Help me decide abd info please!!

jrudicel

Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
North Vernon, IN
Ok...I currently have Direct.... I have been with them for 1.5 years and currently am not in any committment with them. I have total choice plus programming for 49.99 per month, plus 5.99 for the protection plan, plus 10.00 more for 2 extra recievers for a total of like 65.00 plus taxes. With taxes its about 69.99 month for my 3 tvs and the protection plan. I am ok with the programming for the most part except that it goes out every time it rains hard. What I want is for my bill to be a little cheaper and I would love to be able to record on 1 or 2 tvs using a DVR. I called today and asked them of any promotions or deals if I would sign up for another contract...All I got was 2 movoe channels for the price of 1 or something like that. I asked about a deal on a DVR and it was like 99.00 I think with a 2 year committment. Ridiculous!!!! This was from some regular customer service guy, so who knows...
So, I call a local dish place and looked online.. I can change over to them with the same 180 channels for 49.99 month+5.00 for locals+10.78 for an exrtra receiver AND DVR service. total of 65.98 month with a 10.00 credit for 10 months making it 55.98 for the first 10 months... And thats with a DVR that will run 2 TVS and another reciver for the 3rd and 4th rooms.. Plus...free install(49.99 install fee credited back on bill) and protection package with committment or only a 49.99 install and no free protection package if I dont do the committment.
So, my question... What should I do? I know NOTHING about Dish! I just want to be able to use DVR capabilities and looks like I could save some bucks too. Good , bad, ideas, suggestions? Anything I should ask for or any hardware better than the other?
I dont have any HD stuff, just regular TVS.. 1 in family room, and 1 in each of the kids rooms. Maybe down the road add a TV to the living room, so 2 recievers is all I need. Would you put a DVR in the family room...then a regular reciever to run kids rooms? Or would you use a DVR to run family room and a kids room, then other kids room run alone?
Thanks to any insight on hardware, ideas, suggestions, or info on a killer or better deal! Thanks alot guys.

jrudicel said:
Ok...I currently have Direct.... I have been with them for 1.5 years and currently am not in any committment with them. I have total choice plus programming for 49.99 per month, plus 5.99 for the protection plan, plus 10.00 more for 2 extra recievers for a total of like 65.00 plus taxes. With taxes its about 69.99 month for my 3 tvs and the protection plan. I am ok with the programming for the most part except that it goes out every time it rains hard. What I want is for my bill to be a little cheaper and I would love to be able to record on 1 or 2 tvs using a DVR. I called today and asked them of any promotions or deals if I would sign up for another contract...All I got was 2 movoe channels for the price of 1 or something like that. I asked about a deal on a DVR and it was like 99.00 I think with a 2 year committment. Ridiculous!!!! This was from some regular customer service guy, so who knows...
So, I call a local dish place and looked online.. I can change over to them with the same 180 channels for 49.99 month+5.00 for locals+10.78 for an exrtra receiver AND DVR service. total of 65.98 month with a 10.00 credit for 10 months making it 55.98 for the first 10 months... And thats with a DVR that will run 2 TVS and another reciver for the 3rd and 4th rooms.. Plus...free install(49.99 install fee credited back on bill) and protection package with committment or only a 49.99 install and no free protection package if I dont do the committment.
So, my question... What should I do? I know NOTHING about Dish! I just want to be able to use DVR capabilities and looks like I could save some bucks too. Good , bad, ideas, suggestions? Anything I should ask for or any hardware better than the other?
I dont have any HD stuff, just regular TVS.. 1 in family room, and 1 in each of the kids rooms. Maybe down the road add a TV to the living room, so 2 recievers is all I need. Would you put a DVR in the family room...then a regular reciever to run kids rooms? Or would you use a DVR to run family room and a kids room, then other kids room run alone?
Thanks to any insight on hardware, ideas, suggestions, or info on a killer or better deal! Thanks alot guys.
The first way to save money is to take the $6 off for the protection plan, you were not going to take it with dish. Rain fade is going to be the same with DISH maybe a little worse seeing their satellites are lower on the horizon and you will look through a little more atmosphere. I'm not crazy about DISH"s 625 DVR but it is better than D* R-15 if D* was still using TiVo it would be hands down D*. Right now get through to D* retention dept. explain the economics that you have with DISH and they will probably give you a comparable lease option but the 24 Mo. commitment will stay.

jrudicel said:

Here's what we did and you can go from that. We sub to DISH with the 180 channels plus HD, so that's about $70/month, but using CLub Dish credit, you can get that down by a $25 credit/month if you refer 5 people. OK, we have ONE receiver the 622 HD in the family room and SD to the rest of the house--the receiver has dual tuners and the output from the second tuner (not HD) goes through a splitter to 4 other SD TV's in 4 other rooms in the house (this could also be done with one of those wireless TV doodads that sends a signal to the whole house). The remote for the other 4 TV's (you can find others on EBAY) is UHF so it will work no matter what room it is in.

IF you ever think you are going to get HD, you will want the 622 to record these HD movies. But you could get that later, probably, but there is no comparison of HD on Dish with Direct--Direct just does not have it.

Rain fade--depends on where you are -- but I just had my Dish reponted and it really helped the signal strength so that it hardly ever fades during rain anymore.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Pat