Help finding an RG-11 to RG-6 adapter...

JonUrban

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Eastern Connecticut
I have a customer who has RG-11 coax pulled under a parking lot to a camera pole, and the connection between the RG-11 and the RG-6 jumper has corroded to nothing due to rodent problems and needs to be replaced.

I could always just connect the leads on a terminal strip or some other connection method, but it would be better to have a proper converter, however, I have searched the internet and cannot seem to find the proper deal. The original installer just had the wires wire nutted and taped together!!!

Does anyone know where I can get such a converter?

THANKS

You can use a normal RG-11 compression or crimp connector, screw in a F81 barrel and use a RG 6 jumper to complete job. Enclose everything in a splice enclosure

There is no adapter. RG-11 connectors are consided a standard F-Fitting. There are three types of connectors for RG-11. The most basic, and not recommended, is one that works like a normal connector. The center conductor makes contact with the female end of the receiving fitting. The larger wire size of RG-11 can cause the contacts in the f-81, ground block or other to break. The newer 2 and 3 Ghz groundblocks and F-81's are delicate inside. They have smaller, and tighter, contact points. When these break off, they can cause a short. I have had that happen twice. IF you have to use this type of connector, then I would use NON 2or 3 GHZ rated barrels.

The second type of connector requires a solder on tip. This tip then slides into the connector and becomes the center conductor of the fitting.

The third type, and my favorite, requires no soldering. The center conductor goes into the connector and contacts grips that look like those on a barrel (F-81). The connector has a built in center condutor.

The real trick is to get the RG-11 preped properly for the connector you are going to use. Take your time.

Thanks guys. I don't deal with RG-11 often, so I'm not up on things. I certainly don't have the proper crimper for the fittings. Guess I'll have to take a trip to an electronics store and get some things (at the customers expense, of course! :D)

So, is there in fact a barrel connector that takes the RG-11 type connector on one side and an RG-6 connector at the other?

Thanks guys. I don't deal with RG-11 often, so I'm not up on things. I certainly don't have the proper crimper for the fittings. Guess I'll have to take a trip to an electronics store and get some things (at the customers expense, of course! :D)

So, is there in fact a barrel connector that takes the RG-11 type connector on one side and an RG-6 connector at the other?

No, its a standard F-81 barrol.

The reducing is done in the RG11 fitting!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts