Help me understand OTA tuner operation with 722 please...

RWB

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I live in metro Atlanta and have in the past successfully used a cheap OTA antenna for HD locals fed directly into my HDTV prior to getting my 722 DVR.

At present I have TurboHD Bronze and local channels, no problems at all.

Is it possible to get seamless operation with local channels using a OTA antenna?

Do the local channels show up on the DISH guide?

We use the 722 DVR for local recording, I'd like to drop the local channel charge ONLY if using the OTA option is easy and not a pita.

I really appreciate your time and comments.

You have to keep a local channel sub to use the OTA antenna on Dish. Without a local channel sub, you cant record.

The OTA scan integrates them into the guide, right next to your sat locals. Go ahead and scan them in, and it will allow you to record 3 locals at a time (2 sat and 1 OTA). Will help on Thursday nights!

It works very well....

You have to keep a local channel sub to use the OTA antenna on Dish. Without a local channel sub, you cant record.

The OTA scan integrates them into the guide, right next to your sat locals. Go ahead and scan them in, and it will allow you to record 3 locals at a time (2 sat and 1 OTA). Will help on Thursday nights!

It works very well....

This is not entirely true. You still can record without a local channel sub because I do it all of the time. However, it has to be a manual timer and not named-based recordings. You won't get the guide information for OTA unless you sub to local channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)