Help findind 61.5

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I'm adding a second dish to receive 61.5 (voom), and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on finding the satellite. I'm sort of a newbie, but I think I know enough about it to hook everything together. I'm just not sure if I can locate the satellite.

I currently have a Superdish and a DP34 switch. I've purchased a DPP44 switch and will be using a Dish500 that I've had for a while.

Any suggestions?

First thing make sure you have a good Line Of Site to 61.5 and all LNB's are DP Pro and set the lnb on the 119 side of your y bracket if that is what you are using. set skew at 90 deg as you are only going to see 1 sat location, If your using a DP44 switch hook 61.5 on input 3 or 4, but to first set it up hook it to your reciver and find signal then put it back on to the switch and run a check switch. as far as azumith and elevation your zip code tells you were to start.

And if all else fails and you don't have a good Line Of Site for 61.5 you can look at sat 129 for the voom channels also.

Most of all have fun with your setup can be a pain sometimes.

JIGGIEFLY said:
First thing make sure you have a good Line Of Site to 61.5 and all LNB's are DP Pro and set the lnb on the 119 side of your y bracket if that is what you are using. set skew at 90 deg as you are only going to see 1 sat location, If your using a DP44 switch hook 61.5 on input 3 or 4, but to first set it up hook it to your reciver and find signal then put it back on to the switch and run a check switch. as far as azumith and elevation your zip code tells you were to start.

I guess this may seem like a silly question, but how do I know the line of site for 61.5?

And what do you mean by the "119 side of your y bracket"?

Thanks for the help.

Line of site is making sure you have a clear view to the sky at the sat location you are looking for.

No trees or building ect

some dish 500's have a y bracket on the end were the lnb's mount if it was used for 110/119 so if it does use the 119 side to set your lnb

[
QUOTE=JIGGIEFLY]Line of site is making sure you have a clear view to the sky at the sat location you are looking for.

I understand what line of site means. I'm just wondering how I know where the 61.5 satellite is located in the sky from my location.

Is there a website or anything that would tell me where to look from my location? Thanks.

First things first, check for line of site by making sure you have a clear view of the sky at compass heading and elevation appropriate for your area where you would like to mount the mast. If all is well with that, mount your mast at that location. Before mounting the Dish500, (crucial) make sure with a torpedo level, the mast is perfectly plumb straight up & down, if not, your skew and elevation setting will be incorrect. Next set the skew and elevation for your area on the dish. Once the dish is mounted, snug it so it is not real loose, but not so much that you can’t swing it from left to right. next hook up the meter (you can get a cheapie for $19.00) point the dish far to the left of where your compass heading should be, then slowly swing the dish to the right until the meter reading goes up to it's peaking point, then tighten it up there. Don't swing the dish in from the right or you will accidentally hit Direct TV or the Bell South SAT. If that be the case, the receiver will show good signal, but won't be able to lock on. Also, once you tighten the dish peak the elevation by easily pushing and pulling on the top of the dish to see if you need to adjust the elevation up or down. And you did it. But remember, if you are using a DPP44 switch with a Super Dish, 61*5 needs to go on port 3 and bring the 121 or 105 to port 4. If this is not done, some systems have intermittent signal loss (not all).

Good Luck

Confusion in this thread - from Dishtech.

Set context: we are talking ONLY about 61.5 - NOT 110/119 aiming.

IF you are using a Dish300, no fancy issues (no skew). Find the correct Azimuth and Elevation, point the dish. IF you can hear the receiver from the location of the dish, it will give you signal strength. Point Dish screen - remember to set 61.5 as the satellite, and also remember there is as much as a 3-4 second delay for the receiver to react to dish movement.

IF you are using a Dish500, there are 3 issues:
  • Set skew to 90. Period.
  • Cover the 110 side of the LNB (it's labeled) with foil to avoid mis-aiming.
  • Finally, the aim will be 4.5 degrees off due to the offset of the 'W' bracket. You need to aim the dish 4.5 degrees EAST of the "correct" azimuth.

I've been told that any dish would work as long as it's a Dish Pro series.

Do any of the Directv dish's use the dish pro series LNB's? I currently have access to a few old Direct dish's, but I'm not sure if they will work with the DP44 switch.

smokey982 said:
[
I understand what line of site means. I'm just wondering how I know where the 61.5 satellite is located in the sky from my location.
Is there a website or anything that would tell me where to look from my location? Thanks.

You can also find this info on your IRD, menu 6-1-1 point dish screen - peak angles. Just fill in your zip, the sat your looking for and Dish 300.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts