Help me set up my VIP722!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nvhlvnop

Original poster
May 28, 2008
I currently have my VIP 722 running in single mode. The coax from the dish runs straight to the back of the 722. Now I've gone out and bought an OTA antenna so I'd like to do the following:

1. Run the OTA antenna to each room in the house and to the back of the 722 (home is already wired for that).
2. Use the TV2 out from the 722 and have it also go to each other room in the house (I'll be switching over to dual mode).

I'm having truoble figuring out all the splitters and diplexers needed. I don't think they can do quite what I expect them to do. I know I'll have signal losses with the splitters so I'll probably need amplifiers. Where? Or should I buy an amplified splitter?

I've drawn up a rough draft schematic of what I plan to do. I need this torn apart from you guys and reconstructed. I think there is too much going on with the single coax from the attic to the living room. It is really complicated to install a second coax in that location of the house, so see if there's a way to use just that one cable. Please take a look at the schematic and tell me if my plan will work. I also think there's a problem with the splitters becasue I'm using them to send a signal both ways.

Bonus points to someone who draws up a better schematic :)

Thanks.

Attachments

• VIP722_schematic.JPG
    VIP722_schematic.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 610
What you've got would work fine, unless the splitter on the left side near the OTA antenna is of a type that isolates the two outputs from each other. I'm not even sure such isolation is possible since they go to the common port where the OTA is connected.

If it's already working with the OTA antenna to the four TVs it should be fine. The 722's send out an amplified signal that you're supposed to attenuate if connected to the local TV. I guess they know if you're using the RF output for TV2 there are probably some splitters in the way.

Disclaimer: The FCC says it's illegal to rebroadcast your TV via the OTA antenna. It's possible that a standalone TV could pick up the signal within proximity of your house, depending on how big the antenna is. The "correct" way to do all this is with a Super Home Node which among other things filters out the backfeed from being sent out the antenna.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts