HELP! HOA making me move DISH

The regulation is to prevent the HOA or landlord from requiring prior written permission if it would cause an unnecessary delay. It does not say anything against the installer requiring prior written permission (to protect their own butt) before doing an installation in a HOA. If the customer does not like it, they can always find another installer that does not have such a policy, or do a self-install.

How could the installer be liable for anything in a HOA?

Been doing this for 20 years. You don’t install in an apartment without covering your butt.

Single family home, you should ask if they own or rent, but generally in this situation there are no issues even if they Rent.

If the customer owns their home, then they can do whatever they want. It’s their problem if the HOA wants to cause a problem.

How could the installer be liable for anything in a HOA?

Been doing this for 20 years. You don’t install in an apartment without covering your butt.

Single family home, you should ask if they own or rent, but generally in this situation there are no issues even if they Rent.

If the customer owns their home, then they can do whatever they want. It’s their problem if the HOA wants to cause a problem.
I never said that it was a good idea for the installer to have such a policy, just that as far as I know, there is nothing preventing the installer from enforcing such a policy.

Is this one of those communities where everyone owns their own house, and there's a governing HOA? If so, I'd fight it. I have a personal issue with the idea of having to oblige by someone else's rules regarding my property. Unless it's the bank who's runs my mortagage, or the the town with safety regs, I'd say fight them.
Then why would you be stupid enough to buy a home in the HOA knowing that the rules are in place and you agreed to abide?

Then why would you be stupid enough to buy a home in the HOA knowing that the rules are in place and you agreed to abide?
You are aware that many/most newer sub-divisions created by developers have HOAs and unless you pay close attention you may not realize it until they come knocking at your door.

Heck, even a lot of mobile home parks have HOAs.

You are aware that many/most newer sub-divisions created by developers have HOAs and unless you pay close attention you may not realize it until they come knocking at your door.

If by saying "pay close attention" you mean telling your realtor you don't want to live in an HOA neighborhood, you're right. If it's an HOA neighborhood, it's going to be disclosed before you sign the final papers.

Just like there are good and bad installers, there are good and bad HOAs.

Reactions: KaptainRandom

The HOA is strictly regulated by state laws and they are incorporated into the deed you received. Additionally, you MUST acknowledge the HOA prior to closing and there is full disclosure before you sign on. There are NO surprises down the road other than to find out you got caught.

The rules are there for a reason and it ensures that some dirt bag can not come in and do as they see fit without consequence. All that I have ever seen have a lot of teeth and can lien your property for non payment of dues and levy hefty fines as well.

It is the folks who think they can thumb their nose at their neighbors and do as they see fit that have issues. It is not a matter for each of us to decide which rules apply and which don't. You buy in then play ball. You need a reasonable exception then ask for one and generally it is approved . Operative work is reasonable. Unfortunately a lot of folks are lazy and don't do their homework so it isn't a matter of paying close attention ... it is simply a matter of looking at the few pages of documents given to you before you purchase to decide if the rules are reasonable for your circumstance.

That said, I am no fan of HOA's at all and I will never live in one again. I am prudent, neat and don't need what we called the HOA Cops snooping around to see if I parked on my grass for 30 seconds or wanted to paint my home trim a different color. Not for me, but at the same time I don't care to have your dog crapping in my driveway either - so the dilemma.

Reactions: KaptainRandom
The HOA is strictly regulated by state laws and they are incorporated into the deed you received. Additionally, you MUST acknowledge the HOA prior to closing and there is full disclosure before you sign on. There are NO surprises down the road other than to find out you got caught.

The rules are there for a reason and it ensures that some dirt bag can not come in and do as they see fit without consequence. All that I have ever seen have a lot of teeth and can lien your property for non payment of dues and levy hefty fines as well.

It is the folks who think they can thumb their nose at their neighbors and do as they see fit that have issues. It is not a matter for each of us to decide which rules apply and which don't. You buy in then play ball. You need a reasonable exception then ask for one and generally it is approved . Operative work is reasonable. Unfortunately a lot of folks are lazy and don't do their homework so it isn't a matter of paying close attention ... it is simply a matter of looking at the few pages of documents given to you before you purchase to decide if the rules are reasonable for your circumstance.

That said, I am no fan of HOA's at all and I will never live in one again. I am prudent, neat and don't need what we called the HOA Cops snooping around to see if I parked on my grass for 30 seconds or wanted to paint my home trim a different color. Not for me, but at the same time I don't care to have your dog crapping in my driveway either - so the dilemma.
HOA disclosure rules vary by state but you are correct that they need to be disclosed during closure, the real problems start when you live in an area that the HOA is dormant then someone decides to resurrect it and get new rules passed. Issues like this are real.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts