Help! Dish 1000 Install - New to Dish Networks...

korereactor

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
Hi all! I recently had an installer come out to set me up with Dish Network service. I have a DVR 625 and a Dish 1000. I'm suppose to receive locals here in Abilene, TX off SAT 129. For some reason, when I try to access my local channels I receive an error 004, run check switch. I've run check switch several times(the installer did, too) and all SATs show a green OK. Diagnostics shows all is OK. Alignment appears to be OK, signal strength is above 100 on the 119 SAT, and shows green and locked on all SATs, although it is in the upper 60's on SAT 129. Not sure what the problem is. I do know that on the first time around when he ran a check switch it failed on SAT 129, but after a little realignment it checked OK. I've reset the receiver several times as well, re-ran check switch, still no luck. All national feeds come in just fine. Any ideas? The installer's scratching his head as well(THAT makes me nervous). Any help or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!

NOTE: This is a single TV, single reciever install, with a seperator at the reciever. I am running in single mode.

Would running check switch with the cables disconnected, then re-running check switch with them reconnected help any? I read this in another post, just wondering if it works or not.

If you can view more that one satellite you must have a switch. Yours is built in to the DP Plus Twin (the wide 2-LNB assembly next to the separate LNB).

Here's some more info - I am recieving the "Congratulations, You have a DISH 1000" on channel 9901. Is it correct that this channel is on SAT 129? If I can get that channel, why not my locals?

My installer seems to believe so - but then again, I wonder about him. He left cables dangling from my old DirecTV dish and even left a tool on my roof. Instead of disconnecting the cable from the grounding block he spliced into the existing cable left from the old DirecTV dish. I installed my original DirecTV dish, so I do have experience in this and know a sloppy job when I see one. Makes me a bit disturbed. I'm not sure what to do now...I don't want him coming back.

Funny thing - contacted Dish last night, told them what SAT I was connected to (129) and where I was from (Abilene, TX). They never caught it, but by the looks of things online you're right, locals do seem to be on 148, not 129. Which would make it impossible for me to use a Dish 1000, too, eh? Nice installer. Now I'm pissed...

Abilene-Sweetwater is on 148. They probably wont be on 129, as Dish is complying with the FCC by putting all locals on 148.

Only thing that isnt on 148 is the nat'l PBS (since you dont have a PBS in the market). The "tech" gave you the wrong dish. It should be a dish500 and a dish300

the 500 for most programming
the 300 for the locals

call Dish and tell them you want a different tech since the first one screwed up

On the phone with them now. They are cooperating and are p.o.'d at the installer as well. Wish I had done the research first. Thanks guys, you're inputs are much appreciated!

Well, here's a crapper - they're going to fix it, and make sure it's done right, but not until next Monday. And the tech that screwed up will not be returning to my house- EVER. I guess since I am getting National feeds that's OK, but I felt like they should fix this ASAP. The guy on the phone was sorry, but said that's the best he could do.

korereactor said:
Well, here's a crapper - they're going to fix it, and make sure it's done right, but not until next Monday. And the tech that screwed up will not be returning to my house- EVER. I guess since I am getting National feeds that's OK, but I felt like they should fix this ASAP. The guy on the phone was sorry, but said that's the best he could do.
The only thing I can add is why didn't you use a local dealer he should have known where the local channels are located? That is what you get for an 800# now you have to wait!!!! :(

I would have if I new it would be better. I installed the last dish myself(DirecTV), and assumed Dish Network wouldn't just send me the "free" equipment and allow me to install it. My only regret is not memorizing which sat my local channels are on, as I could have stopped him right then and there.

Looks like Dish Network feels my pain and is now sending out an installer tomorrow. Much better!

korereactor said:
Looks like Dish Network feels my pain and is now sending out an installer tomorrow. Much better!

glad to hear it!

Make sure they do it right and refuse the job if you have to.

Sadly, you will have 2 dishes, but they can put them close to each other so it won't look so bad :)

Iceberg said:
glad to hear it!

Make sure they do it right and refuse the job if you have to.

Sadly, you will have 2 dishes, but they can put them close to each other so it won't look so bad :)

2 dishes dont look bad, but then again, I would think more the more beautiful :)

I don't live in the Abilene market,but I was there recently. They have a large number of the 148 dishes installed there because the local cable co. is missing 1 or 2 of the locals over a carriage dispute. That local dealer must be an idiot.

Cox cable is in dispute with most of the locals so they're(the locals) pulling out.
For some reason DirecTV won't offer locals here, and they don't really even seem to care! So, bye bye DTV!

Note: It was suggested to me by someone that the locals may have done up a contract with Dish. Could that be possible? That would prevent DTV from offering locals?

NBA League Pass free during preseason???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)