Help - DPP-Twin and DP34-500

DallasMike

Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Hi. I'm new to all this so I need some basic help.

I currently have two dishes. One has only one output cable, and that cable appears to run into the other dish, out of which 2 cables exit.

Each cable then connects to a Dish Network receiver. When I run a check switch, I see three inputs. This all works fine.

We recently wanted to connect a third receiver and the DN technical support told me to get a DP34 switch which I got from eBay. Now, I run the two cables (that were previously running to two different receivers) into the input ports of the DP34. I then connect the original 2 receivers to 2 of the output of the new switch. This DOES NOT work. I get an error. When I run a check switch, I now see the DP34 and a warning that I now have fewer sattelites than I originally did.

When I save this setting, I lose all the channels associated with one of the dishes.

Help. What am I doing wrong? How do I fix it?

Thanks,

Mike

You need 3 lines going into the 34 switch not 2. Take the cable from that second dish with just 1 output, unhook it from the other dish, and hook it into one of the inputs on the switch. Make sure the 3 lines coming from the dishes are going to the 3 in ports on the 34 switch and that theres 3 lines going from the out ports to the 3 receivers.

Are any of the 3 receivers dual tuners? (control 2 tvs). If so you're gonna have to have 2 lines going to each dual tuner receiver or you're gonna need a 44 switch.

Hi. I'm new to all this so I need some basic help.

I currently have two dishes. One has only one output cable, and that cable appears to run into the other dish, out of which 2 cables exit.

Each cable then connects to a Dish Network receiver. When I run a check switch, I see three inputs. This all works fine.

We recently wanted to connect a third receiver and the DN technical support told me to get a DP34 switch which I got from eBay. Now, I run the two cables (that were previously running to two different receivers) into the input ports of the DP34. I then connect the original 2 receivers to 2 of the output of the new switch. This DOES NOT work. I get an error. When I run a check switch, I now see the DP34 and a warning that I now have fewer sattelites than I originally did.

When I save this setting, I lose all the channels associated with one of the dishes.

Help. What am I doing wrong? How do I fix it?

Thanks,

Mike

Ok Lots of things to go over on this.

First we really need to know what receivers you have, and what you want to add.

2nd a DP34 switch will not work with a DPP twin. SO you would have to replace the DPP with DP twin just to use the DP34.

3rd Depending on what receivers you have now the DP34 may not even be able to run the 3rd receiver. If you have dual tuner receivers now you would need to run an additional line to the receiver, as the DP34 is not DPP so you can't use the seperator.

A DPP-44 may be the switch that you need to use. Either way you will need to bring 3 lines down from the dishes to make either switch work.

Let us know what receivers you have first then we can help better.

Yea it will work for awhile them it will fail.

Do not use a DPP Twin with a 34 Switch.

I don't know how many of them I've had to fix like that.

As the other posters suggest, keep your generations of LNBs and switches pure, i.e. all legacy, all DP or all DPP. Your easiest solution is to get a DPP44 and rewire each LNB to an input. You'll then have 4 outputs to do with what you wish and the supplied separators will work fine if needed.

Regards, eric

whatever. It will work, and will have the same failure rate as a DP twin. DPP twins also work with DTV 3x4 switches and can run a single line to a dual tuner. I have also seen that at a friends house (an internal DNS guy) who set that up over 3 years ago w/o fail. YMMV!!

All my receivers are identical DP301. I do not have the duals. Each only takes 1 line.

I would rather not have to get up on my roof to change the connection between the two dishes.

I see what you're saying, but here's what I don't understand. The two lines coming down from the satellites were each going to one receiver. So I expect that each line has the datastream from both satellites. One Line - One Receiver = Full programming.

Now I take the two lines, connect them to a switch and try to connect to the same two receivers... and it doesn't work.

It sounds like I have to get up on my roof... but I hope there's another way?

No you have to get up on the roof one way or another.

You have 3 orbital locations your looking at. 2 (110, 119) on one dish, and 1 bird (129, 61.5,148) on the other. The DPP twin is using its built in switch to send all 3 birds to your 301's. Now you have the DP34 hooked up and its confused because the DP34 doesnt know the DPP twin is telling it. The DP34 overrides the DPP twin in this case. You cant have multiple switches hooked up like this.

Like someone said earlier, you must run another line from the 2nd dish to the DP34. This would be the dish with the single line going to the other dish. It must be removed and rerun to the DP34. So thus you will have 3 lines going into the DP34, 110,119, and probually 129.

Rerun the checkswitch and it will work. As for using a DPP twin here I personally would not. It does work but the reliabilty is lower in my experience.

Your only other option would be to get rid of the DP34 and install a dish 1000.2. This would let you run 3 receivers without running a new line from the 2nd dish It would also give you the ability to use a single line if you ever got a dual tuner and gives a 4th orbital. Make sure all lines are RG6 as well.

Last edited:
DallasMike said:
I would rather not have to get up on my roof to change the connection between the two dishes.
Since you already have a DPP Twin, the easiest way may be to replace a 301 with a dual-tuner receiver. Assuming you have a phone line connection, and subscribe to locals, you can get a 625 on the DVR Advantage plan for only $2 more than you pay now. Or get the non-DVR 322 and pay the same for 3 rooms as you do now for 2.