HELP! HOA making me move DISH

Regarding the above linked fcc pdf...

Converted file pdm

The link above is the ruling affirming the trial court's decision that the Hollidays were excessive in their farm of antennas. Interesting read.

I agree with the court's decision in favor of the HOA in restricting the guy's number of antennas used. There are better ways to feed a 10 tv house than with an antenna for each tv.

Not really related to this thread's topic, just an interesting outcome setting more precedence.

I disagree. It's his property! If the damn HOA wants to pay half this guy's mortgage, THEN they should be able to tell him what to do with his property. HOAs are parasites.

My two cents:

I know that some of the folks in this thread feel a little oppressed by living in a society that needs laws to stop the most unethical, unreasonable and inconsiderate among us from trampling the rights of others. But you really should get over the need to strap that virtual six-shooter onto your hip.

A few quotes for you so you'll understand that those of us with the "virtual six-shooter" aren't the quaint short sighted individuals you make us out to be. It's those who are so willing to throw away their property rights for so little in return who are short sighted and naive.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities."

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. "

"When ‘the common good’ of a society is regarded as something apart from and superior to the individual good of its members, it means that the good of some men takes precedence over the good of others, with those others consigned to the status of sacrificial animals."

Ayn Rand

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Ben Franklin

HOAs are not a good thing, and those who choose to live in them deserve what they get.

Dishcomm, you're right. HOAs were created for the purpose of preserving property values. But further, they were also created for the purpose of making living in the neighborhood a more enjoyable experience for those that live there. This includes many of the restrictions that you seem to be offended by, such as not leaving your garage door open all day with the pile of crap filling up one of the bays like a flea market. Or flying flags. How'd you like it if the flag your neighbor's flying doesn't have stars and stripes, but KKK on it? And guess what. I'd rather have to get my colors approved than take the risk of having a hot pink house next to mine when I'm trying to sell it.

So you deserve whatever you get. It would absolutley offend me if someone had a flag with KKK on it. However I don't have a right in this country to not be offended. that is a person's right to free speech, no matter how vile it is. That's liberty. And I'll take it any day over tyranny. If you like other people's expression on their property to be curbed by law or community edict, there's a place for people like you. China and Cuba.

Anyone who moves into a neighborhood run by one of these HOA's deserves what they get. I have no sympathy for you. Sorry, but I'm frankly tired of people who agree to a HOA and then complain about them. You agreed to let some busybody supervise your home life so live with it!
But you should also know, if one of these organizations starts up after you moved into the neighborhood, you are not obligated by any law to be a member. That's the situation we have here. A few home owners thought it would be cute if they started one of these and could execute their control over their neighbors. Many of us told them where to go when they came around with the contract to sign up. In this neighborhood we have enough legal codes and zoning ordinances to keep bad people from ruining the place. So what good would a HOA do us? There were a couple additional controls these busy bodies thought they needed that the law doesn't provide yet a civil HOA contract would.
1. Ability to dictate what color your house could be.
2. How many cars you could have in your driveway.
3. Whether or not children could play in your front yard..
4. And last but not least, YES! you had to have cable TV, no satellite, no local broadcast.
There were other things too, a list of about 25 as I recall but I wadded up the paper and threw it in the guys face and told him he was trespassing, soliciting without a permit, and to get off my property.

:clap Great job!

Sure- playing devil's advocate here-

President of HOA has stock in Cable company; Same reason why the HOA has disproved your request to paint your house white, Blue or Green. They are a self proclaimed artist and to them the colors clash with the neighbors.
Should be same as the Mail box along the street. That is a regulation piece of metal and HOA's permit them but not Dishes.

But personally, I will make every effort to put the dishes ( I have three plus a yagi OTA antenna) out of sight, yet effective because I DO feel that a dish in the front yard on a tripod or a pole, looks bad, out of place, etc. BUT that's my opinion. I want my Dish where I have it, on the back side of the roof out of sight. Unfortunately, both D* and E* are now insisting on putting their larger dishes on poles or tripods in the front yard even with clear shots to the bird elsewhere out of sight. Personally, I think it is an advertising thing.
So what we have is an arbitrary decision made by an installer who typically was flippin burgers last week and this week is a satellite installer because he didn't get the other job sweeping hair at the barber shop. These guys know nothing about codes and don't care. They are unregulated, and mostly unprofessional.
Now those of you who do take pride in your installation work, you obviously don't need to take offense at what I said. You are not part of this bunch. But you probably admit that a huge percentage of the installers are like this. If you did take offense, than maybe you need to take a good hard look at what you are doing.

