Help me out here. ATT has a great 2yr offer - I want to stay but???

With a traditional land line you can still have phone access during a power outage with a corded phone. With voip you need electricity to power your equipment.

I guess my take on that is that if you have a cell phone, you still have communications with the outside road, so for me I simply couldn't see the need for the added expense. But, to each his own!!

Around here, if you buy a bundle that includes telephone and internet from AT&T you do NOT get a POTS land line. You get VOIP through the UVerse modem. There are two POTS jacks on the back that get wired into you home phone wiring. I'm not sure AT&T will even install new POTS lines any more. They have filed with several states to stop providing POTS service completely.

AT&T used to provide a Belkin UPS for their UVerse modem, but I understand that they no longer do. They suggest you buy your own UPS if you want telephone service in a power outage.

The RG I just got from AT&T is a Pace box which has a port in the bottom for a battery, presumably for the voice service in case of power loss. I don't have voice service from them, but, if I did, it would probably be worth my while to get a battery to put in there. (or get an external UPS, whichever is cheaper)

But if your cell phone dies and the power is out your SOL

Or you could spend $12 for a power inverter for your car and keep it charged as long as necessary! But, but, but. People will always come up with reasoning for their decisions, the including me.

We had vonage for many years and then they became guilty of rate creep. Every year it was a little more so I decided since we were already paying for cell crevice it was kind of stupid to be paying vonage, att or anyone else for another phone. We just ported our home phone number to our cell provider and have been happy with this setup for many years now.

With a traditional land line you can still have phone access during a power outage with a corded phone. With voip you need electricity to power your equipment.

In addition, fax transmissions are more reliable. One is the real product and the other is a emulated product that travels over the internet.

So reliability is one of them as the land line actually uses the dedicated copper pair to the telco while VoIP relies on your internet connection so if there are problems, there goes your landline connection too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts