Help me in my decision making

Danzio

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
I am currently a cable customer (Adelphia, So. Cal.) and am considering switching back to Sat. I have a dual LNB up from a few years ago when I was with DirectTV. I had numerous problems with them and their customer support (actually lack of same) and could not wait for my contract to expire so I could boot their A** out of my house. I have 3 tv's in the home, I own 1 Tivo for standard definition in one bedroom and I have a cable supplied HDDVR which doesn't cost me any more than a S/D receiver. My total monthly bill runs right about 150 bucks a month but that includes broadband internet. Now, the only reason I would consider going back to satellite is due to the fact that I receive very poor picture quality on SD broadcasts from my HD tv. It is due apparently to the analog signal, I think.

Anyway I would like some feedback from you knowledgeable folks on the differences between Dish and Direct. I have read thru some of the posts and as expected there are many different opinions. If I go with Direct would they bring out a new dish and leave it with me to use for camping since I already have one on the roof? Also the one on the roof was never grounded, do you think I could demand that if they leave that one up, they must ground it? Why do so many installers not ground the units to begin with?

Sorry for all the qustions but after my first experience with DirectTV I just want to be sure I get some good customer service this time.

Thanks for any replies.

Dan

"Now, the only reason I would consider going back to satellite is due to the fact that I receive very poor picture quality on SD broadcasts from my HD tv"

You may not get a better picture from another provider. It may have more to do with how your TV displays SD. Staying with your cable provider might make you happier if that is the only reason for the switch.

Eddie

If you had problems with D* before, then I would not go back to them. I also had terrible customer support, installers, and troublesome receivers with D*.

E*'s support is great.

Basically, here's the differences:

E* is mainly focused on general interest channels, shopping networks, premium channels and public interest channels. D* is focused more on sports.

Here's a chart that you might want to look at: http://steve.dbstalk.com/dbs/packagecomparison.htm

That compares both services channel-wise.

E* has a better interactive channel in my opinion that D* does. E* also has VOOM. D* has tivo, but that will end soon. E* has DVRs which are great receivers to use.

In SD, E* has better PQ than D*. I don't know about HD, since I dont have that yet.

If you are Christian, you might also like E* because they have Sky Angel. I'm Jewish, so I wouldnt know if its good or not.

It also seems that E* has more or better premium movie channels. Encore's line-up of channels is included in AT180 for no additional cost and your RSN is also included for no cost.

E* also has Sirius and Muzak. D* only has Music Choice.

I hope I helped.

The HD PQ on E* is much better than on D*. There are many threads in various forums about D* selling overcompressed and bit starved HD- referred to as "HD-Lite." And E* carries more HD anyway, with the VOOM package (will be expanded to even more channels around the end of the year).

Thanks guys, a few more questions. I assume E* = Echostar = Dishnetwork.

My issue with cable and SD picture quality really began when I switched my HD converter box over to a Moxi unit (HDTV with DVR). The high def pic is outstanding, the SD pic with digital input (any channel 100 and above) is adequate but the SD analog (channels below 100) are terrible and sometimes worse than that. I am not sure but I believe that the new Moxi only supports digital above 100 (don't know why) because this was not an issue with my standard non DVR but HD cable box.

Now, if all satellite broadcasts are digital, why would the pic quality change from one SD channel to another? Or if you are simply saying that SD is inferior to HD well yeah, I know that but I want all SD to at least be viewable. Especially my FOX sports west channel which broadcasts the local sports including the Angels and sometimes the picture is unbearable and I have to go upstairs and watch it on my non HD tv which has the standard converter box.

Do these questions make any sense or am I really missing something?

Have your HDTV peaked for reception from the Moxie box or get an additional SD converter box from the cable company and put it on a different input of your TV if you think the Moxie is the source of your picture degredation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)