Personally, I think it is an advertising thing.
In Jacksonville, FL. it is very tough to get a permit to advertise anything anywhere unless you pay big bucks for a permit and wait months for approval. I once put a small sign in my front yard that was 9x14 " that had nothing more than my house number on it about 12 inches above ground I was cited for violating the sign ordinance. City permits house numbers only on or near the mailbox which must be next to the front door. This is code! BUT, today, I see hundreds of oval gray signs that advertise Dish or DirecTV in the front yard.
No I'm not offended..There are good techs and bad techs ..Just as there are good accountants and bad ones...No one I know in this business would put a dish in place to be seen for advertising purposes...In fact this is the first I have heard of such a theory..I can tell you for a fact and with no ambiguity that dish has no such policy requesting dishes be paced in the manner as you described.
The good techs place the dish where it needs to go to get the best signal and where the clear line of sight will last for many years. It sems that if one reads between the lines on this thread, that all HOA supporters and sympathizers believe that no dish EVER should be in eyeshot for any reason..In other words they believe a dish visible can ALWAYS be hidden and it was laziness on the part of the tech or obstainance on the part of the homeowner that cause the evil gray oval to be visible to the neighbors..
Again, no one seems to be able to come up with an answer as to why the mere sight of a little 20" dish cause so many so much consternation...

Hehe, I'm not entirely for or against HOAs, they're not all bad - if you choose to live in one, at least you have the benefit of several things just not happening, and the neighborhoods overall *seem* more pleasant.

No HOA is perfect, but everyone who owns a house in an HOA has the right to vote and speak their mind about what's going on, and they can organize opposition/campaigns against ridiculous rules.

Usually the bad HOAs happen when nobody takes interest in their neighborhood's affairs and decides to not vote on things or participate. The same thing happens when nobody goes to vote for their city staff.

Yes, there are bad things, and there are good things. IMHO if you're running into issues with an HOA, you probably shouldn't have bought a tract house in a subdivision anyway, rather you should've gotten a piece of land with more room to be comfortably/safely doing things in your yard that you want to (EG: Rebuilding and restoring a boat). Waking up at 8am because your neighbor is WOTing his dual V8 outboard motors with open exhaust and stinking up the whole *@#%%* street gets on my nerves.

I wish the HOA here had balls. It's an optional thing and they don't really do much, in a way - that's not bad, since they do nice landscaping and that's about it, OTOH this isn't a big spacious place - when people "do what they want", they tend to be treading on your own rights as a next door neighbor, like the rights to privacy, and freedom to breathe clean air, ya know.

On the flipside, I'm not a property nazi - if you want to fly flags, I'm cool with that. I recall an HOA forcing a guy to take down his flagpole, that was F-ed up.

If you want to redo a car in your garage, fine. Again, your damn property, why should I care?

OTOH, putting up a basketball hoop in the middle of the street, parking all your cars in the street for long amounts of time (project cars in front of other people's houses), and making an F-ing sh*t ton of noise all get on my nerves - I'll happily live in an HOA to not deal with bull like that.

With neighborhoods getting tighter and tighter, the tighter rules don't surprise me, really though you don't HAVE to buy the house there, for example in a lot of new neighborhoods, your driveway can be about 10' from someone else's back door.

That sounds lame, but it's a tradeoff - the developers get to use much more of the land, and the buyers who are interested, love it because they don't have to maintain a big yard.

The disadvantage to having a small yard (one I'm very familiar with) is that you end up that much closer to your neighbors. gah :\

I'm not sure why people make such a big deal about Dish placement either, but I doubt it'll be an issue in our other place's neighborhood - the best place to put a dish would be on the south side of the house, but the wiring is all on the north side *sigh* so it'll probably end up getting mounted up at the top of the north side. *shrug*

Even if it was mounted on the south side, it wouldn't really be hard to keep out of sight without having any LOS issues - our yard's huge and there's no problem with mounting them so that they're not visible, in fact that'd be a good thing because the dishes would be within easy reach :)

Really though, our house is visible on 3 sides, lol. There aint much we can do that'd make a dish invisible from the street, and other people in the neighborhood have theirs fairly visible anyway.

Some HOA's get price breaks from the local cableco, that goes a long way to not liking dishes.
The cable co. at my former community would only give the price break if everyone would sign up for cable. Fortunately, I wasn't the only one who wanted to keep satellite. There were many unhappy owners who wanted the lower price. If they had the votes, it would have been part of the monthly fee and everyone would get the same basic package with no option to upgrade.

I've always been surprised that Dish and DirecTV didn't team up to make Multi-Unit dish more affordable and easier to install. I know Dish was big on doing it in the early days for apartments, but I hardly see anything about it. I would think most HOAs would be glad to have one site with a couple medium sized dishes for the entire neighborhood, instead of house after house with dishes on the sides, roofs, or *shudder* lawn poles.

The cable co. at my former community would only give the price break if everyone would sign up for cable. Fortunately, I wasn't the only one who wanted to keep satellite. There were many unhappy owners who wanted the lower price. If they had the votes, it would have been part of the monthly fee and everyone would get the same basic package with no option to upgrade.

