Help!!!DVR harddrive crash

fiestyirish

Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
My dishnetwork dvr harddrive has apparently bit the dust, since the message I get when I try to go to my recorded movies, etc. says, CANNOT ACCESS HARD DRIVE. Is there any way to recover the 60 plus hours of stuff I have recorded (some is irreplaceable by dvd)?? I am frantic! Thanks!

My 622 power supply went down about a month ago and I lost all on the HDD, it was toast! Mine would do anything but flash a light on the front of the reciever and then die a painless death.

there are places on the internet where you can find infomation about taking the hard drive out and putting in a desktop to pull the recordings off. It only works on certain model dvrs. I haven't tried it but I don't believe it would be very easy, and it will void the warranty on the reciever. So if it something under warranty, or a lease, I wouldn't even consider it

if taking the hard drive out and hacking it is beyond what you feel comfortable with.... nope, no way to get the recordings out

also, I doubt it would be worth it to even mess with, if the hard drive is completely dead then the computer wouldn't be able to access it either

I have a dishnetwork dvr510. Hope that helps clarify. Any help, advice, suggestions are appreciated! Just for info for everyone else out there who is thinking about dishnetwork--there is NO warranty on the receiver (unless you want to pay monthly "insurance"). This is the second one I have had that has barely lasted a year. I quit. I'll wait for the dvds to come out!

Last edited:
fiestyirish said:
Just for info for everyone else out there who is thinking about dishnetwork--there is NO warranty on the receiver (unless you want to pay monthly "insurance").

Thats not true... with the DHA promotions customers have the Protection Plan included while under contract... for free (I think, i'm an installer, but thats what one of my sales guys just told me)

Your first mistake was trying to use a temporary storage (HD) for permanent storage the second mistake was expecting a DISH Network product wouldn't have problems. Invest in a DVD burner or at the least a VCR and transfer important programs in the future. Buy the DHPP warranty at $5.99/mo. get the 510 replaced then cancel the DHPP.

That still doesn't replace my programs, which is my concern. I don't give a rat's ... about replacing something that is obviously not built to last! Besides I have the regular receiver sans dvr. In addition, I doubt they will let me get insurance, get a new receiver and then cancel it. That would be way too easy and definitely not cost effective to them. I going with TiVo next if and when the other one goes out. At least it has a direct way of downloading to the computer, which was my original question.

After working in DN customer service for 3 years, there is nothing I have heard about retreiving the lost info. These hard drives surely can be yanked out and accessed somehow. I'm not sure if you need special software to do that or not. Also depends on if the hard drive is hosed, or if the receiver is bad. I don't believe you have any hope for that lost info.
Sorry. Tom.

Look up the dishmod and dishrip groups on Yahoo. All sorts of info on not only retrieving files but replacing the HD if necessary.

BTY, if the drive is hosed you'll never get anything off it, just replace it and learn the lesson.

If you're really desperate, and you are able to yank out the drive, there's an awesome data recovery tool called SpinRite (written by Steve Gibson) at grc.com. This tool works miracles as long as the drive is not physically damaged. If you can get the drive hooked up to a PC and run SpinRite on it, you may have a shot at recovering the data.

fiestyirish said:
That still doesn't replace my programs, which is my concern. I don't give a rat's ... about replacing something that is obviously not built to last! Besides I have the regular receiver sans dvr. In addition, I doubt they will let me get insurance, get a new receiver and then cancel it. That would be way too easy and definitely not cost effective to them. I going with TiVo next if and when the other one goes out. At least it has a direct way of downloading to the computer, which was my original question.

but just keep in mind too... if a TIVO hard drive fails, you still can't access it.. I had a Series 2 hard drive fail about 6 months after I got it... when the drive fails, it fails, i dont care what the brand on the box is.
So, if you are constantly backing things up then you should be ok, but if you wait till something happens, then try to recover, it usually wont work.
And the transfer from the TIVO to the computer is PAINFULLY slow....

fiestyirish said:
My dishnetwork dvr harddrive has apparently bit the dust, since the message I get when I try to go to my recorded movies, etc. says, CANNOT ACCESS HARD DRIVE. Is there any way to recover the 60 plus hours of stuff I have recorded (some is irreplaceable by dvd)?? I am frantic! Thanks!
That is the reason I leased my receiver incase something happens to it. It's at their expensive to fix. I just assume that the hard drive is gonna fail and some point and save anything important as soon as possible.

Jim5506 said:
Look up the dishmod and dishrip groups on Yahoo. All sorts of info on not only retrieving files but replacing the HD if necessary.

BTY, if the drive is hosed you'll never get anything off it, just replace it and learn the lesson.

I don't feel like hunting this down, so I'll take the lazy way and ask here :D

Have they come up with a way to get HD captured on a 622 off unencrypted to an external source in the same resolution?

fiestyirish said:

Yes they would let you get the insurance replace your 510 and then cancel it.

I have a 510 that's been working firn for three years nwo not a problem. My 522 though lost a hard drive in four months time the replacement is fine.

Ron

Being that you lost cable shows do what i did when my 522 crashed. it's simple cable always is repeating programs just record it on our replacment dvr the next time the shows are on. cable is known for repeating shwos so that's a simple thing to do. that's why i wasnt' upset when i lost my programming.

Ron

ronfelder said:
Being that you lost cable shows do what i did when my 522 crashed. it's simple cable always is repeating programs just record it on our replacment dvr the next time the shows are on. cable is known for repeating shwos so that's a simple thing to do. that's why i wasnt' upset when i lost my programming.

Ron

Unfortunately, you can't record from a channel that DISH has canceled!!! (LMN)

Failed Hard Disk

Put the hard drive in the freezer for about 1 week and then try to recover the filles with one of the programs listed, putting in the freezer can make hard drive run for up to a couple mor hours before it dies again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts