Help aiming slimline with 3 LNBs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hosedup

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2014
east tn
So I am about at the end of my rope. I spent most of today trying to get my dish aimed and still am having all sorts or rain fade with clear skies (mostly locals). Both receivers have the same problem. I would appreciate some help and if my post is in the wrong place, please move it accordingly.

First, my setup is as follows....
Located in ZIP code 37931, DTV slimline 3 LNB --> 4x RG6 --> zinwell WB68 6x8 multiswitch --> 2x HR24 /w 2x B band converters. I have a clear view of the sky.

The mast is perfectly plum. The 101 comes in fine, all transponders are 96+. I set the elevation, azimuth and tilt as per spec (El=44.6, Az=210, T=22) and using the Az and El, peeked the 101 using transponder 1. Does it matter which one?

Next I switched to the 119 and adjusted the tilt (very little change needed) and peeked it. I went back to the 101 and it was still good.

But, unlike what is said iin other threads, the others did not fall into place. The 99s is the worst, below are what transponders come in:
1-8: 0,53,0,0,90,0,na,na
9-16 na,na,na,na,na,na,0,72
17-24 81,76,76,0,34,0,0
25-32 all na

No amount of tweaking either of the 3 adjustments yield any improvements. Side note, all the signal screens populate transponder strength numbers quickly except for 99s. Most transponders show up really slow but some go fast (99s only).

This has been like this for a while (year maybe?) but Ive not messed with it because everything worked. Now, the locals and some HDs are completely unwatchable.

Is there a way to know what transponders and birds I need so I can tweak to those?

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions? This is driving me crazy.

:welcome to Satelliteguys hosedup!

The 99s and 103s satellites are all spot beams. Check 99c, 103ca, and 103cb. What are your signal strengths on those satellites?

If so, your dish is aligned quite nicely. What exactly are the problems you are having? You said rain fade. Is this only happening when it rains? If so, it's normal to lose signal for short periods of time during heavy rains.

Its not rain fade.... I used the wrong term. Its constantly dropping out and coming back...kind of like rain fade only it does it all the time.

The zeros I am getting on 99s is ok?

Yes "S" is spot beam and you will only get certain transponders, depending on where you are, if the "C" is 90% + the problem is not signal related.

So you checked 99C and 103CA and 103CB and they are all in the 90% range, or very close if below?

Its not rain fade.... I used the wrong term. Its constantly dropping out and coming back...kind of like rain fade only it does it all the time.

The zeros I am getting on 99s is ok?

Yes. Only one of the transponders on either 99s or 103s is designated for your area. You can discount all of the rest. Where do you get your local channels from? The dropouts could be a few things. First, check all of your connections and cabling. Look for cuts or really tight radii on the cables or loose connections. You could also have an lnb starting to go.

Is it possible find out just what transponders that I need to have?

Claude,
I don't think its bent, at least I do not have a reason to think so. Its not in range of tree limbs falling on it.

Is it possible find out just what transponders that I need to have?

Claude,
I don't think its bent, at least I do not have a reason to think so. Its not in range of tree limbs falling on it.

Yes, that's why I asked where you get your local channels from.

Check your signal strengths on 103s, transponders 15 and 24. That's where your local hd channels are. Your sd locals are on 119, transponder 25 and 29.

103s:
1-8 48,48,16,77,na,na,na,na
9-16 na,na,na,na,na,na,95,89
17-24 0,51,95,92,70,67,94,89
25-32 na,na,na,na,na,na,na,na
So on 103s, I have 95 and 89 for my hd locals.

1-8 na,na,na,na,na,na,na,na
9-16 na,na,na,na,na,na,na,na
17-24 na,na,na,na,na,98,0,96
25-32 100,97,100,97,96,95,0,100
And on 119, I have 100 and 96 for my sd locals

Currently everything is working but every now and then, it will drop out for half a second and fuzz the screen.

For completeness sake,
99c shows all between 91-95 or na
103ca shows all between 95-98 or na
103cb shows all between 92-96 or na

Thank you again for your help.

Just for clarity, I said only one transponder is used in your area for locals. That's obviously not true, at least not for you, as you have two for hd and two for sd locals. Did you get a chance to check the cable and connections? I'm leaning toward a failing lnb.

I did. Everything was tight and clean. The center conductors were all shiny copper and the dielectric was clean. Threads did not appear to have any corrosion. The only thing I noticed is that the 4 cables that up out of the conduit from the dish to the grounding block were stiff from sun exposure but again, all clean and tight. My dish is not mounted to the house, it is mounted to a 6x6 sunk 4ft into concrete.

I checked the impedance of each cable and found all to be ~75 ohms. (I have some neat toys) Cable from dish to multiswitch, ~60ft. From multiswitch to receivers, ~50ft.

You may be right, the LNB may be failing. Is there anyway to test for this without swapping it out?

I recently cleaned it a few months back thinking it may be the problem. The faces or each horn had built up a little mold as did the dish itself. This seemed to fix the problem up until a few days ago when everything went south. I can see crud on the horn causing a problem but the dish itself, is it that sensitive?

I have some rather technical questions about how the multiswitch, lnb and receiver work, what forum is appropriate?

It's looking more and more like an lnb. I'm not an installer, so I don't know if there is any way to test an lnb, but I don't think there is. Ask away on any other questions, if we can help, we will!

Im curious how the multiswitch works and the tech behind the 13v and 18v bias and the 22khz tone.

Also, each of the 4 ports on my lnb, does each supply the same group of signals?

Hopefully one of the installers will chime in with some answers for you.

So in the middle of a game, signal completely faded away over 20 minutes. My locals are on 103s, 15 and 24. Signal is showing 95 and 0 for those.

To me that seems like its not a problem on my end. Correct me if I am wrong, but if I am able to get one transponder nearly perfect and the other completely fails and both are coming from the same satellite, I am aimed correctly and the signal is not being sent?

I have yet to try changing out the LNB because im not sure what to get or where to get it. Solidsignal has 5 LNB units for slimline dishes but I could not find a 3 LNB version.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)