Help me with this remote...

Diamond Dog

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
When I program the 811 remote with the sony DVD player code, all the keys work fine, but you can not scroll through the DVD menus to select various things.

My B&K audio preamp in not in the code list and thats the learning remote I pretty much use.

I cant prgram the 811 remote into my learning remote as I think the 811 remote is UHF and my learning remote is infrared. I tried controlling the 811 with my 522 remote thinking it would be the same frequency and I could program THAT into the learning remote, but it didnt work as I think the 811 receiver does not take any infra red signals.

Anyone have a suggestion outside of buying yet another learning remote?

Thanks

On the 811, do this:

Menu .. 6 .. 3 .. Teach Remote

Your B&K remote may be able to learn the 811 commands. The 811 does work with an IR remote, but the 811 remote only sends out the RF signals to the 811 (unless you go into Teach Remote).

Keith.

Try the Harmony Remote

Have had the Harmony Remote 695 for about three months now and it is the best thing since sliced bread, I cannot say enough about it. Customer service is fantastic and no I am not selling them, but they are now showing up in alot of street type store (BB and CC have them).
I have the Dish 811 and a Dish 721, plus 2 DVD recorders VCR and the Mits 65613. I have not found something that this remote can't do! I highly recommend this remote to everyone. :)

bassnbeau said:
Have had the Harmony Remote 695 for about three months now and it is the best thing since sliced bread, I cannot say enough about it. Customer service is fantastic and no I am not selling them, but they are now showing up in alot of street type store (BB and CC have them).
I have the Dish 811 and a Dish 721, plus 2 DVD recorders VCR and the Mits 65613. I have not found something that this remote can't do! I highly recommend this remote to everyone. :)

Check out the Home Theater Master remotes first. I have both a HTM MX500 and A Harmony 659 (Wife's). The HTM line of remotes is superior in every respect, especially build quality. IMHO

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Check out the Home Theater Master remotes first. I have both a HTM MX500 and A Harmony 659 (Wife's). The HTM line of remotes is superior in every respect, especially build quality. IMHO

NightRyder

Appreciate the commentary. Any experience with the Pronto Neo?

I have one, don't like it much (put fresh batteries in, didn't use it for 4 weeks, and when I did, found batteries dead AGAIN).

I am wondering how the Harmony and HTM remotes compare to the Neo ....

AcuraCL said:
Appreciate the commentary. Any experience with the Pronto Neo?

I have one, don't like it much (put fresh batteries in, didn't use it for 4 weeks, and when I did, found batteries dead AGAIN).

I am wondering how the Harmony and HTM remotes compare to the Neo ....

Sorry no. The other universal remotes I've used are the One For All and Radio Shack JP1 models. Those remotes carry the biggest bang for the buck and I would rank them second behind the HTM.

The batteries in my HTM last approx. 4 to 6 months of pretty heavy use. The Harmony is going on 4 months with it's original batteries, but it gets used much less :)

NightRyder

811 to a different remote

I am interested in either buying a Harmony 659, HTM MK700, OFA or RS remote. I want to run my 811 along with other components with it. How do you get the 811 to work with an IF remote? And any help with deciding which to buy would be appreciated.

antonio c said:
I am interested in either buying a Harmony 659, HTM MK700, OFA or RS remote. I want to run my 811 along with other components with it. How do you get the 811 to work with an IF remote? And any help with deciding which to buy would be appreciated.

antonio c, Check out this site. I think you'll find all the info you need there.

http://www.remotecentral.com/

NightRyder

I bought a Harmony 659 two days ago, and so far, I love it. Setup was easy. I have a Dish 811, Mitsubishi 55" TV, Philips DVD, and an RCA audio receiver, and all work perfectly. Shop around as you can pay as little as $114, to as much as $199!!
Tom in TX

antonio c said:
thanks for the info. How do you get the Dish 811 programmed into the Harmony?
thanks

It's included in their list of devices. You can go to Harmony's web site and go thru a demo on setting up one of their remote's. I find their web interface to be slow and clunky but YMMV.

NightRyder

antonio c said:
Thanks,
Any suggestions about the best remote to use?
thanks

I really like my HTM remote and the MX-700 would be my recomendation. If you really like to get into the programming thing the JP1 remotes (One for All, Radio Shack) are hard to beat for value. The Harmony remotes are fine for the technically challenged (my wife's remote. Shhhh :) ) but even though I own one, I'm not a fan. If they offered a stand alone application to program the remote, and improved build quality, it would improve my opinion of them.

NightRyder

I also should add that I'm controlling the following componets with my HTM MX-500. This includes every function from the factory supplied remotes plus discrete codes and of course macros.

Samsung HLN507W1
Denon 3802 A/V Receiver
Pioneer 568A universal DVD player
Panasonic 7670S Super VHS VCR
Dish 508 DVR
Dish 811 HD (in closet)
Dish 501 (In family room but also connected to my main home theater setup)

The 811 and 501 are controlled via a Xantech I/R repeater.

NightRyder

NightRyder,
Do you have Discrete on/off codes for the 508 and 811? I quick search on google did reveal any.

Thanks

For our system we're using a Pronto Pro. I have 800 CDs and 300 DVDs accessable, plus the usual 811 (still deciding if I want to keep it or not),6000, and 510 dish receivers. With the enormous help of the guys at Remotecentral.com I have all the movies and CDs individually listed on the touch screen interface, and can select music by track from the remote. Then the remote sends the commands to the megachangers and the music or movie starts. Also put a BMP of my kid holding a remote onto the Pronto touchscreen for that "personal" touch.
I have also heard great things about the Home Theater Master remotes, and am considering one for the family room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts