HELP!!! Losing either all G19 or all AMC4!

Cemguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Over the past week or so, I've been intermittently losing (no signal) either all the G19 stations or all the AMC4 stations.

It seemed to happen most often when changing channels either in full-screen mode or list mode when originally on a G19 station, changing to an AMC4 station then back to a G19 station (or AMC4 to G19 to AMC4).

Until today, I could get the missing (no signal) stations back by turning the STB off, waiting 10 seconds, then turning it back on again.

Today that didn't work.

I decided to do a "factory reset" to make sure no settings were inadvertently changed. I foolishly pressed "OK" for factory reset which, of course, meant that all the Glorystar channels disappeared.

I then read the manual and typed in "2020" at the "factory reset" screen and got the list of channels back with the settings, apparently, returned to the GloryStar defaults.

However, still no G19 channels for about 10 minutes, then they came back.

I did an "auto scan" and while sorting out the results (deleting, moving, etc.) I would again "lose" either all the G19 or AMC4 stations.

Until I find out what's going on, I arranged all of the G19 stations we watch most in the first 10 channel positions, the rest of the G19 stations after that, followed by the AMC4 stations we watch most, followed by the rest of the AMC4 stations (to avoid switching between G19 and AMC4 to the extent possible). I had to turn the STB off, wait 10 seconds, then turn it back on again and now I have the G19 stations. I'm avoiding checking the AMC4 stations to avoid losing the G19 stations again.

Another weird thing is that, a couple of times when I lost the G19 stations, all of which except for 1 are Vertical polarization, when I moved to the one G19 channel we often watch which has Horizontal polarization, then back to one of the other G19 stations, I got the G19 stations back (but lost the AMC4 stations again.

Help!!!!

Anything I should check in the receiver settings? How should I troubleshoot?

Here are the settings in the "antenna setup" screen:

For Galaxy 19 (Galaxy 25 Ku in the menu):

LNB Type: LNB-10750
Positioner: Off
Transponder: 12177/V/23000
0/22Khz: On
Switch: DISEqC 1.0
Input: LNB 2
Port (greyed out): 1

For AMC4:

LNB Type: LNB-10750
Positioner: Off
Transponder: 11708/V/2170
0/22Khz: Off
Switch: DISEqC 1.0
Input: LNB 1
Port (greyed out): 1

This is some type of switching error or low Signal Quality.

Quality above 50%?

Using existing pre installed coax cables or the cables that were provided with your system?

RG6 Coax Cable?

Splitters?

Check connections for corrosion.

Replace switch.

Last edited:
This is some type of switching error or low Signal Quality.

Quality above 50%?

Using existing pre installed coax cables or the cables that were provided with your system?

RG6 Coax Cable?

Splitters?

Check connections for corrosion.

Replace switch.

No changes since 04/08 when installed. Same signal qualities as always. Same physical condition as when installed.

I've ordered 2 of the "new" 2x1 switches (at $9 I thought it would be good to have an extra on hand...although shipping, for some reason, is almost as much as the switches).

Is the "new" ECODA switch a direct replacement (connections are arranged differently from the existing switch - opposite sides on new, same side on existing based on picture).

I'm assuming I can turn power to STB off, unplug STB, replace switch and should be ready to go. Is that correct?

It sounds like a switching problem to me, but is it possible that the receiver is not sending the switching voltages properly?

By the way, now rather than just using the remote to turn the STB off and on to get the channels back I have to turn the STB power switch off and on.

Thanks for your help.

No changes since 04/08 when installed. Same signal qualities as always. Same physical condition as when installed.

I wouldn't assume that the connections aren't getting corrosion in the winter weather. Unreliable switching is more likely to be a bad cable or connector than any other reason. The 22KHz switch will probably work better as it does not rely on a modulated 22KHz signal, but rather a straight ON/OFF 22KHz tone.

I've ordered 2 of the "new" 2x1 switches (at $9 I thought it would be good to have an extra on hand...although shipping, for some reason, is almost as much as the switches).

Yes. A single switch costs as much to prep and ship as 10 switches.

Is the "new" ECODA switch a direct replacement (connections are arranged differently from the existing switch - opposite sides on new, same side on existing based on picture).

LNBF #1 to Switch Port #1 LNBF #2 to Port #2.

I'm assuming I can turn power to STB off, unplug STB, replace switch and should be ready to go. Is that correct?

Correct. Just the same as the installation process.

It sounds like a switching problem to me, but is it possible that the receiver is not sending the switching voltages properly?

A DiSEqC switch is controlled by a modulated 22KHz tone, not voltage. It is highly unlikely that the receiver is at fault if the switch sometimes will change. Switching ON/OFF of the receiver cuts the tone generation and power then reapplies both. Very typical to force a switch to occur when resending commands in this manner. The problem is most likely related to the coax cable (moisture wicking through a damaged cover, sharp bend or kink, corrosive fitting, inappropriate cabling or insertion of a splitter or diplexer, etc.)

By the way, now rather than just using the remote to turn the STB off and on to get the channels back I have to turn the STB power switch off and on.

Thanks for your help.

OH WOW! I just spent 3 hours - very simular symptoms - troubleshooting an install I did for an older couple. They had made a purchase (3ABN ??) and wanted it instatlled so I did it for them (about 10 monyhs ago). After 2 1/2 hours I finally noticed that the coax center (and wire) had backed out from face about 1/4 inch on crimp on connectors. One I was able to stretch the cable back in, the other, I had to recrimp. Now both polarities on both satellites are solid. No visible damage or corrosion. Problem solved.
POP

Today I was watching a G19 station, switched to an AMC4 station. The AMC4 station had no signal. When I switched back to the G19 station it had no signal.

I switched the reciver off using the power switch on back of the box, waited 10 seconds, then turned it on again. Got the G19 channels back.

I checked all connections. They all looked good. I decided to make sure the connections at the switch were tight. I applied pressure to all. The most any moved was maybe 1/16 revolution.

Checked back at the receiver. Only can get AMC4 stations now. Even switching box on and off won't bring the G19 Stations back.

Replaced coax between switch and receiver.

Can now switch back and forth between G19 and AMC4 without problems.

Will wait 48 hours before declaring problem solved.

No further malfunctions for over 48 hours.

Problem appears to have been solved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)