Help before I subscribe for Dish/942

New Guy

Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
I'm getting ready to subscribe for satellite television from one of the two providers, and I will be getting HD and DVR. I thought I was set on Dish with the 942 as my main receiver (will be operating in two rooms initially) and HD locals OTA. Now that I have read more about the 942 I have concerns though. The majority of our televsion watching and recording is prime time network television, which I will be getting OTA in order to watch in HD. This includes shows on seperate channels at the same time, when we need to watch one and record one or record two at once. As I understand it, I can't do this with a 942 as it has only one OTA digital tuner. I am also concerned as I read that many aren't able to get their local channel program guide on the 942. How do you set the DVR to record programs then? Is it back to the days of time based recording? Is there a better answer than the 942? Does D* have a better answer? I have seen D* HD DVR in stores and it is incredibly slow with the channel guide and the PQ seems inferior to Dish. I'm not worried about cost, if I can get and need two 942s to get the best HD quality and record two HD networks at once, that's fine. But I'm worried now that 942 is not the answer. Help please before I make a big mistake!!!

The 942 is likely the best HD-DVR out there.

And believe it or not, as BAD as the 921 is, it was the best available in early '04 - because it was the only thing available.

Problem is, AFAIK, you can't lease two 942s, so considering the limited lifespan of MPEG-2 boxes, you might consider buying a used 921.

Hey Simon, Well actually my HD-DVR i have with adelphia right now is VERY NICE indeed might be comparable to if not better than the 942 but i haven't seen a 942 so i can't honestly make that statement, but i did lol.. And no up front fee, $12.95 a month rental fee only, its the Motorola MOXI BOX their latest and greatest technology from Adelphia, BUT as you know i am DUMPING my service tomorrow with them because of the lack of HD channels they offer and also their HORRIBLE PQ on the first 100 channels which are ANALOG :( ... And their horrible billing department which continues to over bill me every month and i have to go argue and force them to honor my promotion price that was offered to me when i did sign up in April after my beloved voom went UNDER :( .... But overall the moxi box 9018 is a great HD-DVR but unfortunately its Adelphia's bottom line and i am not that attached to the box to deal with adelphia's horrible service... I wish dish didn't want the $249.99 for the 942 would love to have one but really don't record much on my HD-DVR i have now so not that big of a deal i will hold out for a lil while i guess.

Figured you wouldn't simon since you live out in the sticks where only dish is availble lol.. The only logical solution is to go with Dish because they offer the most HD and everything else is completely digital, unlike again adelphia's first 100 analog channels that look horrible on my 57" Hitachi HD Rptv and there limited HD channels.. So 942 HD-DVR player is definetely the best solution if you have the money to fork out, like simon and many others lol..

As per our chat at your place today, ;) I've got a 921, not a 942. Just hanging out waiting to see how bad E* is going to screw existing customers with the MPEG-4 swapout.

I've got NO problem with flipping my existing HDTV customer base to D* if that's what it takes.

The biggest reason for loyalty to E* right now is grandfathered distant nets, and that's going away bit by bit.

That being said, I tend to bring new HDTV customers into E* - at least for now.

Hey Charlie! Are you listening?

Yes, the 942 has only 1 ota (per unit), but the guide works (ota). I was kinda like you in regards to getting whatever gave me the most recording options (regardless of price). So, I got 2-942's. Renting one ($249 up-front cost) and purchased the other unit (new-$600). I can now record 2-ota HD programs at the same time!
At the present, E* has the most HD programing (be sure to get VOOM for only $5 mt). With the OTA I think the total number of HD channels is 21.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide upon........
Robert

Personally I'd go with the Directv HD-Tivo, especially if you're able to buy it (not pay $249 for the previlage to lease) for $199 like I did. :D It has 2 OTA HD tuners as well as the 2 sat. tuners. It's been a very reliable machine so far for me. The two big complaints I have are how slow the unit is and the fact that Directv's HD programming is pathetic. I might drop the HD package when the half off deal they gave me on it runs out in 6 months, there's no $5 charge to downgrade packages with Directv unlike Dish. There's only one show I watch on HDnet anyway. The other thing I like better about Directv is they have less stupid fees than E*, such as the extra $5 per DVR fee, extra $5 a month if the phones not plugged into it, etc.

It's true though that E*'s HD package is better than Directv's now. Directv says that will change when they get all their new sats up but who really knows. The other nice thing about buying the HD-Tivo now is that I'll get upgraded for free to the new MPEG4 Directv HD-DVR when that comes out next year. As for PQ? I've never seen E*'s HD so I really can't comment on how much better, if any, it looks than Directv's. I will say that my local CBS and FOX OTA looks amazing in HD! CSI Miami and Prison Break are reasons enough to go with an HD-DVR. I can't wait until my local ABC and NBC finally go HD.