Help me decide

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ElroyJ

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
St. Louis, MO
First thing is I am not looking to spend any money on TV right now.

I got a call from Dish about free upgrades to my hardware.

I currently have and own the 721 and the 811.

I don't have any hd programming except HBO and SHO I used to use the 811 just for OTA antenna HD. Even thought the tuner sucks bad. I don't use it now since I have a PC to record HD locals.

I can replace the 811 with the VIP211. It will be leased but will not cost anything and will have no lease fees. This would basically be an exact replacement. I currenlty subscribe to locals but not HD locals. They said it will cost $7 a month to get the HD locals or $10 a month to get the HD locals with 39 HD channels.

I really don't want to spend money right now or raise my bill.

They also told me that they can replace my 721 with a 522 for free. Same deal leased with no fees and my bill would not go up.

I like my 721. Yeah it goes slow after a week and needs to reboot but at least I know how it reacts, but it is getting old.

How is the 522? Is it as good or better than the 721?

Should I do both of these changes?

I can also change the 811 to a VIP 722 for $125 and again it will be leased with no fees. That will get me a HD dvr but I don't really want to pay more now for HD channels.

Can the 722 record OTA HD?
If it can then this would be a plus. Since I wouldn't have to switch to my PC.

I am thinking I should go for the 722 and the 522.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Whats a 522? Do you mean a 622?
Anyway the $7 Fee is an HD enabling fee that E* has now that,if you Have any HD equipment you get Charged $7. So it would be wiser to pay the $10 so you can get all that extra HD programming depending on your package. DVR atvantage is only good for waving 1 DVR fee. So if you Have a 622 or 722, DVR is included along with locals,But if you add a 211 you still have to pay $7 additional receiver Fee. If you add another HD/ DVR then its $7 plus DVR fee of $5.98

If you don't want to spend any more money, stay where you are. If you are willing to spend "some" more money, go for the 722. I think it's worth it; I went from the 811 to the 622 to the 722 and liked each one, but the recording capacity on the 722 is great. I don't get OTA HD, but I understand the 722 does record it.

Fitzie

If you keep the 811, you will soon have no HD except OTA, because Dish is dropping ALL MPEG2 HD via satellite and moving ALL HD via satellite to MPEG4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)