This is the part I can't stand. These sneaky graft filled agreements some developers make with "private cable' companies...For example..There is a builder of upscale homes that uses a one of these cable co's . The homewoners agree as a partof their HOA dues pay for basic (local channels) within their HOA dues. The structured wiring company contrated by the builder has a particular wiring scheme which precludes us from installing 4 tv installs..This company wires the entire home but the catch is they send just one swervice wire outside to the d-mark..Try doind a 4 install with that..Oh I forgot to mention the service wire goes to a panel in the interior of the home which of course is built on a concrete slab.
No way to get a second cable there unles you tear up a whole bunch of drywall..Not gonna happen...I lost two installs in a week due to this....Iam convinced that the builder, cable co and the structured wirring co are al in this together for one reason..To prevent homeowners from getting satellite....Just my two dollars..

and let me guess, you probably expect dish should move the dish for free cause your mom chose to live in an HOA and that she chose not to inform the tech of the guidelines with her hoa so he mounted it where was most approriate.

Hello,
I came across this Board and thought I'd contribute. 3 years after my WiFi server installed my antenna (it's mounted on MY roof at the very edge on wood). From the street, you'd have to strain your neck to see it, but it is the only dish along the backside of a row of houses. I didn't even realize it was there until I was told to move it a few weeks ago by my HOA.

When I asked my server to move it 6' back from the roof, they gave me 2 valid reasons why they could not, particularly if they did that, it would infiltrate the membrane of my roof, causing leaks & other problems. They also sent me 2 links about the FCC OTARD rules/laws which I read thoroughly and it seems that they their laws override what the CC&Rs might state (some kind of architectural rule). I put together a packet for the Board to review at a recent meeting including printed out pages of the FCC rules/laws. They responded in the same way - that I have to move my antenna 30 days from the date on letter!

I was told I had the right to Petition the FCC which is now finished and I plan to send it off today. This is SO aggravating and I don't know what to expect. This is a relatively new Property Management Company and a new HOA Board and I guess the antennae being where it is - bothered someone who doesn't have a life !!!

If the FCC prevails, is that the end of it? If not, I would have to find another place to put it which is unknown to me and the server!

Disgusted in SF.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Trudijane!

OTARD isn't carte blanche to put your antenna anywhere you want, but you do have most of the upper hand. First off, your roof probably isn't your roof, it's most likely considered a common area. It may be yours, check your deed. If it is a common area, you are SOL.

Hello,
I came across this Board and thought I'd contribute. 3 years after my WiFi server installed my antenna (it's mounted on MY roof at the very edge on wood). From the street, you'd have to strain your neck to see it, but it is the only dish along the backside of a row of houses. I didn't even realize it was there until I was told to move it a few weeks ago by my HOA.

When I asked my server to move it 6' back from the roof, they gave me 2 valid reasons why they could not, particularly if they did that, it would infiltrate the membrane of my roof, causing leaks & other problems. They also sent me 2 links about the FCC OTARD rules/laws which I read thoroughly and it seems that they their laws override what the CC&Rs might state (some kind of architectural rule). I put together a packet for the Board to review at a recent meeting including printed out pages of the FCC rules/laws. They responded in the same way - that I have to move my antenna 30 days from the date on letter!

I was told I had the right to Petition the FCC which is now finished and I plan to send it off today. This is SO aggravating and I don't know what to expect. This is a relatively new Property Management Company and a new HOA Board and I guess the antennae being where it is - bothered someone who doesn't have a life !!!

If the FCC prevails, is that the end of it? If not, I would have to find another place to put it which is unknown to me and the server!

Disgusted in SF.

Why are you even taking the HOA seriously.

Unless your renting the place and the landlord has an issue, I would tell them to pound sand and ignore their requests.

Obviously your dealing with someone on the HOA who has far too much time on their hands.

I just had a friend who had their HOA complain about the Dish I had installed on the balcony perfectly within OTARD rules.

Yet they wanted the dish installed in a common area on the ground, which is not within OTARD rules.

She didn’t want to fight the HOA, so we moved the Dish.

3 weeks later she gets into a fight with her boyfriend and moves out taking the dish with her.

We only went back and fourth with moving the dish for 2 months. Go figure!

Is this one of those communities where everyone owns their own house, and there's a governing HOA? If so, I'd fight it. I have a personal issue with the idea of having to oblige by someone else's rules regarding my property. Unless it's the bank who's runs my mortagage, or the the town with safety regs, I'd say fight them.

Reactions: Claude Greiner
Again present them the FCC guidelines. This is why the office I worked out of required that any home in a HOA area first have written permission to place dish. If we showed up and they didn't have permission, it was a no go.

Written permission to place a dish may not be permitted by FCC guidelines/regulations, considered excessive if it delays installation, especially if the general answer is to control location or deny installation.

Written permission to place a dish may not be permitted by FCC guidelines/regulations, considered excessive if it delays installation, especially if the general answer is to control location or deny installation.
The regulation is to prevent the HOA or landlord from requiring prior written permission if it would cause an unnecessary delay. It does not say anything against the installer requiring prior written permission (to protect their own butt) before doing an installation in a HOA. If the customer does not like it, they can always find another installer that does not have such a policy, or do a self-install.

Reactions: raoul5788
Again present them the FCC guidelines. This is why the office I worked out of required that any home in a HOA area first have written permission to place dish. If we showed up and they didn't have permission, it was a no go.

That’s stupid.

If a customer owns their home, I don’t care if they are in a HOA or not. The dish is getting installed.

That sounds more like an excuse not to do an install.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)