and you are stuck with the ETF regardless.

Not by a dish technician but the wall plate is new and I had no problems with DirecTV. my main goal, I think at this point is to try to be let out of my dish network contract without an ETF. I am really not happy with the service that I have received. I'm not a fan of the UI on the hopper and the fact that I have had to have 2 technicians come out in only a week since the install sends up red flags for me. I really just want to go back to DirecTV.

You won't get out of the ETF...very very unlikely! You have 30days I think though to get out of contract but I could be wrong.

The Hopper system and your DirecTV are not the same and it can make a difference. If you are that upset with it and are not willing to give it a shot then hopefully you can get out of the contract and go back to Dish. It's just TV so no sense in being unhappy with something. Hope all goes well.

I replied to the PM you sent me. Tommy received it as well. Not sure how many of us you sent it to but it is only necessary to send it to 1 of us and we will respond as soon as possible. Thanks!

Although I wasn't having any issues, I was impressed that the installer changed the barrel on the wall plate before installing the HWS, he explained why also. I'm almost positive that the wiring in the wall is rg-59 thou..:(. I could probably drop a line if-need-be. He also changed me to the Eastern Arc, was having minor outages before, haven't had one since the upgrade (Snow - Heavy Rain recently)

Steve

I should mention it again, that I've got two hoppers that are experiencing this issue and not just one.

I had Directv before switching to Dish in 2012 when the Hopper became available. When I had Dish installed they used all brand new 3GH wire approved by dish except on one of the Hoppers in my bedroom, which had 3GH wire that was installed by Directv six months earlier. The tech had all kinds of different issues with that Hopper and it wasn't until 3 days and 3 different technicians later, did one of them run new 3GH which solved all of the problems I was having with that Hopper. From what I was told by the supervisor that solved the problem was, that the center conductor on the Directv cable didn't allow the correct voltage to pass from the receivers to the LNB and the only way to fix the problem was to use only Dish approved cable. I have been very happy with my 2 Hopper and 1 Joey system other than an occasional software bug.

I had Directv before switching to Dish in 2012 when the Hopper became available. When I had Dish installed they used all brand new 3GH wire approved by dish except on one of the Hoppers in my bedroom, which had 3GH wire that was installed by Directv six months earlier. The tech had all kinds of different issues with that Hopper and it wasn't until 3 days and 3 different technicians later, did one of them run new 3GH which solved all of the problems I was having with that Hopper. From what I was told by the supervisor that solved the problem was, that the center conductor on the Directv cable didn't allow the correct voltage to pass from the receivers to the LNB and the only way to fix the problem was to use only Dish approved cable. I have been very happy with my 2 Hopper and 1 Joey system other than an occasional software bug.

They feed you a line to make you happy. I've used every type and brand of 3Ghz cable and NEVER had an issue so long as the cable wasn't faulty. There is nothing wrong with any other brand that they have don't have on the approved parts list but a few problems just came from failed cables or a very hard bend in a cable that caused a crack in the center conductor.

You won't get out of the ETF...very very unlikely! You have 30days I think though to get out of contract but I could be wrong.

You're right and wrong...can't get out of the ETF, and no, there isn't 30 days to get out of the contract, it's valid the moment it's signed, and the ETF applies right then (unless there is an over-riding regulation in that state that says otherwise, and I am not aware of any).

Are you using any part of your previous Directv system? Directv doesn't use as high a frequency on the satellite to receiver as DISH does so Directv could work but DISH won't Directv could also have splitters in the line that wouldn't be compatible with DISH. And yes white insulators on wall plates can make a difference as others have said. You signed a 2 year contract when installed it is a legal binding agreement unless DISH wants to let you out. Did you do any investigating before deciding you wanted to switch, your complaints weren't hidden from someone who checked out the system?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts