Help, Joey jumped off the shelf...

bryanw20

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Or so that's why my kid says.

I'm about 1 year into my 2yr commitment (about a 10-15yr Dish subscriber) and not paying the monthly insurance/service fee thing.

It powers on, but won't connect to the wifi H3

Do I call/chat w/Dish ( I really hate that; did you try plugging into a different outlet? um it powers on, what diff does another outlet make; but OK lets try it your way... Oh hey look, still not working!)

Do i just buy one off ebay; then how do I swap out the service?

suggestions please.

Do you own it or are you leasing it??? If leasing (doesn't matter if you're paying for the protection plan) just call them up, tell them it don't work & they'll ship you a replacement...not a big deal.
If you own it, you can still call & ask what they would charge to swap it for a replacement; if too much, then just buy a new one online. Then you have to call & have it added to your account & the old one removed.

Reactions: bryanw20
thanks; I don't think I own it, it was $25 extra for a wifi version on install, I pay $7/mo for each joey.

I'll call them (call better than chat? are the phone reps in the US?)

thanks; I don't think I own it, it was $25 extra for a wifi version on install, I pay $7/mo for each joey.

I'll call them (call better than chat? are the phone reps in the US?)
Are you saying it's a wireless joey?

yes it is; don't have an easy way to wire it to test it.
Have you tried the following......?
Pull power cord from both Joey and WAP.
Plug in WAP, wait till it cycles...three lights
Plug in W Joey. Wait for it to cycle.
Might get some joy.

Have you tried the following......?
Pull power cord from both Joey and WAP.
Plug in WAP, wait till it cycles...three lights
Plug in W Joey. Wait for it to cycle.
Might get some joy.

even tho 2 other wireless joey's are working fine?

Yes. Might want to try the setup wizard if that fails.

thanks; will try that too, power cycle didn't fix it; sestup wizard won't change the other 2 working joey's right? that's the only reason I haven't tried that route yet.

thanks; will try that too, power cycle didn't fix it; sestup wizard won't change the other 2 working joey's right? that's the only reason I haven't tried that route yet.

tried auto setup; no wireless networks found.

I suspect somethng came loose inside, cracked a pcb, or something.
guess I'm gonna call now. =(

Well only took 45min this time; no real stupid questions; but 2 reps later they tried to send a tech to the house. I asked for mail onstead & they agreed to ship a new one to me instead =)

and it appears it's just the wifi section; I did string a loooong ethernet to it & it started working again.

so now I'm curious, does watching TV send the data over my computer network? Can that slow internal network speeds down?
As far as outside internet I only have a 10M down/1Up (on a good day); so could Dish be 'clogging' my surfing speeds at all?

but Scott maybe he was feeling abonded & trying to get back in his pouch!

Well only took 45min this time; no real stupid questions; but 2 reps later they tried to send a tech to the house. I asked for mail onstead & they agreed to ship a new one to me instead =)

and it appears it's just the wifi section; I did string a loooong ethernet to it & it started working again.

so now I'm curious, does watching TV send the data over my computer network? Can that slow internal network speeds down?
As far as outside internet I only have a 10M down/1Up (on a good day); so could Dish be 'clogging' my surfing speeds at all?

You're not watching TV over you home network, you're watching it through the Hopper. Only time it would ever tax you is when downloading OnDemand.

So you had no warranty and they replaced it for free? I got the free warranty right now for 6 months but debating if I really want to keep it past that. If they will replace a box for free I am not going to keep it. Even if that is included with mailing me a box only. I don't need a tech for that.

Reactions: pattykay
So you had no warranty and they replaced it for free? I got the free warranty right now for 6 months but debating if I really want to keep it past that. If they will replace a box for free I am not going to keep it. Even if that is included with mailing me a box only. I don't need a tech for that.
The Protection Plan is pretty much needless these days, especially if you have been a long time, hassle free customer. Dish is pretty forgiving in most cases.

Only if the Wireless Joey is using the same Wi-Fi frequencies as your home Wi-Fi network. There are apps you can download to check this out apparently.

apparently. I haven't paid for the protection plan in years. He first said they'd send a tech to the house at no cost; then I asked for a mail swap instead; never mentioned a price other than if I don't send i the broken one I'd get charged MSRP value.

So cool, glad it was easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts